Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 final release date ? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

P2 final release date ?

2»

Comments

• msrobots wrote: »
    Now I have to tease you @ersmith, but theoretically you could go the same way and compiling fastspin with fastspin to get a P2 binary, right?
    fastspin was not designed to run on an MCU, and it won't fit in the P2's memory. If you used an external memory then theoretically it might be possible to get it working on P2. It's not a priority for me right now :).
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    cgracey wrote: »
    We will have 2,400 production chips in late August. Hopefully, there won't be any problems with them.

What is the plan for selling these 2400 chips? Only on evaluation board like before?
    Or, raw chips? Still one per person?

I might think about designing a board if I knew I could either get more than one or a plain chip...

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    Rayman wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    We will have 2,400 production chips in late August. Hopefully, there won't be any problems with them.

What is the plan for selling these 2400 chips? Only on evaluation board like before?
    Or, raw chips? Still one per person?

I might think about designing a board if I knew I could either get more than one or a plain chip...

I don't think we'd have any problems supplying dozens of chips to any customer.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    Great news! Now I can dream about what I want on my P2 board....
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    Is there a P2 demo board planned? The first one was such a success, and having a P2 with self hosting dev environment would rock. It would be like the 1980's all over again, but faster, smaller, lighter, and binary code compatibility for everyone with a demo board.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    hinv wrote: »
    Is there a P2 demo board planned? The first one was such a success, and having a P2 with self hosting dev environment would rock. It would be like the 1980's all over again, but faster, smaller, lighter, and binary code compatibility for everyone with a demo board.

There is P2-EV (rev2) and P2D2 (rev2) in active design iteration, and I have a fork of P2D2 PCB, called P2D2Pi - that has Pi-pinout-compatible 40 pin headers, & better thermally, but that is waiting on confirm P2D2r2 works...
    Rayman looks to have one coming too...
  • frederickthe3rdfrederickthe3rd Posts: 11
    edited 2019-05-19 05:21
    There is P2-EV (rev2) and P2D2 (rev2) in active design iteration, and I have a fork of P2D2 PCB, called P2D2Pi - that has Pi-pinout-compatible 40 pin headers, & better thermally, but that is waiting on confirm P2D2r2 works...

As an interested bystander, is there anything similar to a P2 equivalent of the Basic Stamp on the horizon in terms of an integrated module with planned long-term availability?

The P2D2 seems to be the nearest candidate on the technical criteria (and also just looks like a really fun piece of hardware to have and play around with) but I do get worried about sourcing a module with the same pinout in five or ten years. I remember reading electronics magazines with my father when I was in junior high school that contained ads for this amazing new product called the Basic Stamp, and last year I walked into a Fry's Electronics with my wife and saw them on the shelf for sale; that's really kind of amazing for the electronics industry outside of a few ICs/packages that will probably never die.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140

As an interested bystander, is there anything similar to a P2 equivalent of the Basic Stamp on the horizon in terms of an integrated module with planned long-term availability?

The P2D2 seems to be the nearest candidate on the technical criteria (and also just looks like a really fun piece of hardware to have and play around with) but I do get worried about sourcing a module with the same pinout in five or ten years. I remember reading electronics magazines with my father when I was in junior high school that contained ads for this amazing new product called the Basic Stamp, and last year I walked into a Fry's Electronics with my wife and saw them on the shelf for sale; that's really kind of amazing for the electronics industry outside of a few ICs/packages that will probably never die.

That sort of longevity would need Parallax to offer a module. Right now, they have P2-EV, which is not small, but is flexible.
    They might commercialize P2D2r2, or the P2D2Pi alternate, but which pin-out should they choose ? For longevity, my thinking would be the P2D2Pi.
    Peter has put a USB MCU on P2D2r2, which makes it quite nicely self-contained.

• cgracey wrote: »

Not only self-hosting, but storing the source code, as well. You could hook into it twenty years from now and make source-level adjustments without needing any development tools on a host system. This would be important for machinery.

YES!!!!!

Summer 2015, I was sitting at a beach bar in Venice Italy, it was a Sunday.
    I got a beep from my Zello app (amazing app that emulates a 2-way radio).
    It was my client in NC, they build the yellow school buses.
    Their machine needed a code change which I easily handled using TeamViewer on my Samsung S5. They were amazed and delighted that this was even possible. The most difficult aspect for me was keeping an eye on the topless volleyball while changing the code

:lol: