Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
parallax serial terminal 2 — Parallax Forums

parallax serial terminal 2

i have been building my own serial terminal for awhile now....for only one reason

i can use my computer to hold info and variables...

if the parallax serial terminal could act as a vitual sd card it would be helpfull for interactive pc/propellor programming

also i think being able to load the propellor from the serial terminal would allow for a lock-down on non developement computers

just an idea

Comments

• Have you looked at loadp2? It can already load programs and act as a basic terminal (on Windows 10 it even supports ANSI escape sequences now). So all that's left is providing some way to access files on the PC from it. I've also thought that would be quite useful. One option that seems promising is to use the 9p remote filesystem protocol to serve a subset of the PC's directory tree to the P2. 9p is a very simple protocol, and there are already several implementations of it that we might be able to leverage.
  • I've updated loadp2 so that it now includes a file system driver that allows programs on the P2 to access files on the PC. The protocol used is the 9P file system protocol from the Plan 9 operating system; I actually used the code from the Plan 9 u9fs file server for this, so it should be complete, although I haven't done a lot of tests yet (there's a simple example of reading a file in the testfile directory). My tests so far have all been on Linux, so perhaps there may be some issues on Windows. It's worth a try though.

• ersmith wrote: »
    I've updated loadp2 so that it now includes a file system driver that allows programs on the P2 to access files on the PC. The protocol used is the 9P file system protocol from the Plan 9 operating system; I actually used the code from the Plan 9 u9fs file server for this, so it should be complete, although I haven't done a lot of tests yet (there's a simple example of reading a file in the testfile directory). My tests so far have all been on Linux, so perhaps there may be some issues on Windows. It's worth a try though.

Wow! That's a nice addition!