Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can the Stamp do this? — Parallax Forums

Can the Stamp do this?

Hello!
Yesterday from Micro Center in Brooklyn I bought two of these, adafru.it/3202 the website describes the thing as what's typically found inside a keychain fob camera. Right now I have it connected to a small breadboard, and power supplied via these items, a 150mAH LiPo and a switched extension cable, and matching two-pin JST connector on the breadboard. It is switched into single photo mode or video mode using a momentary switch wearing a white cover. (That came from a collection of items originally sold by SainSmart for the Arduino developer.) All of those items were originally sold by Adafruit, either directly or via the dealer Micro Center.

What I'd like to do, is setup a Stamp to switch on the device, and when the time is right take, say six photos, no video, and then end. I believe I have worked out how to have the device switched on, that would happen using a particular solid state switch, the CD4016 or CD4066, whichever works best.
This is the photo style it takes
PICT0002.JPG

For those of you who have not met me, that's me wearing a beard, suffice to say it was my cats ideas.

Suggestions please group.

Comments

• I don't believe that either the CD4016 or CD4066 has a low enough "on" resistance to power the camera. I would recommend a PMOSFET transistor with the gate pulled up to +5V via a resistor. Pulling the gate low with the Stamp will cause it to conduct and power the camera.

BTW, on my MacBook, the photo you posted just looks black.

-Phil
  • Okay Phil I'll consider your advice. Good as usual. As for the photo being black on your MacBook, interesting. Which browser are you using? (We'd need a response from someone else with Windows 10 and their browsers to confirm.)
  • Okay Phil I'll consider your advice. Good as usual. As for the photo being black on your MacBook, interesting. Which browser are you using? (We'd need a response from someone else with Windows 10 and their browsers to confirm.)

Oh and I forgot, power would be supplied separately. Common ground would be used. The switch would simply turn things on. Another would just trigger the photo taking cycle.

Of course I could use a pair of matched SSR devices......
  • using windows 10 and see also a black image

Mike
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2019-08-03 20:49
    Oh and I forgot, power would be supplied separately. Common ground would be used. The switch would simply turn things on.
    I figured that would be the case. That's why I recommended the PMOSFET instead of an NMOSFET.

-Phil
  • Hi Buck Rogers

The same perception here (mostly dark image), using both IE 11 and Firefox 68, under Windows 8.1.

Initially, I've attributed my difficulty in distinguishing any details to a recurring fever, due to another slowly-recovering pneumonya I've been suffering by the last few days, but, after I saw Phil Pilgrim and msrobots comments, about experiencing the same problem, I decided to try a very lean-mean image processing, using IrfanView 4.53.

Despite the poor quality of final results, at least I can see a face, wearing a beard, and glasses... Perhaps you, I presume! :smile:

Henrique

PICT0002_Processed.jpg

1280 x 960 - 48K
  • Makes sense all of you. Let's try a different photo, yes same person Henrique, namely me.
    PICT0000.JPG and PICT0001.JPG

Given the fact that the camera is almost the same as the ones found on most cheap phones, I suspect it is the processing hardware attached. Next time around I am considering the hardware to try and do stuff with it.
    1280 x 960 - 57K
    1280 x 960 - 54K
  • First image, although dark, was viewed OK in Chrome on Windows 7 and 10.
  • Ok on iPhone 6s in safari.
  • Okay that tells me that Macs have a problem with some photo sequences.

Of course AC you did forget in your list a very important individual, a cat. He wandered inside looking for a box, and a place for a nap, and food.

Anyway.... Next step is to find out if a three pin JST connector that Adafruit does sell via the website will fit the one on the device. And of course to figure out how to write the code to make things work....
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I found the original image quite dark on an iphone xs max and safari
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    I found the original image quite dark on an iphone xs max and safari

Okay...... Phil what was the one you were using? Thank you @Cluso99 I figured that would happen because of the room lighting, these things are sold at deeply discounted cost.... That is the assembled ones are. these are $12.99 from Micro Center for Adafruit, who sells them for $12.50.
  • Chrome on a MacBook Pro.

-Phil
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Yes, you can’t complain about the price.