Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Documentation — Parallax Forums

Documentation

Hi All...
Been away for quite awhile. We've been moving from the moderate climate of the SF Bay Area to the blazing hot Central Valley. (The low 90's seem cool!)
Anyway, as I unpack, I'm finding Parallax parts I can't locate data sheets for!
Is there some repository for parts/modules that are no longer sold?
Thanks!

Amanda

Comments

• Parallax does keep some of their older parts find-able on their current website, so you could try searching there. You could also post here the part(s) you need data/info for and perhaps someone will have what you are looking for.

You could also try the Wayback Machine and search the Parallax site from the past...
  • Amanda, throw out some part numbers and I'll have a look on my hard drives. I've stashed a lot of documents over the years. I'm sure other members have done the same.
  • I'll go along with the two chaps wearing brown fedoras. Simply toss out a number, and we'll see if we can match it locally. Besides, someone should also have the information located locally as well.

Central Valley, huh? About ten years ago, I took a really long driving trip cross country, and the trip portion that brought us into CA from AZ and the rest of the country might have loped over into it.

----
    Mascot off for the weekend, no method available for recording messages.
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2019-09-28 16:30
    There should be an independent documentation archive somewhere.
    Wiki it?
    This could be easily cloned and so would be a really robust storage.
  • Yes there should be. I agree with the chap who spends his days watching travelers through Tibet and might be related to the big individual who's in Northern CA someplace.

Seriously, I agree with you about these ideas.

----
    Mascot off for the weekend, no method available for recording messages.
  • We know the problem, but no one seems to support solutions:

Solving The Documentation Problem - Opinions Please
    Idea: "Propeller Plumbers" organization on Github.
    [github] rosco-pc/propeller-wiki/wiki

Please: Discussion in one of the mentioned places.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,739
    edited 2019-10-02 21:11
    Amanda,

Depending on how prehistoric your products are the documentation and code may be on a Parallax CD; remember those?

The Wayback Machine is great but sometimes the files that you need weren't archived such as when I tried to get the Halloween Sounds MP3 file from 2001.

• Amanda has not helped since posting. :) We need part numbers or description of the items.
  • Hi...
    I'm still around but been hella busy. My (part time) job seems to think I can work till I drop. :-(
    I'll try to find some part numbers this weekend. A couple of items are an IR thermometer and the first gen GPS module.
    Thanks for the advice!!!!!@

Amanda
  • Amanda,

If you mean the 28146 GPS Module then all of the files are on the archived Parallax website.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-10-04 19:53
    Genetix wrote: »
    Amanda,

If you mean the 28146 GPS Module then all of the files are on the archived Parallax website.

Pray tell where is this archived website?
  • Docs for the MLX90614 (28040) can be found on this page:

https://solarbotics.com/product/35003/

Look for "Documentation"
  • Publison,

Here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20100328101916/http://www.parallax.com:80/tabid/768/ProductID/396/Default.aspx

Unfortunately the same can't be said for the forums especially when there are links to the older numbering system.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-10-04 20:41
    "Archived" as in the "Waybackmachine". Not a lot of people know about that site. I use it often.

Just type "waybackmachine" in Google and it will direct you to the site.
  • What he said. I've met one of the people behind it, and he's an amazing fellow. Typically he's found at the VCF East events, wearing a top hat no less. Sometimes those dratted 2600 folk follow.

Now Pub how come there was a tabby (or tom) watching you type that?

----
    Mascot away for the weekend. Please leave your message at the sound of the moose.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    @ajward - Nice to see a post! Welcome back!
  • Still here! Work is slowing down for the approaching holidays so I'll have more time for hobbies... a gaggle of 'bots gathering dust, several telescopes cluttering the garage, boxes of HO train stuff, my breadboard Z80 computer and many books to be read.
    The weather has cooled down considerably so it's nice to sit out on the patio in the evening and enjoy an adult beverage. :-)

Thanks for the tips!!!!!!

Amanda
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    ... and he's an amazing fellow. Typically he's found at the VCF East events, wearing a top hat no less. Sometimes those dratted 2600 folk follow.

I have no idea how your comment dovetails into this thread, but your cryptic comments made me think of this fine fellow I met recently.
    640 x 360 - 71K
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2019-11-11 23:43
    Our awesome forum members are probably faster than me at finding stuff! But, you can always try putting the part number in the search form on our downloads portal or emailing support@parallax.com.
  • Hey All...
    Thanks for all the advice! I found most of the documentation I needed, though I found the Wayback Machine a bit difficult to search through. :-(
    Haven't been around too much at all. My inventory gig has picked up after the holiday slowdown and I find myself either counting stuff or sleeping (and, sadly, dreaming about counting stuff :->)

Good to see the forums still humming along!!!!

Amanda
  • ajward,

I do not miss doing cycle counts but I don't mind doing it so the lab is fully stocked.

(Can't stand have to look for or worst yet borrow stuff from others)

Steph Lindsay,

It would be really nice if Parallax had a place with documentation and code for Legacy (discontinued) products.