Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Gemfan Escape programming — Parallax Forums

Gemfan Escape programming

Has anyone used a programmer to program Gemfan 30A escapes from Parallax?

There used to be a card that came with the ELEV-8 V2 kit - but I don't see it in the store.

Is there a standard USB linker that works with these escapes?

Any hints will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Ah. Not Escape but ESC.
    This one:
    https://www.parallax.com/product/750-90000
  • Duh...esc is stuck in my mind as 'escape' -- yep, 'E'lectronic 'S'peed 'C'ontroller...

I was hoping to find specifics about a card or USB linker that would talk to these Gemfan ESCs -- I checked the Gemfan website - no joy.

Only reference I've found is that Parallax once sold a card that could program them.
  • Yes. Are you using these on a multi-rotor? If so, you really want to flash them with the latest .TGY firmware from SimonK dated September 2015. The difference is night in day in performance. To save you the time, I finally found out they will not work with Blheli firmware because they have an internal instead of external oscillator.

The easiest way to do it is to get an Atmel chip socket flasher and use it with a USBASP. I just did this a few weeks ago. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought Blheli_S or Blheli_32 ESCs to start with, but all things in life are a learning curve and I didn't know what I was dealing with, just getting started in the hobby.

How many of these ESCs do you have? How many do you need flashed? Maybe I can help out.
  • I honestly don't think any kind of self-programming route on an old Atmel ESC is worth anyone's time at this point. This is seven+ yr old technology, and everything they could squeeze out of it had been by almost three years ago. After everything I've dredged up the last month here, I can honestly say there is nothing Macirish could put on those HW30 ESCs that would beat the last revision of SimonK .TGY firmware. It actually makes those old yellow ESCs usable.

But, if I was going to do it over again, I wouldn't have spent the money on the USBASP, Atmel chip socket flashing tool and the yellow ESCs to begin with. Oh well, live and learn. They do work now, that's a plus. :lol:
    Maybe I should send Parallax the tools, they can flash SimonK on their pile of HW30 ESCs and at least get them sold to clear out the old inventory! :cool:
  • DrPop - I'm in pretty much the same position. Just plug 'n play with the escapes on a ELEV-8 V3 (they worked well). No real experience with ESCs and how they interface with the motors. I've changed the FC in the ELEV-8 to a PixHawk 2.1 - added GPS and Telemetry - hooks right up to Mission Planner.

Thanks for the offer of help - I'm not building a multi-rotor - I'm trying to learn about ESCs and motors.

I've got a 3DR Solo - motors are noisy. I'm trying to build a motor testbed and see if I can improve them. I'm using an external PWM source.

My first attempt has failed - the motor didn't move. PWM signal is solid - in spec.

I had the old HW30 escapes (couldn't resist a bargain?) - wired it up with a Spectrum receiver - trying to start with a working system. Needless to say - it didn't work - these ESCs hadn't been programmed (wishful thinking).

I tried the BLhelisuite program along with a USB adapter - but it wouldn't talk to the ESC.

Yep - learning curve for sure. I did find the TURNIGY BESC PROGRAMMING CARD (what Parallax used to sell) at Hobbyking for $ 6.28 - (and an $11 ESC).

I'd like to put that firmware on these escapes -- does it take that programmer to do it?
  • DrPopDrPop Posts: 227
    edited 2018-03-28 07:00
    I hear you! We have an Elev-8 V3 and a V2 with a Pixhawk and a Pix mini on them now, and they do hover nicely, even in the wind. Using the 20A Blheli ESCs on the V3 that came with it, and some new Blheli_32 ESCs for my buddy on that V2 hooked up to the Pixhawk in Oneshot125 mode.

I'm using these old HW30A ESCs on a "V2.5" build I'm getting running with the Parallax Elev-8 Flight Controller and a mix of V3 & V2 parts. They do actually work alright now, but only after flashing SimonK firmware on them. The Atmel socket tool is like $29, and the USBASP is another $9 or whatever, plus purchasing the ESCs...so really, it's not much of a deal unless you're going to flash a ton of them.
    Edit: I'll just PM you to see if I can help w/ the socket tool or ESCs, or anything, that'll be easier. :thumb:
  • Publison wrote: »

Thanks for that link - I'd passed over it last year and forgotten about it. This material can probably round out my education about ESC programming. I can really use it.