Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Encoders for Stingray #28980 — Parallax Forums

Encoders for Stingray #28980

andradeaandradea Posts: 5
edited 2020-10-14 04:59 in Robotics
Hello Parallax Community,
I am using the Stingray #28980 chassis and motors for a team project. We want to purchase encoders for the DC motors on board. The motors are Part #27950, 7.2VDC, 310RPM, and have a 6mm shaft. Does anyone know what encoders would work well/accurately and are easy to program using python libraries?

Regards,
Alberto Andrade

Comments

• Well, here is a range of encoders

They have SPI versions which might be the best option for Python. Adapters for a range of shaft diameters.
  • Quadrature encoders are likely the most common type used in hobby robotics.
    Quadrature encoders are common enough that there should be suitable libraries in any platform you chose to use.
    I'm not aware of a suitable encoder in the Parallax store but I linked to some options in my reply to your other post.

If you provide photos of the motors you're using, it would likely help people in identifying appropriate encoders.

It's generally frowned on (it's likely against forum rules) to post the same question in more than one post. Not a big deal. Just so you know for the future.
  • Thanks Mickster, I am going to look into the variety available. Do you know of any libraries that are user friendly? I am not too familiar with SPI, and I do not want to spend extra time learning in depth about how it works.
  • I am not to familiar with how forums work, I will consider that next time. Sorry, Duane and anyone that might have been offended. All love!
  • andradea wrote: »
    Thanks Mickster, I am going to look into the variety available. Do you know of any libraries that are user friendly? I am not too familiar with SPI, and I do not want to spend extra time learning in depth about how it works.

Well to be blunt; I consider python to be a dog of a language and just because it's the language du jour, doesn't make it "great".

I suggested SPI because there is no way that python will decode quadrature signals at a serious frequency. The SPI devices hold the actual count for when python gets around to asking for it. SSI is similar.

But if we are talking low resolution/velocity, that's a different story.

I need upwards of 1M counts/sec and I achieve this with the Prop, using PropBasic which I personally regard as high-level PASM....it's amazing...Kudos to the author, Terry Hitt (Bean)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Mickster wrote: »
    Well to be blunt; I consider python to be a dog of a language and just because it's the language du jour, doesn't make it "great".

Thank you Mickster! I like your honesty, I'm writing you in for PotUS!

• That would be tremendous, really tremendous like nobody has ever seen and everybody agrees with that :+1:
  • Mickster wrote: »
    That would be tremendous, really tremendous like nobody has ever seen and everybody agrees with that :+1:

"I heard..."