Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 definition for KICAD library — Parallax Forums

P2 definition for KICAD library

I'm in the process of learning KICAD this weekend. Does anyone have a P2 definition that can be imported into the KICAD library? I'd rather not learn how to generate my own component definitions just yet. :)

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Look like Peter has KiCAD conversion in his dropbox.
    KiCAD can import PCAD exports from Altium, so you can get whole P2 layouts into kicad that way.
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/168645/p2d2-an-open-hardware-reference-design-for-the-p2-cpu/p1
  • Perfect! Thank you!
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    Is there a trick to this? I just get a blank board loading any of Peter's various files with KiCAD.
    evanh wrote: »
    Is there a trick to this? I just get a blank board loading any of Peter's various files with KiCAD.

Looks like the files there are old, and some are almost empty.
    Peter may need to save some more recent PCAD format files from his Altium designs ?

I find P2PCB-PCAD.pcb · 142.73 KB, which is a very early P2D2 rev (but ok for footprint harvest ) and that loads into KiCAD via File.ImportNonKiCad File and displays.

The PCAD pathway seemed to work quite well when I tried it, FWIR, only zones priority had some editing needed.

I also see there is good looking progress on a native Kicad loader for Altium too here
    https://forum.kicad.info/t/work-in-progress-native-altium-importer/20712

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-02-23 22:25
    Just checked that this does load into KiCad. I noticed that the polygon pours don't show up though, as used for ground and power but certainly all the footprints are fine including the P2.
    Hmm, maybe my KiCAD is different. Version: 5.1.5-52549c5~84~ubuntu18.04.1, release build. Here's the import menu for the PCB editor:
    Screenshot_20200224_112921.png
    1312 x 807 - 156K
  • I use the earlier Protel99SE, but this does not produce a Spectra .ses session file, however it does allow export in some limited formats including PCAD2000.

@evanh - if you find a way to handle the Protel99SE files directly then please let us know.
    What?! I'm confused. You had just said you were importing that to KiCad already.
  • I would like to use KiCad eventually but I'm stuck with using Protel99SE because I know it well, I have built up an extensive library, plus the user interface includes key sequences shortcuts which I use to the full for faster placement and editing.

So in Protel I can export to PCAD2000 which I did initially per requests when I first designed the P2D2. I don't use them myself. Now I just tried that again and opened KiCad and asked it to "import non-KiCad board file" and then selected the file type (near the open button in the dialog) as PCAD rather than the default Eagle, and it worked.
  • @ Peter Jakack
    [open button in the dialog) as PCAD rather than the default Eagle, and it worked./quote]

It worked for me in Kicad too.

It's amazing to view. Great!! design, thanks! Peter :)
    Hmm, maybe my KiCAD is different. Version: 5.1.5-52549c5~84~ubuntu18.04.1, release build.
    What?! I'm confused. You had just said you were importing that to KiCad already.

I think you hit a quirk in KiCAD design - to see that import option, you need to launch pcbnew stand-alone, not from the kiCAD shell.

Right now, the best path is Save-As PCAD format in Altium, and the File.ImportNonKiCad File works.
    As linked above there is a native Altium importer for KiCAD in advanced testing.
    Not sure if it can import way back to Peter's protel 99 ?
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2020-02-23 23:59
    I'm just learning Kicad and was proud of my single op-amp buffer board until I viewed Peter's P2 Board LOL

img
    1314 x 539 - 176K
    edited 2020-02-24 13:51
    [deleted]
    jmg wrote: »
    I think you hit a quirk in KiCAD design - to see that import option, you need to launch pcbnew stand-alone, not from the kiCAD shell.
    Oh, wow! That works. Thank you very much JMG! :)

edited 2020-02-24 22:49
    I've made a fresh start from the built-in Kicad TQFP footprints. Changed primarily the thermal pad size to match Von's diptrace reference pad of 9.6 x 9.6 mm used in the Eval Boards.

EDIT: Oops, had left the paste layer off and forgotten about it. Now need to learn how to make new pad shapes ...
    Just checked that this does load into KiCad. I noticed that the polygon pours don't show up though, as used for ground and power but certainly all the footprints are fine including the P2.

Can you upload these P2D2R4 files to the P2D2 links page, along with the original Altium file, and I'll give a link to the KiCad developer ? If he has PCAD and Altium files from same original, he can compare converters.
    Okay, finally got back to finishing the prop2 footprint, or more accurately a TQFP100 14x14mm with 10x10mm exposed pad. The top paste pads have been resized to suit the wider drill spacing I've used. I've also enabled a solder mask for the bottom GND pad as well as the top GND pad. It's easy to turn off again if not wanted.