Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax board over-heating! — Parallax Forums

Parallax board over-heating!

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of building a BOE Shield-Bot that can use IR and Visible sensors to get to a heat source. I also want the Bot to stop when the voltage through the phototransistors reach a certain voltage. As a result I have 7 components on my breadboard. 3 Phototransistors, 2 IR LEDs and 2 IR receivers. One of the phototransistors is connected to an analog input, so it can measure the voltage and the other components are connected to digital inputs.

The issue is, that when I plug in all of these components, the indicator lights for the breadboard and servos don't turn on and the Bot eventually starts overheating. Does anyone know what is happening and how I can solve it?

Comments

• Yes, I think I know what is happening and how to solve it.

You have likely shorted power to ground on the breadboard, or you've reversed the servos (make sure the white wire is nearest the silkscreen label identifying the I/O pin). Start by removing all of the components on the breadboard. Unplug the servo motors while you're at it.

Power up the board. Check your power supply with a voltmeter - you may need to replace batteries (I think you need 6.0V+).

Do you see the green power light again? Is the regulator heating up?

Ken Gracey
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    WOW.

When Ken (the president of Parallax) replies to a first-time poster with a detailed solution within 11 minutes (on Thanksgiving Wednesday), we can all be sure we've backed the right horse!

Welcome Master_Asante, and thanks Ken for the personal touch!

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    erco wrote: »
    WOW.

When Ken (the president of Parallax) replies to a first-time poster with a detailed solution within 11 minutes (on Thanksgiving Wednesday), we can all be sure we've backed the right horse!

Amen, Brother erco!
  • Oh, you guys are just fueling me on with your positive reinforcement.

Wonder what happened to Master_Asante, the original poster. I'm still concerned that the robot might be in bad health.

Ken Gracey
  • I agree.
    Oh the robot got better of course. But the big cat behind the problem made sure that the bot got better. And the two switched management.

Now erco how come there are more cats watching you at work all of a sudden?

---
    Mascot away on holiday. do not leave messages.
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Oh, you guys are just fueling me on with your positive reinforcement.

Wonder what happened to Master_Asante, the original poster. I'm still concerned that the robot might be in bad health.

Ken Gracey

Yes we do. You are doing a wonderful job keeping Parallax running and supporting Chip to do what HE is good at. As I have mentioned before you are running a very fine company very good.

This is not mentioned often here, everybody talks about how genius, smart, unconventional forward looking and humble Chip is. And he is, I met him a couple of times now and he is just a cool guy.

But YOU are also quite humble, smart, unconventional forward looking and doing a tremendous job over the last 20 something years and not brag about it at all.

I just wanted to put that out here for some reasons I do not remember anymore because I got distracted by my ringbuffer test running the test for the first time right on P2a and P2b and I forgot why I started this post.

Anyways, keep on pushing,

Mike