Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Self-Driving Cars, Beat This! — Parallax Forums

Self-Driving Cars, Beat This!

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
Best stunt driving show I've ever seen. Amazing coordination between multiple cars & drivers. How dey do dat? Long but worth watching. Jump to one minute, then 18, then 23 if you must.

A good challenge for Elon, Google cars and Boston Dynamics to beat that!

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    erco wrote: »
    ...How dey do dat?

Lots and lots of practice and quite a bit of bent sheet metal.
  • My vex bot does similar stuff, can’t get an autonomous code going, though, to I haven’t tried your figure eight. There are maybe two days in a week that I don’t wish our school had activity bots or BOEBots, vex is just worth the motors and frame. 😝
  • kwinn wrote: »
    ...How dey do dat?

And a script. A set of robots following a coordinated script wouldn't need half the sensors that self-driving cars need to cope on the roads with the ~90% of human drivers that couldn't pull this off. Robots might even be able to do it open loop with a suitably well-crafted script.
  • How about self driving cars AND semi-autonomous robots???

https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/humanoids/ford-self-driving-vans-will-use-legged-robots-to-make-deliveries

Why do I keep thinking of the bad parts of "I, Robot" when I watch this though? LOL
  • How about self driving cars AND semi-autonomous robots???

https://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/humanoids/ford-self-driving-vans-will-use-legged-robots-to-make-deliveries

Why do I keep thinking of the bad parts of "I, Robot" when I watch this though? LOL

The fear of our autonomous creations turning on us goes at least as far back as Frankenstein, and probably further if you look hard enough.
  • Hmmmm.
    Take a look at "The Rest of the Robots", in it Asimov cites Mary Shelley's story, and in the forward. He further explains that one story is the root of all western phobias against robots. The first time I read his collection I wondered why he left out the Jewish folk story about the Golem. It predates Mary's story by about two to three hundred years, and also takes place in the same region.

However his robots use a special sort of electronic brain and are so programmed against such things.

• MIchael_MichalskiMIchael_Michalski Posts: 138
    edited 2019-05-29 21:27
    AJL wrote: »
    kwinn wrote: »
    ...How dey do dat?

And a script. A set of robots following a coordinated script wouldn't need half the sensors that self-driving cars need to cope on the roads with the ~90% of human drivers that couldn't pull this off. Robots might even be able to do it open loop with a suitably well-crafted script.

yea, that sort of course is actually very concretely defined. So long as everything ELSE is where it supposed to be, a self driving vehicle just has to make sure that IT is where IT should be. Of course, if something goes wrong, and something is NOT where it should be, or a vehicle is programmed to think something is in the wrong place, then all hell breaks loose.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Come to remember, my RoboCar from SERVO magazine was pretty good at drifting through figure 8s.