Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using an OLED — Parallax Forums

Using an OLED

Hello!
I have a pair of generic OLED displays here. Both were bought from Tinkersphere here in NYC and seem to have an almost normal interface. That is both resemble this fellow https://parallax.com/product/28087

I say "resemble" because obviously their OLED boards aren't same as the one shown there. However I believe the driver chip is the same one as described with one from our hosts.

Interestingly enough the firm is aware of Parallax, but they seem to be primarily an Arduino and Raspberry Pi shop.
For example tinkersphere.com/oled-displays/805-white-oled-module.html and that is one of them.

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2018-02-27 01:06
    They don't seem to provide any information at all about their product, only that it uses I2C. However it seems other sites do provide information, it uses an SSD1306, so you might need to write your own code.
  • They don't seem to provide any information at all about their product, only that it uses I2C. However it seems other sites do provide information, it uses an SSD1306, so you might need to write your own code.

Hello!
    Peter J, I've got news. The OLED display from Tinkersphere, that is the one being discussed above does work with a Pi Zero I have here. I had it displaying the classic time of day readout based on a bundle of Python code that I'd scrounged off the Net.

It being an SSD1306 based display made me think, why doesn't a driver exist in the Spin and PASM communities?
  • The Python code is using its library to draw in a memory buffer and then the driver writes that to the display. The actual driver itself is quite simple as the display basically just needs the right commands and setup parameters etc. Converting this to Spin looks easy enough. The other part you need is the graphics library and you can adapt those that have been written for other graphics display, I know I did this many years using the VGA Spin graphics library on a 128x64 LCD but I will have to try to find it.
  • I was working with an ssd1306 display some time ago. I don't recall getting the attached to work perfectly for the display I have, but I attached the code nonetheless. Perhaps you will have better luck.
  • rogersyd wrote: »
    I was working with an ssd1306 display some time ago. I don't recall getting the attached to work perfectly for the display I have, but I attached the code nonetheless. Perhaps you will have better luck.

Hello!
    Thank you Roger. This is indeed a good start. Or rather, what you've provided is indeed a good start.