Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
One-Wire on BS2 — Parallax Forums

One-Wire on BS2

Ryan SmaglikRyan Smaglik Posts: 19
edited 2005-07-06 17:21 in BASIC Stamp
Are there any examples or instructions on giving a BS2 (not BS2p) one-wire abilities? I've ordered the thermocouple kit, and I need to interface it to the BS2.
said...
The following BASIC Stamp application will run on either the BS2p or BS2pe and demonstrates how easy measuring wide-range temperatures can be when using the DS2760 Thermocouple Module. Other Stamps will require a Serial-to-1-Wire protocol converter, as well as code to manage the large tables across program slots, and are not covered in this document.

Could someone provide a schematic for setting this up or detailed instructions and example code?

I'm guessing I need a maxim-ic serial to 1-wire interface, but I have no idea how to set this up with the BS2 and how I need to modify the example code in the DS2760 documentation to port it.
Buying another stamp is not an option for me at the moment, I really need to use the BS2.

I'm not worried about efficiency, just anything that will work would suffice.

This BS2 would be dedicated to reading the temperature from the DS2760, so I'm not worried about using up all the code space to implement this.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
--
Ryan Smaglik
Student, Milwaukee School of Engineering

Post Edited (Ryan Smaglik) : 7/6/2005 5:23:00 PM GMT

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-01 18:26
    If you really need to use the BS2 then you really need to buy and connect the DS2760 -- there is no other way to commincate with 1-Wire devices using a non-BS2p BASIC Stamp. That said, you won't be able to use the thermocouple program as presented anyway; it relies on the multiple-banks of the BS2p to store the calibration tables of the various thermocouple elements. You could probably find a multiterm equation to replace the table, but it would be a bit difficult (if not very difficult) in 16-bit integer PBASIC. So in addition to the DS2760 you should probably connect a floating point coprocessor (like the uM-FPU v2.0 available from Parallax) to handle the equation.

Do you have to use a thermocouple? Can you not use a DS1620 in high resolution (0.05 degrees C) mode?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • camtcamt Posts: 45
    edited 2005-07-02 03:00
    Further to Jon's reply:
    There is an application note on using the uM-FPU floating point coprocessor with thermocouples. See Application Note 6 - Measuring Temperature using Thermocouples located at:
    http://www.micromegacorp.com/appnotes.html

Cam Thompson
    Micromega Corporation
  • Ryan SmaglikRyan Smaglik Posts: 19
    edited 2005-07-06 17:21
    We require the large temperature range that the thermocouples can measure. This will be measuring temperatures around 400 degrees celsius.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --
    Ryan Smaglik
    Student, Milwaukee School of Engineering
  • This should answer the CM2302 post
  • This thread is 14 years old.
  • Still answers the question