Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Revision C Delivery Update (updated 4-16-2020) — Parallax Forums

P2 Revision C Delivery Update (updated 4-16-2020)

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2020-04-16 17:37 in Propeller 2
Hello,

Seems the day after we provide an update, it's already an outdated update. I'll be posting these in their own threads to keep the visibility high.

Today we received this from ON Semiconductor, paraphrased since their e-mail isn't for general distribution.
The enhanced community quarantines in the Philippines are affecting production lines and support with a skeletal workforce that comes to the factory. As of the moment, we cannot provide a firm update on the overall impact on the schedule.

The build for the 1st partial delivery was initially scheduled for assembly completion this week with shipment to ON Semiconductor next week and to Parallax the week after (mid-April). At this stage, it's safe to say the delivery schedule is on a day-for-day slip until the packaging factory comes back to full production. Your guess is as good as ours - but weeks are likely and months are possible depending on the COVID-19 situation in the Philippines.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    I was planning on hoarding some chips as soon as they came out.
    But now, I'm stuck teleworking for who knows how long and can't really buy anyway.

So, I'm sorry to hear about this delay, but if others are in my boat, may not be a huge setback.
  • Rayman wrote: »
    I was planning on hoarding some chips as soon as they came out.
    But now, I'm stuck teleworking for who knows how long and can't really buy anyway.

So, I'm sorry to hear about this delay, but if others are in my boat, may not be a huge setback.
    I'm not sure why anyone would horde the Rev B chips. No point in buying them unless you have a product to put them in. Otherwise you might as well wait for the Rev C production chips. I guess the Rev B chips could be collectors items some day but I don't think I'd risk my retirement on investing in them! :smile:

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    Sorry, I was talking about Rev.C chips. Was going to order a bunch as soon as they came in...
  • Again for those new people reading this:

There's nothing wrong with Rev B. A minor change was made at the edge of the chip.

Rev C has reduced some analog input crosstalk between adjacent A-B pin pairs but is functionally identical in every other way to Rev B.

This change does not affect digital I/O or internal calculations in the cores. Rev C even reports the same chip version as B.
  • Yikes, not good. I see that there are 48 4-packs for sale. Its it possible to take the delay time and design / make a P2 FLiP module. There is no way I can pick and place, or hand solder the P2. Including a good & quiet power IC chip(s). No frills, Single clock crystal, maybe USB, that's it. Even if I only had 32 i/o pins I would be very happy.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    PropGuy2 wrote: »
    Yikes, not good. I see that there are 48 4-packs for sale. Its it possible to take the delay time and design / make a P2 FLiP module. There is no way I can pick and place, or hand solder the P2. Including a good & quiet power IC chip(s). No frills, Single clock crystal, maybe USB, that's it. Even if I only had 32 i/o pins I would be very happy.

Peter's P2D2 is pretty much a P2 FLiP. Hard to get things much smaller than that, and options added were packed into the spare space in the corners.
  • jmg wrote: »
    PropGuy2 wrote: »
    Yikes, not good. I see that there are 48 4-packs for sale. Its it possible to take the delay time and design / make a P2 FLiP module. There is no way I can pick and place, or hand solder the P2. Including a good & quiet power IC chip(s). No frills, Single clock crystal, maybe USB, that's it. Even if I only had 32 i/o pins I would be very happy.

Peter's P2D2 is pretty much a P2 FLiP. Hard to get things much smaller than that, and options added were packed into the spare space in the corners.
    Well, I thought that my first Prop boards were small enough. They were the only ones that could fit (barely) into a breadboard. Then Parallax released the FLiP. Probably, PropGuy2 will manage to design a smaller board, if he leaves 32 pins out.

Anyway, I'm always curious to see new designs.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2020-03-27 19:10
    I have a 1”sq pcb in the works with 0.05” pins around the edge (20 per side).
    It has 20MHz xtal, bypass caps, linkable transistor reset circuit or series cap.
    No regulators so requires 3V3 and 1V8, no FLASH or uSD.
    I have 0.05” pitch pin headers and sockets - pins are x50 and sockets are x40 so you’ll need to cut them yourself.
    Designed to be an easy to use P2 module. Probably not easy to unplug so consider it permanently attached to your pcb.

Also have a larger pcb with VGA or mini/micro HDMI (not decided which), USB-A (keyboard), uSD, 3V3 and 1V8 sot223 3pin regulators (not switchers). Probably no FLASH.
  • Cluso99 - The 1"sq inch PCB would be great. The 3v3 and 1v8 regulators are problematic if they are not matched to / comparable with your P2 chip module, likewise any USB programming port. I can design & manufacture an auxiliary PCB but knowing the pinout sequence on your PCB is nice to know. Most engineers are OK with designing their own VGA, HDMI, uSD card , FLASH layouts.
  • Any P2 Revision C Delivery news?
  • P2 chips are packaged in the Philippines, which is currently experiencing a stay-at-home order by Duterte. Considering violators of the order could be shot, the packaging plant is closed.

If this takes too much longer we will ask about alternatives, but we have little control.

Ken Gracey
  • Thanks Ken, then I have to use the P2-ES Board Rev B for first tests. Is there now a distributor in Germany / Europe or do I have to order the board in the Parallax shop?

Uwe
  • wummi wrote: »
    Thanks Ken, then I have to use the P2-ES Board Rev B for first tests. Is there now a distributor in Germany / Europe or do I have to order the board in the Parallax shop?

Uwe

Is this Uwe the brother of Jens by chance?

Until we bring Mouser, Digi-Key and RS Components up to speed it'll need to be direct. I can appreciate that this is expensive for our European customers and not their preference. The reason we haven't activated the larger distributors is that we're not quite ready for a false start where people's expectations are beyond what we can meet.

Choose USPS on checkout - it's the cheapest way.

Ken Gracey
  • Chip, get out of bed quick! We have some work to do!

All, we have some good news from the P2 packaging company in the Philippines. The Parallax build effort is scheduled to start on April 24 and projected to ship to Parallax (all 7500 units) by June 9, 2020. The date will likely shift around based on final testing.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Chip, get out of bed quick! We have some work to do!

All, we have some good news from the P2 packaging company in the Philippines. The Parallax build effort is scheduled to start on April 24 and projected to ship to Parallax (all 7500 units) by June 9, 2020. The date will likely shift around based on final testing.

Ken Gracey
    Great news! Congratulations! This is becoming real finally.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    That's a little surprising given the Philippines was late to lock down. Hopefully the hygiene plan is strict.

• Thanks Ken, good news