Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Best route to develop on the new P2, which hardware do I go for? — Parallax Forums

Best route to develop on the new P2, which hardware do I go for?

ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
edited 2020-02-16 11:48 in Propeller 2
I'm looking to get back into P2 development after a long absence and have a few ideas that I am bouncing around with Baggers.

What is the best board to purchase with the latest silicon?

Is it the P2 ES Evaluation Board or is there something else?

Are there any members of the forum developing boards already?

Thanks,

Coley

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-02-16 12:38
    The Rev B Evaluation Board is the latest and greatest

and the Accessory Kit to go with it.

It would be great to have you two working on Propeller stuff again!
  • Coley wrote: »

Thanks,

Coley

Peter is working on one, (and almost ready).

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168645/p2d2-an-open-hardware-reference-design-for-the-p2-cpu

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/170695/p2d2-with-p2-revb-taking-orders/p1

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2020-02-16 13:30
    Coley wrote: »
    I'm looking to get back into P2 development after a long absence and have a few ideas that I am bouncing around with Baggers.

What is the best board to purchase with the latest silicon?

Is it the P2 ES Evaluation Board or is there something else?

In addition to the Eval board that @Publison linked, you might want the Hyper memory breakout for games/video development...

https://www.parallax.com/product/64004-es

Top tip is to plug the HyperMemory into the left-hand side of the RevB Eval board (P0 to P15), as the latest version of the eval has those pins as matched length traces to meet the HyperRam/Flash specs and hopefully improve throughput by a hair.

You could connect up to three of the HyperRam/Flash modules to the Eval, keeping the top Eval edge connector for programming and perhaps the HDMI or AV breakout from the accessory kit.

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    @VonSzarvas

Thanks

What are the main differences between Rev A and Rev B silicon?
    Are they listed somewhere?
    Publison wrote: »

Thanks,

Coley

Peter is working on one, (and almost ready).

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168645/p2d2-an-open-hardware-reference-design-for-the-p2-cpu

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/170695/p2d2-with-p2-revb-taking-orders/p1

Thanks @Publison , I'll take a closer look at this.
  • Coley wrote: »
    @VonSzarvas

Thanks

Here is some info on the change from A to B:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gn6oaT5Ib7CytvlZHacmrSbVBJsD9t_-kmvjd7nUR6o/edit
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,897
    Check out propeller.parallax.com
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-02-16 15:03
    Keep forgetting about that site. It lists PNut v33L as the latest, but we are up to v34g.

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/171196/pnut-spin2-latest-version-v34g#latest
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148

Rev A silicon has few in the wild, and is EOL. Focus on Rev B (Rev B+) as that is what you will be able to get on newly ordered boards.
    Rev B and Rev B+ are the same verilog, rev B+ is the volume production parts with a metal change to slightly lower ADC crosstalk.
  • Can I use the original Prop2 board for anything? I got one but due to unexpected circumstances I never got a chance to do anything with it. I’m ready to try doing something with the new prop2
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    DiverBob wrote: »
    Can I use the original Prop2 board for anything? I got one but due to unexpected circumstances I never got a chance to do anything with it. I’m ready to try doing something with the new prop2

It's missing a lot of features that the newer silicon has and you'd need to use the tools that were made for it at the time. Everything has moved forward since then.

Maybe we should come up with a price for replacing the P2 on older Eval boards. It's a tedious process. I don't think we'd want to do too many, as it ties up our best assembly person. We'd have to charge $50, or so. Would you be interested in that?
  • DiverBob wrote: »
    Can I use the original Prop2 board for anything? I got one but due to unexpected circumstances I never got a chance to do anything with it. I’m ready to try doing something with the new prop2

Yes, of course. Grab an older fastspin compiler and make it into a permanent project or a wall or desk display.

But do realize we're collectively not going back to rev A. Your PLL isn't very good so video will be wobbly, there's some sign extension bugs in certain hardware, and addpins and certain pointer instructions won't work. So you'd need to get familiar with all of this and rewrite code every time.

Rev A were very limited engineering samples, and we need to get them out of circulation and out of our collective mindset and conversations. Keep moving forward.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    edited 2020-02-16 22:00
    RevA has still been handy to compare against for testing. Particularly electrically. But, yeah, they're not going to be in the shop again.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2020-02-16 23:04
    @SaucySoliton do you mind posting your Rev A video capture code?

That's something I would do with my Rev A board actually.

Hey @Coley!

Right now, it's the Eval Board, Peter has just about completed his P2D2 board, or roll your own with some loose chips.

The Eval is a great little package. Using the add on boards are easy. To me, that package is like the Demo Board was, only with modular reference circuits rather than everything baked into the board. If you do go that route, getting two accessory sets can make sense when you want to do the same task multiple times.

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-02-17 00:12
    The P2D2 has been out before the P2 chip was even available and the latest revision has been completed many months ago but I now need to push out these orders :)

There's also the P2LAB dev board which the P2D2 plugs into as a module and then there's P2PAL that is a thin smd layer that goes onto the back of the P2D2 and supports HyperRAM, PSRAM, ESP32, and has a proper micro SD socket etc. But I'm holding off on this a bit until I get these orders out. I have enough distractions as they are.
  • cgracey wrote: »

Maybe we should come up with a price for replacing the P2 on older Eval boards. It's a tedious process. I don't think we'd want to do too many, as it ties up our best assembly person. We'd have to charge $50, or so. Would you be interested in that?
    I got the original board with lots of plans on testing it out but life got in the way and it sat there unused. I started trying to get back up to speed again by reading the P2 forums but it didn’t really kick in until I saw this thread that maybe the original chip had gone by the wayside. So if there is a way to upgrade to something usable, it’s appreciated!
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    cgracey wrote: »

I got the original board with lots of plans on testing it out but life got in the way and it sat there unused. I started trying to get back up to speed again by reading the P2 forums but it didn’t really kick in until I saw this thread that maybe the original chip had gone by the wayside. So if there is a way to upgrade to something usable, it’s appreciated!

You need the new chip. PM me with your details and we'll work it out.
    potatohead wrote: »
    @SaucySoliton do you mind posting your Rev A video capture code?

That's something I would do with my Rev A board actually.

Hey @Coley!

Right now, it's the Eval Board, Peter has just about completed his P2D2 board, or roll your own with some loose chips.

The Eval is a great little package. Using the add on boards are easy. To me, that package is like the Demo Board was, only with modular reference circuits rather than everything baked into the board. If you do go that route, getting two accessory sets can make sense when you want to do the same task multiple times.

I have the Eval board but it's revision A, that's why I wondered what the differences were.
    In truth it's probably going to be ok for the short term plan we have, I need to look in more detail at the docs.

Is the streamer and/or Video affected by Rev B?
  • Yeah, unfortunately. There was a verilog sign extension issue that affected modulator of composite video in the rev A chip. In rev B, Cgracey pulled apart the streamer and made some configuration changes.
    cgracey wrote: »

It's missing a lot of features that the newer silicon has and you'd need to use the tools that were made for it at the time. Everything has moved forward since then.

Are there any other differences between the PCB's? I seem to remember there being a few issues related to power?
    The PLL for the clock didn't work exactly right either...
    You had to pick 1 or 2 for the first divider...
    Also, it used a lot more power...
    Actually, the beginning of the Rev.B docs (at propeller.parallax.com) describes the changes to Rev.B.
  • On the P2ES boards, yes there were some differences mainly around power. Rev A boards had lots of jumpers to select local LDO regs. Rev B has a 5v master jumper that disables 5v power at the headers, to product from accidental shorts.

What are you going to code in, Coley? Personally, from a development point of view, I'd just get started with what you have, the differences aren't huge
    One of the changes that you have to know about for video is the streamer settings.
    They changed slightly between Rev.A and Rev.B.

I'd try to find a PNut from before Rev.B. It comes with some examples.
    You can also try to find a FlexGui from then too.
    Rayman wrote: »
    Actually, the beginning of the Rev.B docs (at propeller.parallax.com) describes the changes to Rev.B.

Thanks Rayman
    Tubular wrote: »
    On the P2ES boards, yes there were some differences mainly around power. Rev A boards had lots of jumpers to select local LDO regs. Rev B has a 5v master jumper that disables 5v power at the headers, to product from accidental shorts.

What are you going to code in, Coley? Personally, from a development point of view, I'd just get started with what you have, the differences aren't huge

You're right, the Rev A will do for now, we can always progress to Rev B if need be.

As for what we will code in, looking at the tools so far there seems to be quite a lot of choice but if Baggers has anything to do with it it'll be mostly PASM2 ;-)
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    It's not just the fixes, there is quite a number of new additions to the streamers in revB:
    - New immediate modes for serialised data to match the equivalent read-fast modes.
    - New immediate, read-fast and write-fast modes for varying DAC bit-depths.
    - New write-fast modes and smartpin paths for ADC sampling direct to hubRAM - Scope mode.
    - TMDS encoding for DVI/HDMI added to CMOD.

As a result, the mode number encodings have all been reorganised. Including moving bit-fields between D and S.

• What I did with mine:
    20191123_171536.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 3M
    I just remembered something...

Wasn't there a digital I/O glitch with Rev.A when changing both out and dir at the same time (as with drvh, for example)?

If so, something to be aware of maybe...

• I think this was to do with race conditions between the two signals, and they made it a constraint on Rev B so it wouldn't happen