Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is the Propeller 2 out? — Parallax Forums

Is the Propeller 2 out?

Hey guys,
So I'm very new to the propeller microcontroller
and a few days ago stumbled upon articles about the Propeller 2. Many of them old, like from 2014.
However, I couldn't find any images of it yet. I did find a lot of FPGA pictures though.
Is the Prop2 out yet? Is it the form of a chip, or do I have to downloag HDL/Verilog code to an FPGA?

Thanks!

Comments

• An FPGA image is out. It's posted at the top of this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/162298/prop2-fpga-files-updated-1-january-2018-version-31/p1

I have no idea why there isn't a direct link to this in a sticky.
  • But is there an actual chip? Or is the FPGA image all there is?
  • No chip yet. Maybe later this year.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    If things go according to schedule, we will have prototypes in July, production a few months later.
  • picopico Posts: 29
    edited 2018-01-17 21:24
    Oh my gosh! Hey Chip!
    pico wrote: »
    Oh my gosh! Hey Chip!

Hi, Pico! Who are you?
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    David Betz wrote: »
    An FPGA image is out. It's posted at the top of this thread:

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/162298/prop2-fpga-files-updated-1-january-2018-version-31/p1

I have no idea why there isn't a direct link to this in a sticky.

Cluso has linked that one in his stickied topic, but that does involve a little bit of concentration to identify. Stickying the FPGA release topic itself would be the better way.

• picopico Posts: 29
    edited 2018-01-17 22:34
    Just a newcomer, I bought my first propeller about a week ago. Super cool chip, super fun to toy around with! Waiting for the Prop 2!
    I'm Seoul, South Korea, but attend high school in the US, EE is my hobby.
    pico wrote: »
    Just a newcomer, I bought my first propeller about a week ago. Super cool chip, super fun to toy around with! Waiting for the Prop 2!
    I'm Seoul, South Korea, but attend high school in the US, EE is my hobby.

Well, welcome to the the Prop2 forum! I'm glad you are here.
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2018-01-18 02:30
    Pico,

Best wishes.

There is great conversation all the time about both the P1 and the P2, past, present and future.
    What first brought the P1 to your attention? Chip is currently working on Spin2. Are you using Spin
    or C? and why?

RIch

By the way I encourage you to take the FPGA opportunity... It is truly amazing.
    If you do... get the P123A9 from Parallax. It was purpose built... the other options all involve
    compromises that you won't like.

• rjo__ wrote: »
    Pico,

Best wishes.

There is great conversation all the time about both the P1 and the P2, past, present and future.
    What first brought the P1 to your attention? Chip is currently working on Spin2. Are you using Spin
    or C? and why?

RIch

By the way I encourage you to take the FPGA opportunity... It is truly amazing.
    If you do... get the P123A9 from Parallax. It was purpose built... the other options all involve
    compromises that you won't like.

My hobby is playing with microcontrollers, like the Arduino platform, ESP8266, ESP32, STM32, etc.
    I was just rooting around the web when I found out this awesome little guy called the parallax propeller. Read lots of articles about it, great little chip. Fell in love with it! Immediately I bought 2 DIP-40 package chips and a propeller dev board. Had super fun playhing around with it. Then, I hear about the Propeller 2! That led me to post this forum topic. I'm using C because it's much easier IMO but I'm planning to learn Spin soon. I've been reading example code and documentation. Also, about the FPGA... I'm a student so I can't spend my parent's money on stuff I just want, and FPGAs are expensive, so while I have been considering buying an FPGA dev kit, I probably won't and just wait for the Propeller 2 to come out.
  • cgracey wrote: »
    If things go according to schedule, we will have prototypes in July, production a few months later.

This is amazing! So cool to see that we're getting close :). I just wanted to drop in and see if there was a schedule update and I'm thrilled that we do indeed have an update! Keep up the good work Chip, there are lot of us lurking silently awaiting posts like this one!
    I am glad you are interested, David.
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2018-01-22 19:19
    I am glad you are interested, David.

C'mon Chip.... We are all interested and just waiting for the day! I would be willing to wager that Marco (kuroneko) is just lurking in the background, waiting for an opportunity to have a go at this chip.

I know I bounce around a lot (project to project), but I have a new, huge CNC project well under way, and I would imagine that by mid-February, I should be ready to start programming.

There are six stepper motors and drivers just waiting for P2 control. Give me the darn chip, and I will show you a nice machine :)

EDIT: Better yet, help me make the beast run well on the P2, for promotional purposes of course :)
    Thanks, idbruce. I'm glad you are interested, too!
  • I'm going to throw my two cents into the conversation by saying I"m just starting to attempt to learn SPIN with little to no experience and it has been a journey, just when I get good at SPIN and the Propeller I will have to learn something newer (SPIN2/Propeller2) and couldn't be more excited, bring it on .......

I'm very Interested !!!