Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$5 Alexa Smart Plug: First erco alert of 2020! — Parallax Forums

$5 Alexa Smart Plug: First erco alert of 2020!

One per customer. Weird deal though, the conditions say you have to be "invited through social media..." Must be a cookie or something, doesn't work every time, I had to empty my cart and restart at Amazon's home screen a few times before the "enter code" box appeared at checkout. Code is SMART5, see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZEEFNX/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not that these are the most useful things anyway, only good for dumb appliances, a lamp or coffee maker. But who among us can resist a good deal? :)

ASP.jpg
ASP.jpg 52.5K

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-01-12 19:18
    Didn't work for me. "Enter Code" was visable but

"The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase."

Maybe because I am Amazon Prime?

Doesn't matter. I got a FireTV for to same price.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Hmmm. I'm Amazon Prime too. Life is weird.

primeVSprime.jpg
    870 x 960 - 111K
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2020-01-12 23:18
    Publison wrote: »
    Didn't work for me. "Enter Code" was visable but

"The promotional code you entered cannot be applied to your purchase."

Maybe because I am Amazon Prime?

Doesn't matter. I got a FireTV for to same price.

Actually it worked for me. Anyway I went and bought one for my setup, which is the thing without it's speaker, I bought that idea earlier and connected to it a USB hub which contained an amplified speaker setup. Works fine although my cats find it amusing to talk to it and get growled back by it.

I did plan on waiting a while before buying anything from them, but a direct-from-Amazon sale like that was worth the Five dollars it wanted..
    ---
    Mascot asks, "Does the world really revolve around us?"
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    Worked for me, and this is the second time I have gotten one of these smart plugs for $5.
  • W9GFO wrote: »
    Worked for me, and this is the second time I have gotten one of these smart plugs for $5.

Okay. But is yours the talking hockey puck? Or one of the others? The really crazy part is this one:
    NEW PART DAY: SONOFF USB SMART ADAPTOR TAPS A NEW WIFI CHIP

I think I've got two or perhaps six uses for that one.
    edited 2020-01-13 01:01

Okay. But is yours the talking hockey puck? Or one of the others?

We've got the original Echos and a few of the talking hockey pucks.
    Mine arrived today... this thing is HUGE!
  • erco wrote: »
    Mine arrived today... this thing is HUGE!

And mine was just shipped a little while ago. It arrives in a locker in their building in Manhattan across from Mr. Kong's building tomorrow.

Now the important question, what style Alexa device do you use? Be warned they are also cat friendly.
    Hockey puck Alexa, said Don Rickles. Also Google mini, does thing go both ways as some do?
  • erco wrote: »
    Hockey puck Alexa, said Don Rickles. Also Google mini, does thing go both ways as some do?

I don't think so. I believe this is one intelligent outlet that's preconfigured for Alexa. They do sell them, by the way, as it happens Best Buy thinks they do, as does Homer's place.
  • One more spy in my home?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    yeti wrote: »
    One more spy in my home?

And all those spies can share with each other too ;(
    Soon there will no place in your house where you can have a private conversation.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    One more spy in my home?

Soon there will no place in your house where you can have a private conversation.
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    One more spy in my home?

Well there is something one can do about it.

Simply do not buy and place spy equipment in your home or on your body. Why should I allow google to put a NEST in my place? Or Apple or MS or whoever.

just my 2 cent

Mike
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    msrobots wrote: »
    One more spy in my home?

One more spy in my home?

Well there is something one can do about it.

Simply do not buy and place spy equipment in your home or on your body. Why should I allow google to put a NEST in my place? Or Apple or MS or whoever.

just my 2 cent

Mike

At times I can't help but think that people are insane to install all the hardware needed to create an Orwellian future into their homes.
  • msrobots wrote: »

just my 2 cent
    Guess what!
    I don't use such trash.
    One more spy in my home?
    If you already got one spy in your home then a few more won't make any difference.

Also, these smart plugs do not have any listening capabilities. They do not fall into the "spy" category.
    One more spy in my home?
    If you already got one spy in your home then a few more won't make any difference.

Also, these smart plugs do not have any listening capabilities. They do not fall into the "spy" category.
    W9GFO wrote: »
    One more spy in my home?

W9GFO wrote: »
    One more spy in my home?

?

the thing needs the hockey puck and waits for you to talk to it, the goal for it is to be voice activated, so where your get that 'no listening device' from?

curious,

Mike
    msrobots wrote: »
    the thing needs the hockey puck and waits for you to talk to it, the goal for it is to be voice activated, so where your get that 'no listening device' from?

The "thing" (smart plug) does not have any listening capabilities - it has no microphone. You can add a hundred of them to your home and the NSA will have no additional insight into your private conversations.

It also does not need the hockey puck, you can control it from an app on your phone.
    It also does not need the hockey puck, you can control it from an app on your phone.
    An app... so just an other spy... :-Þ
  • And in my case for my b-day I bought one which was just the guts, the speaker was to be user provided. As I reported earlier, I used a USB hub which contained the amplifier and speakers as well. It seems the app backend is not thrilled with the idea. It wanted me to work out how to have it connect to a real one, that is a Bluetooth attached one.

And of course setting up the "$5 Alexa Smart Plug: First erco alert of 2020!" device proved to be a real challenge. Fortunately the phone and I were up to it. Currently it and a lamp are in this room. As soon as possible they get their real base a different room.

Now erco brought us one <BLEEEP!> of a good thing for his alert and we should be thinking good thoughts for him. So we should stop deriding the problems faced by some of the other examples of technology that are available. I do not think the NSA is that interested in what we do, their charter forbids it. Same with the CIA.