Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Looking to create a timer with event and Lifetime Memory — Parallax Forums

Looking to create a timer with event and Lifetime Memory

Hello don't know if this is the best Forum for this. Looking for more Software support then Hardware. I have a carnival ride when I want a programmable timer input for N minutes. Then I want a event time stamp for that event. Then I want a lifetime memory (EEPROM?) for all events.
Any clues much appreciated.

Comments

• Parallax makes a real-time clock module (RTC) that can be used to provide time/date information. You could use either a Basic Stamp or Propeller for the microcontroller. "Clues" depend on the details of what you want to do. What do you mean by "programmable timer input"? What kind of event time stamp? What else do you want to include as part of the time stamp? How many time stamps do you need to keep? What do you mean by "lifetime memory"? How do you intend to use this recorded information? A Propeller can easily write files to an SD card for later processing on a PC. A Basic Stamp needs some additional hardware that's no longer in production (Parallax's Memory Stick Datalogger). If you're not going to use a PC, you'll need some kind of display and pushbuttons so you can examine the saved time stamps.
  • Hi Mike
    Thanks for responding.
    Well, we have a human gyroscope that is attendant operated with a hydraulic directional system. So I want a programmable timer so that I can program the event time for different Venues. 5 minutes sometimes and 3 minutes other times, etc. The timer will time out and sound a buzzer, the attendant will stop the ride and rest the timer. Then press start to go again when ready. I want a cumulative lifetime timer to see how many hours are being put on the ride. This would be handy for maintenance intervals and also see how much to bill total when we rent it out. The RTC is a good start and I see that there is downloadable code. I would have a LCD readout and maybe function switches reset, menu/+, select, enter, and start/stop to get readouts and set times.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    montech22 wrote: »
    Hi Mike
    .... I would have a LCD readout and maybe function switches reset, menu/+, select, enter, and start/stop to get readouts and set times.

Those items seem to be the main stumbling block. Can this main power via a plugpack/USB5V, or does this need to stand alone ?

I do see Parallax have this - a Hackable Electronic Badge, that has a display and buttons, and looks to manage battery charging.
    https://www.parallax.com/product/20100 $29.99
    https://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/20000-20100-Hackable-Electronic-Badge-Schematic-RevA.pdf

• Parallax's OLED module would work nicely if you're using a Propeller. The 4x4 keypad would also work nicely for input. The whole program could be developed using BlocklyProp (or C) using existing sample code. A Propeller Activity Board or Project Board USB would provide the rest (power, programming interface). The Activity Board or Hackable Electronic Badge would also provide audio output which, with an ordinary amplified speaker for a PC, could play back .WAV sound files. You could also use an old analog TV with video and audio inputs as a status display with sound feedback.
  • Thanks so much for the input Guys. Ill start putting this together this weekend and let you know how its coming! I will investigate the Propeller Mike, I do already have a BS2 though from my Boe Bot days in college a few years back so naturally wanted to check this too.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2018-04-25 19:35
    The BS2 has limited EEPROM storage compared to what's available on the Propeller. <ftdichip.com> used to make a module that would read and write to a flash drive using serial I/O commands that the BS2 could handle and Parallax sold a version of this called the "memory stick datalogger". FTDI's version may still be available. Parallax keeps their documentation on-line, but the module hasn't been available for a few years.
  • The newer version of the datalogger is the Vdrive3 by FTDI about $22 from mouser, digikey etc. I posted some revised BS2 code on the Datalogger for printer post.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    DigitalBob wrote: »
    The newer version of the datalogger is the Vdrive3 by FTDI about $22 from mouser, digikey etc. I posted some revised BS2 code on the Datalogger for printer post.

Interesting item - uses a VNC2 processor as the USB Host.
    That would give the convenience of a USB-drive, easy remote reading and shiploads of storage ...

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2018-04-26 18:37
    Another easy option for extended data memory with the BS2 is SPI eeprom, e.g., the CAT25256. The code on the BS2 is very easy for these and well documented. For example, you can still find the documentation for the "Data Collection Protoboard" on Scott's SEETRON site. 128 kbytes could last you quite a long time--I don't know about a lifetime though!

I2C eeprom is also an option, but it takes more code unless you have a BS2p series Stamp that has i2c commands. Indeed, the BS2pe includes a total of 64kbytes of eeprom, compared with 8 kbytes in the original BS2, so the '2pe is great for data logging using the built-in STORE, GET and PUT commands.
  • Tracy misspoke himself; of course he meant to say STORE, READ, and WRITE.
  • Thanks Tom, I misspeak easily!
  • Wow you guys are awesome. Looking this stuff up this weekend.