Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Post spin2gui problems here — Parallax Forums

Post spin2gui problems here

Here's a thread for talking about problems using spin2gui.

Comments

• @pilot0315 , you posted a screenshot in the PropGCC thread. If you look at the error message, it's saying that on line 32 there's an attempt to access ".str" from something that isn't an object. On line 32 there's a reference to "ser.str". Sure enough, you have the line defining "ser" commented out in the OBJ section. If you still want to use the serial object "ser" then you have to define it.
  • I am trying to launch the serial program into another cog. Spin2gui won't let me do it.
  • Please post the full code in code blocks.
  • pilot0315 wrote: »
    I am trying to launch the serial program into another cog. Spin2gui won't let me do it.

Did you read my second message in the thread? The screenshot you posted in the p2gcc thread showed that you had commented out the definition of the "ser" object. That was a mistake, because you were still trying to use it.

If you have some other problem, please describe it fully. "Spin2gui won't let me do it" isn't enough to go on, I'm afraid. I have definitely run plenty of programs in multiple cogs, and so have other people, so it is possible to achieve.
  • I will post the full code tonight with a screenshot of the error.Thanks to all
  • @pilot0315,

I use spin2gui for development of that driver (just broke it again last night) and my test files are included in where you got the driver itself.

The testrunner uses multiple copies of the driver, but since you just need two ports you do not need two copies of cogserial, one copy can run both ports independent from each other.

all commands provide a optional 'port' parameter, which can be 0 for port 0 and 1 for port 1. Use start2 to start 2 ports.

Enjoy

Mike
  • @msrobots

PUB start(rxpin, txpin, mode, baudrate)
    return startExt(rxpin, txpin, baudrate, baudrate, _rxmode, _txmode)

PUB startExt(rxpin, txpin, rxbaudrate, txbaudrate, rxmode, txmode)
    stop

This all I see. I have looked at all of the code and do not see "start2"

Martin
  • @msrobots

Is there a newer version??

the one I have says this at the top:
    buffered smart pin serial object for P2 Eval board, buffering rx/tx in the Cog

I will look at github
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2019-02-19 05:07
    no look here

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1465088/#Comment_1465088

you will need cogserial.spin2 and cogserialpasm.spin2

Enjoy!

Mike
  • This might be a typo in the source code (look at the orange arrows):

fastspin%20typo.png
    691 x 836 - 78K
  • Yes, that is a typo. Thanks for catching it, @whicker !
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    ersmith: There appears to be an issue with Fastspin and garryj's USB code...

High speed USB works with both Fastspin and Pnut.
    But, low speed only works with PNut.
    This is PNutv_32j.
  • Rayman wrote: »
    ersmith: There appears to be an issue with Fastspin and garryj's USB code...

High speed USB works with both Fastspin and Pnut.
    But, low speed only works with PNut.
    This is PNutv_32j.

Could you be more specific than "only works with", please? :) If you mean "it does not compile", then that's probably the issue with missing if_01, if_10, etc., which was reported elsewhere and is fixed in github. If you mean "compiles but does not work" then that's a head scratcher, because when I tried it PNut and fastspin produced the same binary. But that is the most recent fastspin, which hasn't made it into a release yet.
    It compiles and runs.
    Even works like it should for with high-speed mouse.
    Doesn't work with low-speed mouse or keyboard...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    It compiles and runs.
    Even works like it should for with high-speed mouse.
    Doesn't work with low-speed mouse or keyboard...

Have you had a chance to compare the binaries and/or listing files that PNut and fastspin create? I only have PNut_v32i, not j, but I thought the only difference was an increase to the symbol table size, and when I tried compiling USBBootMouseKbdLite.spin2 I got the same results for PNut and fastspin.

I've attached my latest fastspin.zip, which is a pre-release -- it should be fine for PASM and Spin, but I've modified some of the internal code for C and BASIC so those need a bit more testing before I release it.
    Yep, looks like that works.
  • @msrobots
    @ersmith
    For msrobots I will look at the link.
    for ersmith, I understand that fastspin is part of spin2gui???
    How do I link your new fastspin code to the existing code??

Thanks to all.

Martin
  • @pilot0315 : The fastspin compiler is used by spin2gui. It's located in the file bin\fastspin.exe in both the fastspin.zip I posted and in the spin2gui release. To use the new fastspin compiler you would unzip the fastspin.zip then copy fastspin.exe from the new bin folder to the original spin2gui bin folder.

It's not a high priority though -- I posted the beta fastspin.zip for Rayman to try to make sure that it did fix his USB compilation problem (the specific issue was that the IF_1X and IF_X1 condition codes were mixed up). There will be an official release of both spin2gui and fastspin in the next few days.
  • Got it thanks.
    Martin
  • @ersmith
    I was successful with the upgrade of fast spin. Thank you.
    Someone told me that I could change the baud rate for spin2gui by going to the configure commands window. I do not see anything regarding the serial terminal and baud rate.
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks
  • In the run command line 'cmd.exe /c start "Propeller Output" "%D/bin/loadp2" %P -l115200 -b115200 "%B" -t -k' there is -I and -b. Not sure why there are two options, but they are for baudrate setting.
  • I will look at that thanks
    Martin
  • Thanks I found it. Looked at 1.3.2 and it has only one option but I will test tonight on 1.3.8

• I have attempted to run several of the routines in the doc's and I get errors. either spijn or c

what is going on??
  • I have changed the baud rate but still get gibberisn
  • I have also attempted to run with the FDSC in the spin2gui and get a bunch of errors. Either in spin or C
    basic examples please
  • pilot0315 wrote: »
    I have attempted to run several of the routines in the doc's and I get errors. either spijn or c

what is going on??

You're going to have to give us more details here. What routines were you trying to run? What errors did you get? Start with one example and show us what went wrong, and we can go from there.

Are you able to run the example programs that come with spin2gui, in the samples/ folder?
  • I attempted some from the docs. I think I forgot to save them properly. I will get back after I redo it. Thanks for the chat.
    Martin
  • Dumb question on my part and may not be in right place to post so please forgive me. Been trying to run Spin2gui with only problems. Can download and unzip the files on Win 10 home but there doesnot sean to be a .exr file in the folder. Have used both windows unzip and 7 zip with same results no ,exr files. Even tried to build with msys but no success.

What am I missing? Been away for years and would like to play with Prop 2 when avail for people like me.

Thanks in advance!
    Ken
    Maybe you download the source code by mistake?
    Here's the latest:
    https://github.com/totalspectrum/spin2gui/releases/download/v1.3.9/spin2gui.zip