Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo controlled robot — Parallax Forums

Servo controlled robot

Hi... me again!
Anyone have any experience building a bipedal robot using servos?
I put together two but balance seems to be a major issue.
Sharing experience or links to folks who've done this will be greatly appreciated!

Amanda

Comments

• JDJD Posts: 570
    There was the Toddler before the Penguin that was pretty cool. The robot is discontinued by Parallax but you can still get some good information from the PDF that is still available.

Looks like there is a site that says it's back ordered, but last I knew Parallax wasn't making them any more.
    http://davidbuckley.net/DB/inspired/Toddler.htm

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-09-28 13:01
    JD wrote: »

Looks like there is a site that says it's back ordered, but last I knew Parallax wasn't making them any more.

That was a screen shot from Nov. 2002 on Parallax's site.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2019-09-29 08:23
    Publison wrote: »
    JD wrote: »

That was a screen shot from Nov. 2002 on Parallax's site.

lol... thank goodness, I was thinking that site needed to desperately be updated. I remember when the Toddler left the product line. I just now scrolled to the bottom and saw the parallax copyright :sunglasses:
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    WELCOME BACK AMANDA!

It's been quiet here lately. Let's stir up the joint!
  • JD wrote: »
    There was the Toddler before the Penguin that was pretty cool. The robot is discontinued by Parallax but you can still get some good information from the PDF that is still available.

I have a toddler I scored on eBay. Curious little beast is Tippi as well as her friend Percival the Penguin.
    Been so busy lately. We moved into a house from a crowded apartment. So many projects to work on. My robots are scattered everywhere just waiting for a chance to toddle or roll about. Sigh! Their time IS coming.

Amanda
  • Actually guys, this is the sort of bot I want to operate...
    I've assembled two of the critters and I can get the servos to do what (I think) I want but the whole assembly doesn't want to cooperate.
    Trying to get them to walk has given me new appreciation of the complexity of the human body.
    I haven't given up on them but I've been beating my head on the desk trying to sort things out! :-|

Amanda
    400 x 398 - 22K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Nice. Izzat 8 servos? Static balance and dynamic walking are two VERY different things. The first Robosapien had an interesting warmup to walking, it would start with zero forward motion, just building up the sideways leaning until the feet picked up (dynamically). Only then would it start gradually moving forward.

Show us some more pics and video of what you've done so far.

This guy did IMO an outstanding job with his slow-moving Tai-Chi robot, all powered by tiny AAA cells.

• That's one of the most impressive things I've seen out of hobby gear. Bet that cost BUNDLE.