Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Alternatives to ioBridge? — Parallax Forums

Alternatives to ioBridge?

A friend uses ioBridge devices to monitor such things as water temperature and level in large fish tanks. Unfortunately the hardware he bought is progressively dying and ioBridge stopped manufacturing several years ago. The web-based software is still supported.

Can anyone familiar with ioBridge suggest any alternatives that are simple to use?

Comments

• Parallax sells the eTape sensor. That can be used to measure liquids and fine-particle solids, I think. I don’t know about water temp, though.
  • The site is still up. Did your friend try contacting them and asking them for some form of support? They may have stopped making the thing, but that may not mean they've stopped supporting it.

I happen to know when it comes to computers, that the thing (except for IBM mainframes) they stop supporting them after seven years. But that may not apply to things like that.

Now why did both you write all of that with cats of both sizes watching?
    ---
    Mascot states "What the world needs is more snow."
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    TonyB_ wrote: »
    A friend uses ioBridge devices to monitor such things as water temperature and level in large fish tanks. Unfortunately the hardware he bought is progressively dying and ioBridge stopped manufacturing several years ago. The web-based software is still supported.

Can anyone familiar with ioBridge suggest any alternatives that are simple to use?

There are a lot of sensors available for temperature, liquid levels, pressure, PH, etc. so having a list of the ones in use now (and a data sheet if possible) would be a big help in finding suitable replacements. Another option would be to look at using a Propeller board as a replacement. I do recall seeing several aquarium monitoring posts over the years, and a search on the forum for "aquarium" gets 114 hits.
  • If you want a robust solution, I recommend the IoT Node by Sentient Things. The node sends data to ThingSpeak and you can build applications from that point.
  • Thanks for the replies.

It appears the CEO of Sentient Things is or was involved with ioBridge. Their software is still supported but my friend's hardware is failing, whether it's the modules or sensors I don't know. His is a commercial operation with quite large metal tanks.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    TonyB_ wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

It appears the CEO of Sentient Things is or was involved with ioBridge. Their software is still supported but my friend's hardware is failing, whether it's the modules or sensors I don't know. His is a commercial operation with quite large metal tanks.

It's hard to recommend suitable replacement parts without knowing the specifics of whatever is failing. If he provides a list of what parts need to be replaced, and as much information about each item (description, part number, specifications, data sheets, etc.) as possible he would have a better chance of getting replacements.