Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help using Prop Tool 2.4.1 — Parallax Forums

Need help using Prop Tool 2.4.1

I am trying to rerun the jonnymac webinar weeks 1-4, but I can't get the objects to appear in the prop tool 2.4.1 window. I apologize if this is posted incorrectly.

DougS

Comments

• Running Windows 7. Might be a permissions issue.

• Did you copy the my Library folder to the Propeller Tool Library folder? You should have a Propeller Tool folder under My Documents, and a Library folder under that.

• Yes, Idid copy the library folder contents.

The new objects do not even appear in the objest list window in prop tool. The folders do not appear, but when I try to add one . I suspect that this is some sort of permissions issue. Using Windows 7. Were there some special instructions on where to set the folders when installing Prop Tool/

• Did you do a standard installation, or customize it? That may affect where the Propeller Tool Library folder is located.

Look under My Documents. Do you see a Propeller Tool folder? If not, you need to locate this.

Win7 is quite old and I'm guessing Parallax did not do any test installations with it.

• Jon,

I may have made installation errors. I am reviewing Jeff Martin's Propeller Tool video from 9/3/2020. Jeff suggests moving the library folder to a different location. Let me work with this some, and I can re-post if I need further advice/help.

Thanks very much.

DougS.

• If you're comfortable looking at the Registry, that should tell you where the Library folder is located on your system.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069

Just downloaded latest PropTool V2.4.1

Opened my mpx_demo16.spin2 and went to compile. It thinks this is a P1 project.

How do I make/force for P2? I thought the .spin2 was currently the trigger?

• On the command bar it says "Use Commands>Configure Commands... to switch to P2". The file extension just tells it which syntax to use.

• Parallax's Propeller Tool depends on the file extension -- you should see P1 or P2 in front of the file name in the editor tab; this will confirm the compiler used for that file.

@Dave Hein

Cannot find "Use Commands..." anywhere

@JonnyMac

I see the P2: in front of the file name in the editor tab, but when I compile and run it does so for the P1 and cannot find the P1

Solution found - had not set a top level file. It's been a long time since I used PropTool. :(

• Ray,

The "Use Commands" think is in FlexProp, not Propeller Tool. I never use the Top Level Object thing -- this just means you must select the parent application tab when compiling.

• Sorry, I was thinking FlexProp, and clearly your using the Prop Tool.

I needed to verify my code also works with PropTool so I needed to compile and download. This required that I set the top object (right click on the tab and select top object). Otherwise, while implying that it was P2 from the tab filename, it was indeed looking for a P1 chip on the serial port and failed. I found this by accident as I clicked everywhere trying to find a P2 setting somewhere.

• Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments. Please give me a few days to digest them.
    Doug.

• LudisLudis Posts: 69
    edited 2021-02-02 22:15

I had a similar issue and when i clicked this button. I was able to navigate and see all my files. This probably won't be the solution.