Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking for a working 1080p Demo program - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Looking for a working 1080p Demo program

2»

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,947
    edited 2020-06-15 01:08
    Above image is 720p 16bpp @24Hz over native HDMI.

This is on my little 15" LCD TV that I use sometimes for testing...

This was a good exercise for me as I think I found a pretty major but usually insignificant bug in my HyperRam code...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    I just got this going with HyperRam loaded via uSD:

Nice to see how it looks and to know that it is possible. How long did it take to load from SD? I'm guessing this is over VGA rather than HDMI?
    No, this is native HDMI! I think someone figured this out a long time ago... Maybe it was @Ariba. Anyway, @Ariba reminded me about this earlier in this thread.
    edited 2020-06-15 01:52
    720p (@24Hz, 16bpp) using the "Digital Video Out" adapter from Parallax for the P2 Eval board in combination with the HyperRam board is really nice!

Means you can show a high quality image using very few components with an HDMI cable.

This is only going to work on a TV with HDMI input though. It probably won't work with a monitor. Those almost always want ~60Hz refresh, minimum.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    Rayman wrote: »
    No, this is native HDMI! I think someone figured this out a long time ago... Maybe it was @Ariba. Anyway, @Ariba reminded me about this earlier in this thread.

No it was not me. As I wrote it was Chip himself. Saucy pointed me to his code from mid 2019. I just modified the streamer settings to make it work with the new silicon.

Andy
    edited 2020-06-15 03:27
    I think I remember Chip discussing this now... Seems like eons ago...

While my main applications tend toward the PC monitors that only work ~60Hz or more. This, does open up a lot of options for my home activities, where might want to show things on a TV.
    720p is way, way better than 480p. 24 Hz does limit how fast things can update, but maybe not so bad if it's not a game...

If we had a jpeg decoder going, maybe we could do 720p video. Or, maybe we already can, for short videos anyway using eMMC...
    TVs are tending to now have only HDMI inputs, so this is really great.
  • Yes a fast JPEG decoder would be nice for P2. I wonder how fast we could get it to run.
    So, seems you can do 1080p @11Hz and see on a DLP projector. See here:
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/171607/
  • Well, cartoons range from 6 to 15 FPS...
    Sweet!

Doesn't work at all with my Insignia 32" Fire TV.

Didn't work at first with my DLP projector. But, when I jumpered 5V to the 5V pin there, it worked! I think it's because I have an HDMI switch there... Looks like the switch doesn't work unless it sees 5V.

Is this what it is supposed to look like?

Seems I was wrong about my 32" Fire TV... Now, the 720p @24 Hz works. Maybe because of the jumper I added to the Digital Video Out for the 5V output...
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
    3024 x 4032 - 3M
  • I had to jumper the 5V pin too.
    Now hdmi works fine on my tv/monitors
  • The jumper also solved it for Rjsm, and me too.

@VonSzarvas we need to get this info into the accessories docs and/or schematic for that digital video board
    Has WVGA (800x480) over hdmi been demonstrated yet?
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,284
    edited 2020-06-16 16:13
    Tubular wrote: »
    The jumper also solved it for Rjsm, and me too.

@VonSzarvas we need to get this info into the accessories docs and/or schematic for that digital video board

Thanks for the heads-up. Will get this actioned today, and also make sure we add a 2-pin shunt/jumper to the next rev of that board.

Edit: Docs updated.
    I wonder why the only example we have is 16bpp... Can you not do HDMI with 8bpp or less?
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2020-06-16 14:40
    Hi VonSzarvas

Wouldn't be advisable to configure that "2-pin shunt/jumper" land pattern(s) to allow mounting a low-valued series resistor too (could be eventually a tiny 0 Ohm one), in order to avoid or at least mitigate the effects from any "otherwise unnavoidable incidents" caused by 5V-shortings with pcbs, components and its surroundings?

Only a thought...

Henrique
  • Yanomani wrote: »
    Hi VonSzarvas

Wouldn't be advisable to configure that "2-pin shunt/jumper" land pattern(s) to allow mounting a low-valued series resistor too (could be eventually a tiny 0 Ohm one), in order to avoid or at least mitigate the effects from any "otherwise unnavoidable incidents" caused by 5V-shortings with pcbs, components and its surroundings?

Only a thought...

Henrique

Good point, and I think the 2-pin 0.1" footprint provides that flexibility. You could shunt it or drop a resistor across there. Or Both !
    The resistor could be leaded, or an 0603 or 0805 should fit nicely between the 0.1" pads too.
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    I wonder why the only example we have is 16bpp... Can you not do HDMI with 8bpp or less?

Sure you can. The scope demo works with 8 bpp and my 1024x567 example earlier in this thread uses 2 bpp.