Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How do you take a Propeller on an Airplane? — Parallax Forums

How do you take a Propeller on an Airplane?

Hey guys, I'm flying to Boston with my wife for her business trip. I want to take an activity board and some sensors to play with during the down time. Will TSA let me board with this stuff in my carry-on luggage?

Thanks
Shawn A.

Comments

• Have all the documentation with you and you should not have a problem. Just don't have thing wired up! :smile: Keep batteries stowed elsewhere,
  • ShawnaShawna Posts: 508
    edited 2019-06-21 22:23
    When you say documentation, are you referring to this?
    https://parallax.com/product/32912
    And if so should I just print it off?

I am planning on bringing a wall-wart, no batteries.

Can I just throw the jumper wires into a ziplock bag.
  • I have had two or three boards on a plane. I just have a binder with the documentation of the boards. I tell TSA that I'm doing a working vacation.
    edited 2019-06-21 23:06
    Thanks for the advice Publison, I will give it a go, but if I get cavity searched you're going to hear about it! LOL
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2019-06-22 04:10
    I always bring something to play with when out for training. Analog Discovery 2 module makes it pretty easy to have a full lab on hand. (although my last Cleveland and Boston trips were a bit expensive due to there being a Micro Center in both locations).

Just check it through. Never had any problems. Make sure you have some sort of docs as Publison said. Watch the rules on certain types of batteries.

As to cavity search, as long as you don't put any Lithium batteries in there you should be OK. If not, well you may not be OK. (See all sorts of things working in a hospital, hear about much more than I would have wanted. Gives new meaning to "can't unsee that"
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Problem is if they don't let you take it on, you've lost it :(
  • That's why I check it. Also, I use wall warts for power or standard batteries that I can just toss when packing out to go home.
  • I've placed my quickstart + breadboard in a cookie tin and brought on a plane in my backpack for use during the flight many times and never been given any trouble at all. No even asks questions about it. Earliest I ever did that was 2012, and the last time I did it was 2017 I think
  • So.... is it better to check it in or carry it on? I am over thinking this I know, its been 10 years since I have flown anywhere and its nerve racking to me!

So there is a micro center in boston, interesting! I have 3 whole days to do whatever I want, I might have to try and locate it.
  • If you are checking baggage anyhow and don't need it in-flight, why not check it?
  • If you are checking baggage anyhow and don't need it in-flight, why not check it?

If its checked, I wasn't sure if they saw something they didn't like if they would keep the whole bag! That would be a problem!
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2019-06-22 23:56
    Back during the Gulf War I was flying into DFW via Hawaii and I had this great big cardboard box that I had thrown all my development equipment including a Mac and all these bits n pieces and chips and wires and you name it and that at the last moment while trying to finish off before I left. Interestingly I got through customs without a hitch despite the innards lighting up like something fierce but my Italian leather briefcase toting friend got the deluxe show and tell grilling :)

btw, I couldn't take a Propeller on an airplane anymore ........ not unless it was a vintage Constellation :):);)
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I have flown with test equipment, spare boards, and electronic parts in my checked luggage as recently as February with no problems. I simply ask that my bags be checked at the oversized luggage/screening area and let them know what is in the baggage and what it is for. Done that for years and never had a problem.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2019-06-23 03:30
    Shawna wrote: »
    So.... is it better to check it in or carry it on? I am over thinking this I know, its been 10 years since I have flown anywhere and its nerve racking to me!

So there is a micro center in boston, interesting! I have 3 whole days to do whatever I want, I might have to try and locate it.

Right on memorial drive in Cambridge. Conveniently located in the same parking lot as a Trader Joe's. Just think, if they built a big roof over the two, it would be just like Fry's with indoor parking.......

Also with a bit of planning, depending on where you are driving from, it is possible to avoid the tool road in.
    edited 2019-06-24 14:43
    Well, my parallax toys made it to Boston! I put them in my checked luggage and there was no problem. I did however get stopped going through the 3D body scanner and patted down. I must have looked suspicious! LOL

Edit: I did print off the pdf manuals for everything I took, and left them at the top of the checkin bag! I did not take any batteries with me either!

Thanks for the Advice guys!

Shawn A.
  • If you do fly with batteries, always put them in a carry-on, no matter the chemistry. Usually they're fine with electronics as well; calling them "prototype electronics" is usually enough to not ask further questions.