Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Create a needle graphic that follows wind direction - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Create a needle graphic that follows wind direction

2»

Comments

• Code was working with TV display then TV stopped. I tried several flasher programs and noticed two with same code (one worked the other not). The only difference was one had a CON block that set system clock at 80Mhz the other no CON block. Then I tried different clock settings and found that only when set to
    _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

did it not work. Internal oscillator and even other PLL settings did.
    I switched back and forth between 2 Quickstart boards to confirm. One will not work at 80Mhz but still works at others.

I was trying to power both the Quickstart board (through a voltage regulator) and a anemometer needing >12 volts (and outputting 0-5 volts) through a wall wart.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    AGCB wrote: »
    Code was working with TV display then TV stopped. I tried several flasher programs and noticed two with same code (one worked the other not). The only difference was one had a CON block that set system clock at 80Mhz the other no CON block. Then I tried different clock settings and found that only when set to
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

I switched back and forth between 2 Quickstart boards to confirm. One will not work at 80Mhz but still works at others.

I was trying to power both the Quickstart board (through a voltage regulator) and a anemometer needing >12 volts (and outputting 0-5 volts) through a wall wart.

Certainly sounds like the output for the 16x clock signal packed it in. Still usable for a lot of things, but I would not use it in a hard to access location or a customer's equipment.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    kwinn wrote: »
    Code was working with TV display then TV stopped. I tried several flasher programs and noticed two with same code (one worked the other not). The only difference was one had a CON block that set system clock at 80Mhz the other no CON block. Then I tried different clock settings and found that only when set to
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

Certainly sounds like the output for the 16x clock signal packed it in. Still usable for a lot of things, but I would not use it in a hard to access location or a customer's equipment.

Are you sure the xtal is 5MHz and not 10MHz which requires pllx8 ?
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    kwinn wrote: »
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

Are you sure the xtal is 5MHz and not 10MHz which requires pllx8 ?

The Xtal on the Quickstart is a SMD soldered 5 Megger. Not sure if he took the time to change it.

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    I think you need the PLL to get NTSC out. I don't think I've seen a prop fail in such a way that the PLL would work at 40 MHz but not 80 MHz.
    I suppose it's possible though.
    Sadly, I've seen a few where the PLL just didn't work at all after putting 5V on an I/O pin...
  • Yep, 5MHz and not worth changing. When the Radio Shack's were closing out I bought about a dozen Quickstart boards for under $10 each. Have given some away to students but still have 5 or 6. Some dedicated to projects and