Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Increase Arlo Load — Parallax Forums

Increase Arlo Load

I'm about to start my first major robotics project, making an autonomous cart which will eventually be integrated with RFID passive tags in a factory setting. Since I'm new to robotics, I like the idea of primarily doing stuff that has done before to limit mistakes. My first main problem is the load requirement, 200lbs.

I was told that even if the cart can't quite reach that weight it's okay, but it'd be nice to be in the range. I really like the Arlo system but I see there's a weight cap at 60 lbs. Is it possible to add an extra caster or duplicate the driving wheels to increase the load capacity? Do you have any ideas of how to use Arlo (or another similar model) in a way that comes close to reaching my goal load?

Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    That's a HUGE first project. I'd recommend you start small. Scale down to verify function then go big only after you understand the basics. To carry 200 lbs, I'd recommend you source some wheelchair motors. You don't want to put that much weight on Arlo motors, which are actually worm drive electric window motors.

If you're operating on a smooth flat concrete floor (ie, factory) then your power requirements are low and you can use solid rubber tires.
  • Yes to wheelchair motors. Yes to at least thick (say, 3/4") plywood that doesn't share the "cold creep" properties of the HDPE used in an Arlo. Yes to solid or foam tires, though most wheelchair tires are pneumatic, for comfort and weight. Look for motors and wheels for a Hoveround-style mobility platform. Be prepared to spend money, as these same components are preferred by the combat robot guys.