Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Simple Propeller Mini ? — Parallax Forums

Simple Propeller Mini ?

So in looking for a smaller MCU board than a Quickstart and something easier to program than a PIC I came across a Propeller Mini and ordered a few.

I'm assuming that I can develop a program in Spin on my well equipped Quickstart board and then, provided I only use those pins that are accessible on the Mini, load it into the Mini with a Prop Stick.

Am I not seeing something that would foul this up?

Comments

• Sounds like a very good plan! You've already noted the "accessible pins" caveat, so don't expect any foul-ups :)
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-11-14 19:37
    AGCB wrote: »
    load it into the Mini with a Prop Stick.

Did you mean programming with Prop Clip or Prop Plug?

https://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/32201-Prop-Plug-Documentation-v1.3.pdf
  • It also programs nicely with the WiFi Module. Look Ma no hands.

Mike
  • If you're looking for simple and breadboard friendly, have a look at the FLiP module. It's about the size of a 40-pin DIP (could be an issue), but has all IO available (Prop Mini does not), and built in USB.
  • I second the FLiP module. Super nice and has a decent price.
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    I second the FLiP module. Super nice and has a decent price.

+1 Still on sale. Almost the same price as a Mini.
  • FLIP has a switching power supply for more power more efficiently, but it converts directly to 3v3. PropMini has a 2-stage analog supply which converts to 5V then 3v3 via analog LDO regulator, which can be advantageous in situations with analog signals / ADC or when you also need 5V from a higher voltage or battery for a peripheral. Other than the power supply and programming considerations and the "missing" Mini pins, they're identical to each other and the Quickstart and all are a good basis for a project.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    If you're looking for simple and breadboard friendly, have a look at the FLiP module. It's about the size of a 40-pin DIP (could be an issue), but has all IO available (Prop Mini does not), and built in USB.

Late to the party but would also like to draw your attention to this direction.

We have many Propeller variants but those which have the highest volume are around for many years. There's a good chance our customers will still be buying FLiP modules from us in 2040.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken, I am totally forwarding that comment to my corporate masters. They are always asking awkward questions and that is a great answer to "why are we using this."