Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Convert BS2sx Interpreter IC back to basic SX28 — Parallax Forums

Convert BS2sx Interpreter IC back to basic SX28

Hi, Could anyone tell me please if it's possible to erase the preloaded interpreter in a BS2sx DIL SX28 so that it reverts to being just a standard SX28?
I know it's not possible to read that data but just wondering if it could be deleted?

Comments

• AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
    edited 2019-10-28 17:46
    Question for @cgracey I think.
  • It's been a long time since I've used the SX, so I can't remember if there's an OTP fuse. Even if there isn't, one would have to create tooling to get to the chip for reprogramming.
  • I'm not sure it's possible. Like Jon said, if a fuse is involved, it would be impossible. Given that , I have a couple dozen SX DIPs I can sell.
  • Many thanks for the replies, I guessed this might not be too straightforward:-)

It isn't something I have any immediate plans to try, and I'm ok for DIL SX28s at the moment, but having just bought a BS2sx IC to play with, plus resonator and EEprom, for less than I'd expect to pay for an SX28 it reminded me that for obsolete kit the original pricing structure becomes less significant than availability, so I was just curious as to whether it might be an option.
  • I really liked the SX when it was alive and supported, and created a lot of products with it (I helped with SX/B, so I had a good tool to use). Sadly, Microchip made the SX go away. Thankfully, we have the Propeller.
  • The MoBoStamp-pe (Parallax part number 28300) has headers for reprogramming the SX. You would have to make a transition board to couple it to an SX Key, but otherwise, the circuitry is all there. I don't believe there's an OTP fuse to prevent reprogramming.

-Phil
  • The MoBoStamp-pe (Parallax part number 28300) has headers for reprogramming the SX. You would have to make a transition board to couple it to an SX Key, but otherwise, the circuitry is all there. I don't believe there's an OTP fuse to prevent reprogramming.

-Phil
    However, if you reprogram the SX chip you would never be able to reinstall the BS interpreter would you? That would have to be done by Parallax I think.
  • David Betz wrote:
    However, if you reprogram the SX chip you would never be able to reinstall the BS interpreter would you? That would have to be done by Parallax I think.
    That's correct. Reprogramming is a one-way street.

-Phil
  • Thanks Phil,

I still doubt that I'd ever want to do it but it's useful to know the option exists just in case.