Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Unofficial Parallax Continuous Integration / Build Server - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Unofficial Parallax Continuous Integration / Build Server

2»

Comments

• Hello!
    The cloud as a place... @DavidZemon does this server run on LInux? Or (Gasp!) does it run in a Windows environment? Oddly enough if you have an Amazon account as most of us do, it's possible to setup an Amazon Web Services account with a few clicks. I moved my website there which was originally running locally, because it was easier to do so, then to engage in a long discussion with my service provider. I've now downed the box it was running on and the services it provided, are now on a spare Raspberry Pi device.

In fact the costs AWS will want to bill your Amazon account for the activities is cheaper then buying the hardware locally and getting into a discussion with your service provider.

And this message is sponsored by the Wookiee Debating Society.
  • It is, in fact, running Linux. Ubuntu 16.04 (will jump to 18.04 when I set up the new server). I'm quite familiar with AWS and some of their competitors. In fact, I'm already using AWS S3 for artifact storage. When you go to my CI server to download the latest PropGCC binaries, you're actually downloading them direct from AWS S3. Thankfully, that's only costing me $0.94/month. That's a cost I can swallow.

But running TeamCity in AWS (EC2) would cost a minimum of $10/month (t2.medium), and that's if I pay for the full year in advance AND have a build machine somewhere else with more CPU power. I'd have to at least double or quadruple that to get reasonable build times. I've been running TeamCity for over 3 years now, so that's a lot of cost adding up. It's definitely cheaper to make use of old hardware lying around. I have free dynamic DNS provided by Asus that comes with my router, so once my dad finally flips the switch with Charter to kill his static IP, I think I'll set up a CNAME for david.zemon.name to point to zemon.asuscomm.com.
    It would be nice to get the user-facing TeamCity server out of my house, somewhere with a faster Internet connection... but no one seems to have complained over the last year and a half so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

If anyone else has idle computer hardware sitting around their house, the free license I have for TeamCity allows for up to 3 build agents. I have one, dgately is running a second (Mac).... we could start up a third one if you wanted...
  • I did run TeamCity for years, I especially liked the duplicate check for C#, sadly the company I am working for disapproved of it for stupid reasons and it had to be removed.

Mike
  • DavidZemon wrote: »
    It is, in fact, running Linux. Ubuntu 16.04 (will jump to 18.04 when I set up the new server). I'm quite familiar with AWS and some of their competitors. In fact, I'm already using AWS S3 for artifact storage. When you go to my CI server to download the latest PropGCC binaries, you're actually downloading them direct from AWS S3. Thankfully, that's only costing me $0.94/month. That's a cost I can swallow.

But running TeamCity in AWS (EC2) would cost a minimum of $10/month (t2.medium), and that's if I pay for the full year in advance AND have a build machine somewhere else with more CPU power. I'd have to at least double or quadruple that to get reasonable build times. I've been running TeamCity for over 3 years now, so that's a lot of cost adding up. It's definitely cheaper to make use of old hardware lying around. I have free dynamic DNS provided by Asus that comes with my router, so once my dad finally flips the switch with Charter to kill his static IP, I think I'll set up a CNAME for david.zemon.name to point to zemon.asuscomm.com.
    It would be nice to get the user-facing TeamCity server out of my house, somewhere with a faster Internet connection... but no one seems to have complained over the last year and a half so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

If anyone else has idle computer hardware sitting around their house, the free license I have for TeamCity allows for up to 3 build agents. I have one, dgately is running a second (Mac).... we could start up a third one if you wanted...

Oh okay. In fact I've got what Charter became, Spectrum in fact. And at the moment I do not have a spare system who can run your product.
  • msrobots wrote: »
    I did run TeamCity for years, I especially liked the duplicate check for C#, sadly the company I am working for disapproved of it for stupid reasons and it had to be removed.

Mike[/quote

Did they ever tell you what was the silly reason?

And where did that well dressed cat come from?]
  • msrobots wrote: »
    I did run TeamCity for years, I especially liked the duplicate check for C#, sadly the company I am working for disapproved of it for stupid reasons and it had to be removed.

Mike[/quote

Did they ever tell you what was the silly reason?

And where did that well dressed cat come from?]

I was not told, and no felines here, just a female Irish Wolfhound about 7 years old, standing on her hind legs about 8 ft tall, standing with all 4 legs on the ground she still can grab things from a standard kitchen counter. One reason why she weights 249 lbs.

Mike
  • pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
    edited 2019-07-06 15:40
    David, I have a spare machine on my network I'd be happy to give you full access to. It's a Dell Optiplex 380, cuts from
    hdinfo, free and pydf as below depict hardware, etc:
    cpu:
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2493 MHz
    Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz, 2493 MHz
    total used free shared buff/cache available
    Mem: 3971776 200064 2903640 2488 868072 3480144
    Swap: 2097148 0 2097148
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 457G 225G 209G 49.2 [########.........] /
    I could find some more disk to throw in it and since there's nothing on it that it is important to me am also OK with reinstalling whatever version of OS is optimal for you. I'm pretty sure there's
    Ubuntu 18.04 Server on it currently that I do update once a week or so. Internet speed is typically 70/12 or thereabouts.
    IP_ADDRESS TEST_DATE TIME_ZONE DOWNLOAD_MEGABITS UPLOAD_MEGABITS LATENCY_MS SERVER_NAME DISTANCE_MILES CONNECTION_MODE
    73.0.205.1 7/6/2019 2:55 PM GMT 68.9 11.71 17 Fort Lauderdale, FL 50 multi
    73.0.205.1 7/6/2019 3:29 PM GMT 68.96 11.65 23 Fort Myers, FL 100 multi

Let me know if and want to proceed and what you need if you want to use this machine.

Thanks, Mike R...
  • Do you have to have a static IP address to run TeamCity?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Do you have to have a static IP address to run TeamCity?

I asked the same question :)

If that machine has a static IP and fast Internet connection (upload far more important than download), I'd love to run the TeamCity server on it. I checked and the E5200 is the same speed as the AMD chip in the laptop I'm using now, so it wouldn't be very helpful as a build agent.
    David Betz wrote: »

If that machine has a static IP and fast Internet connection (upload far more important than download), I'd love to run the TeamCity server on it. I checked and the E5200 is the same speed as the AMD chip in the laptop I'm using now, so it wouldn't be very helpful as a build agent.
    I don't have a static IP address so I guess I'm out of the running.
    DavidZemon wrote: »

I don't have a static IP address so I guess I'm out of the running.

Build slaves don't need static IPs - slaves communicate unidirectionally with the server in a "polling" fashion: "Hey, got work for me?" So if you have spare hardware powerful to act as a build slave (modern Intel dual-core or any quad-core Intel or AMD Ryzen - any of those would be a big step up), I could make use of it. I'm working on putting together a Docker image so that the only thing you would need to install is Docker.
    edited 2019-07-06 16:16
    Re static IP: It's not specifically provisioned as such but it hasn't changed since I subscribed to Comcast 6/15. 4+ years and counting.

• pmrobert wrote: »
    Re static IP: It's not specifically provisioned as such but it hasn't changed since I subscribed to Comcast 6/15. 4+ years and counting.
    I wish mine would change. My email is hosted on fatcow.com and apparently at least one person on their shared IP address is generating SPAM because my email keeps getting rejected by Comcast. Ugh.
    edited 2019-07-06 17:12
    I checked and the E5200 is the same speed as the AMD chip in the laptop I'm using now, so it wouldn't be very helpful as a build agent.
    OK, understood. If the Docker container can run under Win 7 I have a rarely used i7-920 8GB also on the network. Also can speak to my son - I gave him an
    old Dell PE2950 server and he liked it so much he has 2 of them running a bunch of VMs (ProxMox). They're 3GHz dual Xeons with 32 GB with a few TB of disk available
    on a fast outside connection. Update: spoke with him, he's happy to give you a 18.04 VM or whatever you need. He just wants to know what resources the VM needs to be.

Mike R.
    If the Docker container can run under Win 7 I have a rarely used i7-920 8GB also on the network.

Yep, sure could. Might be nice to have a native Windows build box too. So far I haven't run into anything that can't be cross compiled from Linux, but I'll keep this in mind.
    pmrobert wrote: »
    Also can speak to my son - I gave him an old Dell PE2950 server and he liked it so much he has 2 of them running a bunch of VMs (ProxMox). They're 3GHz dual Xeons with 32 GB with a few TB of disk available on a fast outside connection. Update: spoke with him, he's happy to give you a 18.04 VM or whatever you need. He just wants to know what resources the VM needs to be.

Mike R.

This sounds fantastic! The architecture appears to be old enough that I wouldn't want to run builds there, but a VM with 2 CPU cores and 2 GB of RAM, with 100 GB of disk would be great!

I think you have my email address already, so just send me an email with IP address, user, and password once it's up and running and I'll start installing some stuff.

As part of this move, I think I'll also create a new subdomain, "ci.zemon.name"
  • David, he already created a 2 core 8GB VM before I received your message. He loves doing stuff like this. I'm awaiting the IP, user and PW. If you've never played with one of these older surplus servers you may be surprised at the speed. $125 shipped you can't go wrong! Except for the 300-400W power consumption and the fans sound like an airliner on takeoff roll...
    David, he already created a 2 core 8GB VM before I received your message. He loves doing stuff like this. I'm awaiting the IP, user and PW. If you've never played with one of these older surplus servers you may be surprised at the speed. $125 shipped you can't go wrong! Except for the 300-400W power consumption and the fans sound like an airliner on takeoff roll...

I have played with them before, and know EXACTLY how loud they are. That's exactly why I didn't consider old server hardware :P
  • DavidZemon, email has been sent with the info. Please let me know if anything needs to be tweaked.

Mike R.
  • Thanks - I did see the email and will poke at it later tonight. Looks good though :)
  • Thanks to @pmrobert & son, TeamCity is live on a new server AND NEW DOMAIN! And, BONUS, it even has a valid SSL cert for use with HTTPS! YAY!

Please enjoy the speedy, new, secure CI server at https://ci.zemon.name
  • Oh... to be clear... only the user interface is on the new server. Builds still occur on the slow Linux laptop and on dgately's iMac. But that should be changing soon too. No ETA.
  • but still very cool, thanks to all of you,

Mike
    The last Parallax said about the tools meeting is that it would take place after people had the P2-Eval boards in hand. Now that that has happened, I guess the meeting can happen at any time but obviously we need to get past the holidays first.

6 months later?
  • koehler wrote: »
    The last Parallax said about the tools meeting is that it would take place after people had the P2-Eval boards in hand. Now that that has happened, I guess the meeting can happen at any time but obviously we need to get past the holidays first.

6 months later?

And no communication with anyone (regarding GCC), as far as I know.
  • SimpleIDE builds are now working again. They are being built from within Docker now to provide a consistent build experience as the CI server gets upgraded over time. Docker definition here: https://github.com/DavidZemon/SimpleIDE/blob/qt5side/docker/Dockerfile
  • DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2019-07-28 21:02
    loadp2 is available in Linux (x86-64 + Pi/ARMv6hf), Mac, and Windows forms: https://ci.zemon.name/project/Loadp2?guest=1

I would appreciate it if someone could test the Windows binary.
    loadp2 is available in Linux, Mac, and Windows forms: https://ci.zemon.name/project/Loadp2?guest=1

Which the site says is for the Prop2 device. Okay, but you'll need to send me a Prop2 example to try out......

What about known working (or just known) binaries for Windows and Linux on the Raspberry Pi? (I mean for the other things you do write DZ.)
    loadp2 is available in Linux, Mac, and Windows forms: https://ci.zemon.name/project/Loadp2?guest=1

Which the site says is for the Prop2 device. Okay, but you'll need to send me a Prop2 example to try out......

What about known working (or just known) binaries for Windows and Linux on the Raspberry Pi? (I mean for the other things you do write DZ.)

The only thing I write is PropWare, which has binaries available for all of those platforms except Mac.
  • After using Docker for all things build-related over the last couple years, I've completely lost interest in maintaining an appropriate set of packages on a build server to build all of the things that the server knows about.

For that reason, I'm going to ask that anyone who wishes to add something new to my TeamCity server (or, for that matter, get an existing project working again) provide a Docker image name (or the Dockerfile to build that image) and the command or commands that will build the project within that Docker container.

I'll try to do this for PropWare soon, so that an example will exist, and I'm more than happy to help anyone that requests my help in building their own Dockerfiles. But if it hasn't become obvious from all the failing builds lately... I've lost interest in spending the amount of time maintaining the build configurations that I once did. There is a better answer for that now: it's called Docker.