Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PNut/Spin2 Latest Version (v44 -Data Structures Added, New Methods for Memory Testing/Manipulation) - Page 27 — Parallax Forums

PNut/Spin2 Latest Version (v44 -Data Structures Added, New Methods for Memory Testing/Manipulation)

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2020-08-13 20:38
    How many businesses is McAfee interfering with by reporting false positives? Perhaps letters to the BBB and FTC are in order.

Would be good to copy your member of Congress as well.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    PNut v34vb runs on my home machine with no warnings at all..

Glad you figured it out!
    edited 2020-08-15 20:27
    Getting an error trying to return a sign extended value...
    PNut doesn't seem to like this:

PUB GetAccelZ()
        return (accelZ signx 16)   'with sign extend

• Rayman wrote: »
    Getting an error trying to return a sign extended value...
    PNut doesn't seem to like this:
    PUB GetAccelZ()
        return (accelZ signx 16)   'with sign extend

Had to change to this:
    PUB GetAccelZ():i
        i:=(accelZ signx 16)
        return i   'with sign extend

That's a Spin2 feature: the number of values returned from a function must be explicitly indicated by declaring return variables. I think your first example would have worked as long as you had the ":i" after the "GetAccelZ()" to indicate that the function returned 1 value.

Never mind... I remember I need to declare return values now...
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-08-16 19:04
    Tried to open PNUT and Windows again delete all versions after PNUT VerS. VerV was working before but Windows deleted it also.
  • Publison,
    Publison wrote: »
    Tried to open PNUT and Windows again delete all versions after PNUT VerS. VerV was working before but Windows deleted it also.

Did you have the PNut v34vb version from here: https://github.com/parallaxinc/propeller/releases
    I'm not seeing an issue with that version.
    I just ran Windows updates and still no issue.

For reference I'm running W10Pro Version 1909, Build 18363.1016.

C.W.

• It only takes one day after downloading and unpacking before Defender removes PNut_v34v.exe.
  • ctwardell wrote: »
    Publison,
    Publison wrote: »

Did you have the PNut v34vb version from here: https://github.com/parallaxinc/propeller/releases
    I'm not seeing an issue with that version.
    I just ran Windows updates and still no issue.

For reference I'm running W10Pro Version 1909, Build 18363.1016.

C.W.

Yes tried that version again. Windows deletes every thing back to vers s.
  • So what changed between version r and version s?
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    So what changed between version r and version s?

Nothing of note, just some feature enhancements.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-08-16 23:46
    Bugger! Windows just deleted all my PNUTS post Ver_s. I thought Jeff had it worked out but Microsoft updates every day. What to do?
    My computer is now deleting PNut_v34v.exe when I download the .zip.

Aside from getting them to whitelist PNut.exe, I don't think there's much we can do about it.
  • My Pnut_v34v just got deleted in the past couple of hours. It was there at 8am, gone by 10.15am It was installed 4 days ago on 13/8

You're just going to have to put a new version out every 3 days Chip. Needs a new subscription style, delivery to inbox every 3 days

The EULA can state that this program is scheduled to self destruct in 4 days, "mission impossible" style...

• Did you download the version marked v34vb that is signed? I also installed on the 13th and it just ran fine, though Windows Defender has been pretty aggressive with PNut in the past.
    Latest version worked for me as well with no warnings...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Latest version worked for me as well with no warnings...

Wait a day. It may be gone on a Win machine. :(
  • I started testing how badly I needed ANY Anti-Virus before the pandemic started.

My computer appears to be working fine. I do lots & go many places on the internet, too.

I don't care anymore.
  • AJLAJL Posts: 512
    edited 2020-08-17 06:22
    For PNut_v34v (not the signed version),
    On a Win10 Pro version 1903, Virus & threat protection reported
    Threat detected: Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.B
    Alert level: Severe
    Category: Trojan
    Details: This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

I was able to Allow on this system, and then restore the software, after which it ran fine.

I'll report back if it tries to remove it again.

Edit: Based on the virustotal.com report it looks like McAfee is the source that the OS is listening to for this.
  • @AJL Is the below how you added your exclusion?
    657 x 808 - 126K
    395 x 880 - 36K
    614 x 333 - 22K
    546 x 288 - 8K
  • @kg1 No, There was a button with a drop-down menu which included 'Allow'. Then the next screen had a button with a drop-down menu for 'Remove' or 'Restore'.

If it comes up again I'll take screenshots, although in Protection History it does state 'This threat or app has been allowed and will not be remediated in the future.'

I imagine that it may leave me exposed to the Trojan appearing in other apps, but the machine in question isn't my daily drive so I'm not too concerned. I would expect others to be concerned at taking such a step on their main computer.
    edited 2020-08-17 20:23
    Just checked my PC and v version is still there...
    Maybe I'll try to download again...

I can still download and run the version that is here:
    https://propeller.parallax.com/p2.html#software

I even saw a popup "scanning for viruses" and it cleared...

Note: I'm just using Windows Defender for A/V on this machine...

Update: Just updated to the newest version of Win10 and still works...
    I added a logic analyzer DEBUG display:

LogicAnalyzerScreenShot.png

Here is the code that drives it:
    _clkfreq = 200_000_000

PUB go() | i

debug("`logic lan samples 64 'count' 8 'rnd' 4 'ct'")
      debug("`lan trigger $C3F $C00")

repeat
       debug("`lan ", uhex_(i++ & $FF + (getrnd() & $F) << 8 + getct() >> 9 & $1000))
       waitms(1)

An MP4 file is below...
  • AJLAJL Posts: 512
    edited 2020-08-18 01:21
    Updated to version 2004 of Win 10 Pro and the copy of PNut_v34v is not flagged as a threat, but when downloading a fresh copy it is flagged aa Trojan Zpevdo.B. Strange.

Edit: The PNut_v34vb from Github isn't flagged as a threat.
    I also found a problem with my LOGSCALE calculations. Got it straightened out:

LogScale.png
    _clkfreq = 200_000_000

PUB go() | i, j

debug("`scope_xy mag size 300 range 25 samples 0 dotsize 2 logscale")

repeat i from -25 to +25
        repeat j from -25 to +25
          debug("`mag ", sdec_(i,j))
          waitms(1)

665 x 688 - 22K
  • roglohrogloh Posts: 5,122
    edited 2020-08-18 04:14
    Looks good Chip! This logic display stuff will certainly be very helpful for some signal debugging. If this also gets coupled with a high speed logging COG in the P2 itself designed to record pin states to hub at full P2 clock speed and then output them serially to your display, it will be very useful. Not too many micros will have that type of capability I would expect.

A while ago to debug HDMI data I was able to capture HDMI pins at 252 MHz with a COG using stuff Brian had figured out and then send this data to a PC to analyze, but I needed some mucking about writing custom utilities to try to process/analyze it. The display you came up with could have been very useful and let you debug things right away. If there was a mouse cursor that displayed the current hex/dec/ascii values of each coloured trace at each sample point that the mouse was over that would be good too. But I know you could begin to add features all day. Simple is good.
    rogloh wrote: »
    Looks good Chip! This logic display stuff will certainly be very helpful for some signal debugging. If this also gets coupled with a high speed logging COG in the P2 itself designed to record pin states to hub at full P2 clock speed and then output them serially to your display, it will be very useful. Not too many micros will have that type of capability I would expect.

A while ago to debug HDMI data I was able to capture HDMI pins at 252 MHz with a COG using stuff Brian had figured out and then send this data to a PC to analyze, but I needed some mucking about writing custom utilities to try to process/analyze it. The display you came up with could have been very useful and let you debug things right away. If there was a mouse cursor that displayed the current the hex/dec/ascii values of each coloured trace at each sample point that the mouse was over would be good to. But I know you could begin to add features all day. Simple is good.

Good idea about the mouse cursor showing the value.
  • Ideas about advanced possibilities of debug output:
    Export as csv.
    Fft.
    Moving average and moving standard deviation.
    Waterfall diagram with time as 3rd axis for xy or Fft.

I still think, it would be very useful if debug could output the source code line number. So you can place multiple debug statements to track a variable.

But these things are not top priority for P2 I think.
    edited 2020-08-19 20:54
    I just posted a new PNut_v34w at the top of this thread. It includes the new 'logic' DEBUG display and a few bug fixes. More to come soon.
  • We've signed and rechecked the v34w as PNut_v34wb, downloadable from here: https://github.com/parallaxinc/propeller/releases/download/PNut_v34wb/PNut_v34wb.zip

This has been a long time coming... VirusTotal says only 1 out of 71 engines detect a problem.

The VBA32 engine (the only one left detecting a problem) is a Belarusian company, that seems to be labeled "abandonware" by some on the 'net, after their main engineer went to Kaspersky. I've sent it to their false positive "team" anyway to see what happens.