Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with Brian Riley's SD Loader Project! — Parallax Forums

Help with Brian Riley's SD Loader Project!

AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
edited 2019-04-27 14:42 in Propeller 1
I went a-lookin' through the OBEX for an SD driver, intending to make a .spin file to copy code from an SD card to the upper EEPROM and then boot it.

@"Brian Riley" already did so! I went to PM him with questions about the loader, and noticed that he has not been here for three years. Can anyone else help answer my questions?

1. Can I use an 8Gb FujiFilm card(full-size, FAT32)?
2. Which pins is this set up to run on?
3. Can I modify the program to initialize external peripherials?
4. Can I run this at _xinfreq 6250000(100MHz)

Comments

• copy code from an SD card to the upper EEPROM and then boot it.
    You know you don't need to write it to EEPROM before booting it?

In particular, KyeFAT (IIRC the only Spin driver that supports FAT32/SDHC (and thus cards larger than 2GB)) has a bootPartition method that you can just pass the filename you want to boot.

If actually want to copy the file to EEPROM first (so you can remove that card and still have it in there), copying the file to EEPROm requires no "special" code.

• So, I can load the installer into RAM via proptool, then boot two programs into EEPROM, the bottom one able to call the top one?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    My OS can copy to/from a file to/from lower/upper eeprom
  • Prop OS? I have been toying with porting it to the Modular Computer once it is in hardware.
    Having an OS available for it that will do this file transfer business is good, and I think this will be one of the options.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Asked by PM...
    Will my OS run at 100MHz?
    Yes, it has been tested at 80, 96, and 104MHz so it will work at100MHz too.
    The OS itself is frequency agnostic once the boot is loaded. Only the module _OS.cmd heeds to be recompiled. All other compiled *.cmd files utilise the original clock setting, and other parameters which stay resident.
    Full info is available in the Propeller OS thread.
  • Thanks!