Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Scribbler 1 Factory Reset Program? — Parallax Forums

Scribbler 1 Factory Reset Program?

ercoerco Posts: 20,244

I just rescued a dusty Blue Scribbler 1 off Ebay and I'd like to restore the factory program to quickly test all functions. Can't find it on the website. Found the GUI but no worky on 64 bit Windows. And shockingly, scribblerrobot.com no longer works!

Maybe my buddy Publison can bail me out again, assuming the reset program works on 64 bit. Otherwise I'll dig out a 32 bit machine. TIA Parallax peeps!

I also just rescued another S2, which tested fine. I am starting to amass quite the collection. One day I'll turn the all on at once and turn them loose. Of course that would take a lot of AA batteries for the S1s & S2s. I'm spoiled, my S3s' giant LiPos have ruined alkaline batteries for me forever!

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2021-04-10 23:53

I think this is the file you need. The readme.txt says it is for 64 bit installs, there is no install program, just unzip to your preferred disk.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244

That's my Dawg! Thank you Boss!

• You got it bud! Let me know if it works.

Will advise, hopefully tomorrow. Too busy today playing with voice control for a paying project.

• Nice! Details? Enquiring minds want to know! TM

-Phil

I'm flattered you cared enough to ask, PhiPi! One of my smaller clients wants to test voice control in a dollhouse, but not a connected Alexa/Siri , so I'm finally using this trainable chip I bought 7 years ago and never used! It works surprisingly well. It's speaker-dependent, so you can train any words/phrases in any language you like. Makes sense for a low-quantity item.

This Geeetech chip does everything through serial commands at 9600 baud, so it could even work with a BS2. The limiter is only 15 phrases in 3 groups, so only 5 different phrases are "on call" at a time, so you can switch between the 3 groups, but it's clunky. There are newer chips with more memory, and some have direct I/O lines too.

The chip uses Hex numbers in the I/O so it took some experimenting to get it all working right, but I can say it's fun to play with... there may be a Voice Recognition BoeBot in the offing. I have ordered another one called "Simple VR" to play with as well.

https://www.geeetech.com/wiki/images/6/69/Voice_Recognize_manual.pdf manual

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1set-Speech-Recognition-Module-Voice-Recognition-Module-Serial-Control-Module/183516806347 or elsewhere usually ~$23 with shipping

video

@Publison said:
    You got it bud! Let me know if it works.

Worked perfectly! Thanks again, Keeper of All Things!

More speech recognition fun, I'm playing with this new preprogrammed module:

It works exactly like this demo, in fact it's being triggered by hearing this video and speaking in sync. Recognizes my voice perfectly, impressive. Trying to get the spec sheet in English from manufacturer Hi-Link. Chinese version at https://h.hlktech.com/download/HLK-V20/1/HLK-V20规格书 V1.5.pdf

~$7 shipped at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001696175456.html

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191

Slow to the party! Cool and cool! Glad you got a working old blue. I still have several and one sealed. I have all the software too.

Neat project too.

I'm actually talking to the manufacturer of that last voice control chip. They will do custom commands and voice output for a MOQ of 200. We could make a GREAT speech controlled robot chip...

Ken, you want to go in halfsies? Likely $4 each chip. That's DIRT CHEAP.

And Whit & everyone else, start thinking of what specific commands would be useful, also which output phrases.

First two are "Danger Will Robinson" and "I'm afraid I can't do that (open the Pod Bay door), Dave."