Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Over Clocking Prop 1 "C" — Parallax Forums

Over Clocking Prop 1 "C"

I would like to try over clocking the prop. My reason is too try and gain a little speed. I will probably be using the Propeller Project Board USB to attempt this(product #32810). It looks like by using the 6.25MHZ crystal, 100MHZ can be achieved.

My question is in simple IDE C where does a person change the config from the default frequency? For some reason I cannot find it.

Thanks
Shawn A.

Comments

• ShawnaShawna Posts: 508
    edited 2020-02-29 08:01
    Oops, I meant to put this in the P1 section!

ModEdit : Moved !
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2020-02-29 03:39
    Overclocking requires correct bypass capacitors and track routing. Not every board can be overclocked to the same frequency.
    I overclock many of my boards to 104MHz although they easily run over 110MHz. My last board I run at 96MHz because I wanted to do bit-banged USB although I never got around to it.
    IIRC Chip said around 114MHz is the maximum PLL although Sapieha had my TriBlade (DIP40) running at 115MHz for weeks.
    So, YMMV.
  • Shawna wrote: »
    I would like to try over clocking the prop. My reason is too try and gain a little speed. I will probably be using the Propeller Project Board USB to attempt this(product #32810). It looks like by using the 6.25MHZ crystal, 100MHZ can be achieved.

My question is in simple IDE C where does a person change the config from the default frequency? For some reason I cannot find it.

Thanks
    Shawn A.

It appears that you can define a custom config file with the appropriate clock frequency you want to use. Here is an excerpt from then SimpleIDE User Guide:
    Special Clock Boards
    If the Propeller development board does not use an 80 MHz system clock, or has an odd crystal
    configuration, a board type can be created to set the clock frequency (typically crystal frequency times
    wind-up multiplier; specified by PLLx mode). Board configuration files can be placed in the project folder,
    but it is best to put them in the installation’s propeller-load subfolder.
    Assuming <SimpleIDE Installation Folder>\propgcc is the installation folder, define a custom board as
    follows:
    1. Copy the <SimpleIDE Installation Folder>\propgcc\propeller-load\hub.cfg file to
    <SimpleIDE Installation Folder>\propgcc\propeller-load\custom.cfg (or choose a name that does
    not have spaces).
    2. Change clock frequency or clock mode in custom.cfg, and save the file.
    3. If you want the board type to be available in the Project Manager’s Board Type dropdown (even
    in Simple View), open boards.txt (from the same folder) and add your custom board’s filename to
    the list. Boards.txt is a filter; if boards.txt is removed then all board types will be available in
    Simple View upon refresh.
    4. Click the puzzle piece near the Board Type field in the Project Options tab to refresh the
    board types list.
    5. Choose CUSTOM from the board type drop down box to compile and download for the CUSTOM
    board you just created.
    Note: RCFAST and RCSLOW board types are available in the board types list, but these should never be
    picked for programs that communicate through SimpleIDE Terminal because the timing is not accurate
    enough for serial communications.

Hopefully the above info answers your question.
  • Thanks for the info guys, I will try it out.
    It was way too nice outside today to be playing with the propeller!