Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Tricks, Traps & Differences between P1 (general discussion) - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

P2 Tricks, Traps & Differences between P1 (general discussion)

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2018-10-13 16:20
    Another way to empty the cordic:
    waitx #60

edited 2018-10-13 07:13
    cgracey wrote: »
    So, do you think it would be better to trap overrun, too?

Took some time to get focused but no, the two types can't be combined. An overwrite could happen during the empty test. In particular, following the POLLQMT. That's not compatible.

It would need its own event.
    Cluso,
    You might want to make a change to recent posted code - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1461959/#Comment_1461959

I'm pretty certain that GETNIB ,,#7 is the most significant nibble of a longword.

PS: Here's what I'm using for my debug hexadecimal ascii emits. It has a tidy compare and add:
    itohl
    		rev     pa                    'least significant first
    itoh
    		mov     bcdi, #7              'most significant nibble first (zero extended)
    .emit
    		altgn   bcdi, #pa             '(instruction prefix)
    		getnib  char                  'retrieve next hex digit from pa register:  char = pa[bcdi]
    		cmp     char, #10       wcz   'test if below 10, C = borrow of (D - S)
    if_c		add     char, #"0"            'ASCII encode 0-9
    if_nc		add     char, #"a"-10         'ASCII encode a-f
    		call    #putch
    		djnf    bcdi, #.emit
    		ret                     wcz   'restore C/Z flags of calling routine

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2019-02-22 05:12
    evanh wrote: »
    PS: Here's what I'm using for my debug hexadecimal ascii emits. It has a tidy compare and add:
    itohl
    		rev     pa                    'least significant first
    itoh
    		mov     bcdi, #7              'most significant nibble first (zero extended)
    .emit
    		altgn   bcdi, #pa             '(instruction prefix)
    		getnib  char                  'retrieve next hex digit from pa register:  char = pa[bcdi]
    		cmp     char, #10       wcz   'test if below 10, C = borrow of (D - S)
    if_c		add     char, #"0"            'ASCII encode 0-9
    if_nc		add     char, #"a"-10         'ASCII encode a-f
    		call    #putch
    		djnf    bcdi, #.emit
    		ret                     wcz   'restore C/Z flags of calling routine

I think the rev is wrong as you are reversing the bits, not bytes. Try a MOVBYTS instruction. I need the check my ROM code.

Your conversion to ASCII above uses 3 instructions here, same as mine. I suggest here you only need a CMP CHAR,#10 WC (rather than WCZ). Saves using the Z flag.

As for your prior post, I think you're right. Should be GETNIB X,Y,#0

Always good to have someone keep me on my toes ;)
  • TonyB_TonyB_ Posts: 2,105
    edited 2019-01-19 12:18
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Code to convert a nibble to an ASCII character "0".."9" "A".."F" using just the C flag...
    ' convert nibble to ASCII hex char
                    getnib  x,value,#7              '\ either instruction extracts only the lower nibble
                    and     x,#$0F                  '/

or      x,#"0"
                    cmp     x,#";"            wc    ' : -> A etc
            if_nc   add     x,#7                    

";" typo as well as GETNIB to correct:
    ' convert nibble to ASCII hex char
                    getnib  x,value,#0              '\ either instruction extracts only the lower nibble
                    and     x,#$0F                  '/

or      x,#"0"
                    cmp     x,#":"            wc    ' : -> A etc
            if_nc   add     x,#7                    

• To endian swap nibbles you could use
    		rep	#2,#8
    		rolnib	pa,pb,#0
    		ror	pb,#4
    		mov	pb,pa

REV was correct for the purpose - which was to represent the sigma-delta bitstream in received bit order. Not the digit significance within an integer.

Although, I suspect this could be a valid way of displaying little endian too. We have a bad habit of calling something's LE when they're just a mishmash. LE hurts to think about sometimes.

Your conversion to ASCII above uses 3 instructions here, same as mine. I suggest here you only need a CMP CHAR,#10 WC (rather than WCZ). Saves using the Z flag.

I always restore the flags. Gives more options further up.

• TonyB_TonyB_ Posts: 2,105
    edited 2019-01-19 13:40
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    To endian swap nibbles you could use
    		rep	#2,#8
    		rolnib	pa,pb,#0
    		ror	pb,#4
    		mov	pb,pa

'x = $abcdefgh
    		movbyts	x,#%%0123	'x = $ghefcdab
    		mov	y,x		'y = $ghefcdab
    		rol	x,#4		'x = $hefcdabg
    		ror	y,#4		'y = $bghefcda
    		setq	##$0f0f0f0f
    		muxq	x,y		'x = $hgfedcba

'or
    					'x = $abcdefgh
    		movbyts	x,#%%0123	'x = $ghefcdab
    		mov	y,x		'y = $ghefcdab
    		rol	x,#4		'x = $hefcdabg
    		ror	y,#4		'y = $bghefcda
    		setq	muxy
    		muxq	x,y		'x = $hgfedcba

muxy		long	$0f0f0f0f

edited 2019-02-01 21:47
    MODCZ Instruction

I just realised the implications of having 4 bits each for setting/clearing the C and Z flags.

While it's been documented for quite a long time, I missed it. It's in the document that starts with Instruction Timing, and near the end of the doc... (not sure when/where I found the doc)

The gem is the 4 bits each for setting/clearing the C and/or Z flag(s) is the same as the conditional execution bits EEEE found in each instruction.

Further down in that document are some instruction aliases...
    MODCZ  0,_SET  WZ
    MODCZ  _CLR,0  WC
    MODCZ  _SET,_CLR  WCZ
    MODCZ  _CLR,_SET  WCZ
    etc

Might these be better aliases for simple setting/clearing the C and/or Z flag(s)? (Just a compiler addition)
    CLR    {WC/WZ/WCZ}
    SET    {WC/WZ/WCZ}

CLRSET  WCZ
    SETCLR  WCZ

Good idea. Having some aliases will help cement understanding of MODCZ too. An excellent example of this occurs in the google doc with the simplified list of basic inc/dec of PTRA/B.
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    MODCZ Instruction

I just realised the implications of having 4 bits each for setting/clearing the C and Z flags.

While it's been documented for quite a long time, I missed it. It's in the document that starts with Instruction Timing, and near the end of the doc... (not sure when/where I found the doc)

The gem is the 4 bits each for setting/clearing the C and/or Z flag(s) is the same as the conditional execution bits EEEE found in each instruction.

Further down in that document are some instruction aliases...
    MODCZ  0,_SET  WZ
    MODCZ  _CLR,0  WC
    MODCZ  _SET,_CLR  WCZ
    MODCZ  _CLR,_SET  WCZ
    etc

Might these be better aliases for simple setting/clearing the C and/or Z flag(s)? (Just a compiler addition)
    CLR    {WC/WZ/WCZ}
    SET    {WC/WZ/WCZ}

CLRSET  WCZ
    SETCLR  WCZ

There are separate aliases already for MODC c and MODZ z.

CLRSET and SETCLR are rather like DOWNUP and UPDOWN, i.e. most confusing!
    edited 2019-02-22 06:27
    This was posted on the Tricks & Traps Reference thread
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    TIMEOUT

Using the counter for timeouts

Here is how to setup your own timeout
                    getct   timeout                         '\ set timeout value
                    add     timeout,          ##delay1s     '/

and code to test if the timeout has been exceeded
                    getct   timenow                         '\ timeout ?
                    cmpm    timeout,          timenow   wc  '| c if timenow > timeout
            if_c    jmp     #timed_out                      '/ y: timed out          

Note the use of the CMPM D,#/S {wc/wz/wcz} instruction!!!
    C = MSB of the result of D-S

or
    	pollct1	wc
     if_c	jmp	#timed_out

However, that is not the whole story for using POLLCTn. Rather than polute that thread, perhaps you can edit your post. Thanks Brian :smile:
    Postedit: I meant me poluting the thread with discussion :(

Example shown for using CT1 (CT1, 2 &3 are available)
                    getct   timeout                         '\ set timeout value
                    addct1  timeout,          ##delay1s     '/ set CT1 event to trigger when CT=timeout+delay1s

and code to test if the timeout has been exceeded
    	pollct1	wc
     if_c	jmp	#timed_out

• Cluso99 wrote: »
    Rather than polute that thread, perhaps you can edit your post.
    Never had one of my posts refered to as "pollution" before.
    Not sure why my post doesn't qualify as reference, but does as general discussion?
    Why do I even bother!

edited 2019-02-22 06:38
    Sorry Brian :(

I didn't mean it that way :( Really bad choice of words on my part :(

I didn't want to clutter that thread with general discussion (by me asking/correcting) and as I cannot edit your post, I thought I would ask if you would mind doing that. It was just missing the bit setting up the ct1 which may have caused confusion.

BTW It absolutely qualifies as a reference!

Indeed, I had forgotten about using the pollctx.
  • Sorry Ray, I'm tightly wound today and need to slow down.
    I'll edit it all later tonight.
    No worries.

Thanks Brian. All good :smiley:
    SETQ

I have found that the SETQ value remains persistent for multiple MUXQ instructions.
    Here is an example...
                    setq    ##$0000FFFF
                    muxq    x,y               ' x -> 1122CCDD
                    muxq    a,b               ' a -> 556600FF
                    or      v,w
                    muxq    y,b               ' y -> AABB00FF
                    muxq    b,x               ' b -> 99EECCDD

x               long    $11223344         
    y               long    $AABBCCDD
    a               long    $55667788
    b               long    $99EE00FF

Chip,
    Is this a legitimate use of SETQ and MUXQ ?
    Hey, I didn't know MUXQ existed. I've wanted to do that operation too.

No, it won't work like that Cluso. Easy enough to test ...
    I just love conditional execution! There's nothing more messy looking than assembly version of "if then else" without it.

Oh, I'm wrong. Yes, you can issue as many additional MUXQ's as you like. And can be interspersed with other instructions as well.

That's quite revealing. SETQ, the instruction, must be doing two things. One is moving the specified data to special Q register. The other is arming a special flag for telling certain other instructions they can use the value in Q.

MUXQ is different to the rest of those Q using instructions because it ignores that flag and always uses the value in Q irrespective of if a SETQ has been executed or not.

Q is maintained indefinitely.

I did test it. These are the results. It is persistent for the MUXQ instructions :)
    ALTx instructions don't affect Q. I thought that maybe they could.
    FYI this is my generalised test program. It saves coding by using the ROM Monitor functions for displaying registers, etc.
    '' +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    '' | Cluso's P2 Test Program              (c)2013-2019 "Cluso99" (Ray Rodrick)|
    '' RR20190201            generalised test program

CON
    '+-------[ Select for P2-EVAL ]------------------------------------------------+  
      _XTALFREQ     = 20_000_000                                    ' crystal frequency
      _XDIV         = 2             '\                              '\ crystal divider                      to give 10.0MHz
      _XMUL         = 15            '| 150 MHz                      '| crystal / div * mul                  to give 150MHz
      _XDIVP        = 1             '/                              '/ crystal / div * mul /divp            to give 150MHz
      _XOSC         = %10                                   '15pF   ' %00=OFF, %01=OSC, %10=15pF, %11=30pF
    '+-------[ Select for P2D2 ]---------------------------------------------------+ 
    {
      _XTALFREQ     = 12_000_000                                    ' crystal frequency
      _XDIV         = 4             '\                              '\ crystal divider                      to give   3.0MHz
      _XMUL         = 99            '| 148.5MHz                     '| crystal / div * mul                  to give 297.0MHz
      _XDIVP        = 2             '/                              '/ crystal / div * mul /divp            to give 148.5MHz
      _XOSC         = %01                                   'OSC    ' %00=OFF, %01=OSC, %10=15pF, %11=30pF
    }
    '+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
      _XSEL         = %11                                   'XI+PLL ' %00=rcfast(20+MHz), %01=rcslow(~20KHz), %10=XI(5ms), %11=XI+PLL(10ms)
      _XPPPP        = ((_XDIVP>>1) + 15) & $F                       ' 1->15, 2->0, 4->1, 6->2...30->14
      _CLOCKFREQ    = _XTALFREQ / _XDIV * _XMUL / _XDIVP            ' internal clock frequency                
      _SETFREQ      = 1<<24 + (_XDIV-1)<<18 + (_XMUL-1)<<8 + _XPPPP<<4 + _XOSC<<2  ' %0000_000e_dddddd_mmmmmmmmmm_pppp_cc_00  ' setup  oscillator
      _ENAFREQ      = _SETFREQ + _XSEL                                             ' %0000_000e_dddddd_mmmmmmmmmm_pppp_cc_ss  ' enable oscillator

_1us          = _clockfreq/1_000_000                          ' 1us

'------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      _baud         = 115_200
      _bitper       = (_clockfreq / _baud) << 16 + 7          ' 115200 baud, 8 bits
      _txmode       = %0000_0000_000_0000000000000_01_11110_0 'async tx mode, output enabled for smart output
      _rxmode       = %0000_0000_000_0000000000000_00_11111_0 'async rx mode, input  enabled for smart input
    '------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      rx_pin        = 63            ' pin serial receiver
      tx_pin        = 62            ' pin serial transmitter
      spi_cs        = 61            ' pin SPI memory select          (also sd_ck)
      spi_ck        = 60            ' pin SPI memory clock           (also sd_cs)
      spi_di        = 59            ' pin SPI memory data in         (also sd_di)
      spi_do        = 58            ' pin SPI memory data out        (also sd_do)
    CON
    '' | Cluso's LMM_SerialDebugger for P2    (c)2013-2018 "Cluso99" (Ray Rodrick)|
    ''  xxxxxx : xx xx xx xx ... <cr>  DOWNLOAD:  to cog/lut/hub {addr1} following {byte(s)}
    ''  xxxxxx - [xxxxxx] [L] <cr>     LIST:      from cog/lut/hub {addr1} to < {addr2} L=longs
    ''  xxxxxx G <cr>                  GOTO:      to cog/lut/hub {addr1}
    ''  Q <cr>                         QUIT:      Quit Rom Monitor and return to the User Program
    ''  Lffffffff[.]xxx<cr>            LOAD:      Load file from SD
    ''  Rffffffff[.]xxx<cr>            RUN:       Load & Run file from SD
    ''  <esc><cr>                      TAQOZ:     goto TAQOZ
    ''   LMM DEBUGGER - CALL Modes...(not all modes supported)
      _MODE         = $F << 5                       ' mode bits defining the call b8..b5 (b4..b0 are modifier options)
      _SHIFT        = 5                             ' shr # to extract mode bits
      _HEX_         = 2 << 5                        ' hex...
        _REV_               = 1 << 4                '   - reverse byte order
        _SP                 = 1 << 3                '   - space between hex output pairs
       '_DIGITS             = 7..0 where 8->0       '   - no. of digits to display
      _LIST         = 3 << 5                        ' LIST memory line (1/4 longs) from cog/hub
        _ADDR2              = 1 << 4                ' 1= use lmm_p2 as to-address
        _LONG_              = 1 << 1                ' 1=display longs xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
      _TXSTRING     = 4 << 5                        ' tx string (nul terminated) from hub
      _RXSTRING     = 5 << 5                        ' rx string
        _ECHO_              = 1 << 4                '    - echo char
        _PROMPT             = 1 << 3                '    - prompt (lmm_x)
        _ADDR               = 1 << 2                '    - addr of string buffer supplied
        _NOLF               = 1 << 1                '    - strip <lf>
      _MONITOR      = 7 << 5                        ' goto rom monitor
    ''   P2 ROM SERIAL ROUTINES (HUBEXEC)
      _SerialInit      = $fcab8     ' Serial Initialise     (lmm_x & lmm_bufad must be set first)
      _HubTxCR         = $fcae4     ' Sends <cr><lf>        (overwrites lmm_x)
      _HubTxRev        = $fcaec     ' Sends lmm_x with bytes reversed
      _HubTx           = $fcaf0     ' Sends lmm_x           (can be up to 4 bytes)
      _HubHexRev       = $fcb24     ' Sends lmm_x with bytes reversed as Hex char(s) as defined in lmm_f
      _HubHex8         = $fcb28     ' Sends lmm_x as Hex char(s) after setting lmm_f as 8 hex chars
      _HubHex          = $fcb2c     ' Sends lmm_x as Hex char(s) as defined in lmm_f
      _HubTxStrVer     = $fcb9c     ' Sends $0 terminated string at lmm_p address after setting lmm_p=##_str_vers
      _HubTxString     = $fcba4     ' Sends $0 terminated string at lmm_p address
      _HubListA2H      = $fcbc4     ' List/Dump line(s) from lmm_p address to lmm_p2 address after setting lmm_f=#_LIST+_ADDR2 
      _HubList         = $fcbc8     ' List/Dump line(s) from lmm_p address to lmm_p2 address according to lmm_f
      _HubRx           = $fcb10     ' Recv char into lmm_x
      _HubRxStrMon     = $fccc4     ' Recv string into lmm_bufad address after setting prompt=lmm_x=#"*" & params=lmm_f=#_RXSTRING+_ECHO_+_PROMPT
      _HubRxString     = $fcccc     ' Recv string into lmm_p/lmm_bufad address according to params in lmm_f
      _HubMonitor      = $fcd78     ' Calls the Monitor; uses lmm_bufad as the input buffer address
      _RdLongCogHub    = $fcf34     ' read cog/lut/hub long from lmm_p address into lmm_x, then lmm_p++
      _str_vers        = $fd014     ' locn of hub string, $0 terminated
    '' HUB ADDRESSES
      _HUBROM       = $FC000        ' ROM $FC000
      _HUBBUF       = $FC000        ' overwrite Booter
      _HUBBUFSIZE   = 80            ' RxString default size for _HUBBUF

''============[ COG VARIABLES $1E0-$1EF - MONITOR]=============================
    ''-------[ LMM parameters, etc ]-----------------------------------------------
      lmm_x         = $1e0          ' parameter passed to/from LMM routine (typically a value)
      lmm_f         = $1e1          ' parameter passed to      LMM routine (function options; returns unchanged)
      lmm_p         = $1e2          ' parameter passed to/from LMM routine (typically a hub/cog ptr/addr)
      lmm_p2        = $1e3          ' parameter passed to/from LMM routine (typically a 2nd hub/cog address)
      lmm_c         = $1e4          ' parameter passed to/from LMM routine (typically a count)
    ''-------[ LMM additional workareas ]------------------------------------------
      lmm_w         = $1e5          ' workarea (never saved - short term use between calls, except _HubTx)
      lmm_tx        = $1e6          ' _HubTx
      lmm_hx        = $1e7          ' _HubHex/_HubString
      lmm_hx2       = $1e8          ' _HubHex
      lmm_hc        = $1e9          '   "
      lmm_lx        = $1ea          ' _HubList
      lmm_lf        = $1eb          '   "
      lmm_lp        = $1ec          '   "
      lmm_lp2       = $1ed          '   "
      lmm_lc        = $1ee          '   "
      lmm_bufad     = $1ef          ' _HubRxString
    '' ASCII equates
      _CLS_         = $0C     
      _BS_          = $08
      _LF_          = $0A
      _CR_          = $0D
      _TAQOZ_       = $1B           ' <esc>   goto TAQOZ

DAT             org     0
    '+-------[ Set Xtal ]----------------------------------------------------------+ 
    entry2          hubset  #0                              ' set 20MHz+ mode
                    hubset  ##_SETFREQ                      ' setup oscillator
                    waitx   ##20_000_000/100                ' ~10ms
                    hubset  ##_ENAFREQ                      ' enable oscillator
    '+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
                    waitx   ##_clockfreq*5                  ' just a delay to get pc terminal running
    '+-------[ Start Serial ]------------------------------------------------------+ 
                    mov     lmm_bufad,        ##_HUBBUF     ' locn of hub buffer for serial routine 
                    mov     lmm_x,            ##_bitper     ' sets serial baud
                    call    #_SerialInit                    ' initialise serial
    ''              mov     lmm_x,            #0            ' clear screen
    ''              call    #_hubTx
                    mov     lmm_f,            #_TXSTRING+0  ' send string, $00 terminated 
                    mov     lmm_p,            ##_hubstring  ' must be in hub!
                    call    #_HubTxString
    '+=============================================================================+
    '+ Test Section                                                                +
    '+=============================================================================+
    ' SETQ tests
                    setq    ##$0000FFFF
                    muxq    x,y               ' x -> 1122CCDD
                    muxq    a,b               ' a -> 556600FF

or      v,w

muxq    y,b               ' y -> AABB00FF
                    muxq    b,x               ' b -> 99EECCDD

mov     lmm_x,            x
                    call    #_hubHex8
                    mov     lmm_x,            #" "
                    call    #_hubTx
                    mov     lmm_x,            y
                    call    #_hubHex8
                    call    #_hubTxCR

mov     lmm_x,            a
                    call    #_hubHex8
                    mov     lmm_x,            #" "
                    call    #_hubTx
                    mov     lmm_x,            b
                    call    #_hubHex8
                    call    #_hubTxCR

jmp     #$                              ' loop here <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    x               long    $11223344         
    y               long    $AABBCCDD
    a               long    $55667788
    b               long    $99EE00FF
    v               long    $11111111
    w               long    $22222222
                    fit     $1E0                            ' check fits in cog  with lmm_x

''============[ HUB VARIABLES ]=================================================                                    
    DAT             orgh    $4000
    _hubstring      byte    "P2 Test Program v0006a",13,10,0

• Here's a coupe of code snippets that might be useful.
    The first one returns information of cog usage/count.
    'get active cog information

mov	pa,#7
    .loop	cogid	pa wc		'get cog status
    	rcl	active,#1	'rotate into mask
    	djnf	pa,#.loop
    	and	active,#$ff	'active cog mask
    	ones	inuse,active	'number of cogs in use

and the second shows an example of inverting the output state of the pins used on the P2-ES board for true led indication.
    'invert outputs on 56-63 for true led  operation

mov	pa,#56
    .loop		wrpin	##%1000000_00_00000_0,pa
    		incmod	pa,#63 wz
    	if_nz	jmp	#.loop
    '
    'BTW This will be done in one instruction in Rev B silicon with it's range option.
    '
    		wrpin	##%1000000_00_00000_0,#56 + 7 << 6  'Rev. B silicon only

That INCMOD with WZ is a handy idea. Another instruction I've not yet used.
  • What justification is there for excluding fastspin bugs from the reference Traps/Tips thread - the duplicate
    label issue I just reported wasted hours of my time and is definity a nasty trap for the prop1->prop2 newcomers
    till its fixed, at which point the posting can be edited to reflect that point?

The point of the thread is to alert people to issues that could bite them, whatever they are, surely?
  • Mark_T wrote: »
    What justification is there for excluding fastspin bugs from the reference Traps/Tips thread - the duplicate
    label issue I just reported wasted hours of my time and is definity a nasty trap for the prop1->prop2 newcomers
    till its fixed, at which point the posting can be edited to reflect that point?

The point of the thread is to alert people to issues that could bite them, whatever they are, surely?

Because it's a temporary problem, one that if reported gets rather rapidly fixed.
    You have to ask, how relevant is this information let's say a month, or a year from now?

Whereas a trick or trap is for example forgetting that blasted # before a label, something that won't change and something we always have to look out for.
  • When you spend an hour trying to understand bizarre program behaviour which is very heisenbuggy, the
    notion of temporary v. permanent trap is not so useful - the thread is surely a working document that
    will be subject to update?

In case anyone's missed it, the spin2ui 1.3.6 version at least fails to give any warning about duplicate
    labels leading to unpredictable behaviour if you accidentally create duplicates (copy and paste for example).