Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$15 Project Potential — Parallax Forums

$15 Project Potential

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
Who needs a huge "robot arm" project for 2018? This TRU Mega Crane has potential, I ordered one to pick up later today. The claw is manual, so I'll have to add a servo there, probably a standalone battery/IR control module. Looks like the crane has 3 motor for XYZ, it's a steal for $15, down from $40. https://www.toysrus.com/buy/toy-trucks-construction-farm/fast-lane-mega-crane-5f63072-57583566

Comments

• Hi

Here in the UK they are reduced from £49.99 to £24.98 - thats equivalent to $67.50 reduced to $33.72
    So not such a bargain here!!

Dave
  • Now, if I could trade an extra quick start board for one...
    Jim
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2018-01-02 15:28
    From the picture it looks like it does not rotate with the remote. Only up/down (claw string), and in/out (towards center tower/away from center tower).

P.S. Reading the comments, it sounds like it does rotate with a motor (not manual), but I only see two controls on the remote ???

P.S.S. Okay, watched a video, there are two buttons at the bottom of the remote to control up/down. So it DOES rotate with the remote.

Bean
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Looks like somebody did not get what they wanted for Christmas!

I expect to see this become a very tall Towers of Hanoi solver :)

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    tritonium wrote: »
    Hi

Here in the UK they are reduced from £49.99 to £24.98 - thats equivalent to $67.50 reduced to $33.72
    So not such a bargain here!!

Dave

Sure that price isn't from Toys AREN'T Us? :)
    Holy Smile! This thing is awesome! Huge and IMO perfect for a Maker Faire hack project. It's a lot of fun as-is, and ridiculously tall. I built it half height. My twins said dumb at first but now they LOVE it and won't give it back. The cat loves pawing at it too. I'll have to get another one for me.
    crane.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 137K
  • What, you’re out of table space, so it goes on a pinball machine?!
    1) I put it up there to get it away from them (didn't work), and
    2) I'm lucky the pinball machine was clear of other projects!
    Heater. wrote: »
    Looks like somebody did not get what they wanted for Christmas!

You couldn't be more wrong! My girls took excellent care of me! :)

2017sharp%20dressed%20man.jpg
    720 x 1280 - 240K
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2018-01-03 14:07
    Lucky man. Very Dapper. All I got was pyjamas.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Looks like a great buy.

So where can I get one+ in Oz?
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Looks like a great buy.

I'll bring you a free one if you spring for airfare. I could use a break from this winter weather.

It's down in the 60's in the daytime!

• Sweet. If you happen to take it apart I'd love to see the motors and gearing.
    I guess you mean when I replace the motors with Feedback 360 servos!
    erco wrote: »
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Looks like a great buy.

I'll bring you a free one if you spring for airfare. I could use a break from this winter weather.

It's down in the 60's in the daytime!
    Forecast is for 38C here on Sunday, though IIRC that's down from 40's forecast just a day or two ago.

I am saving my $ for the P2 launch, although sadly it's more likely to be spent on a UK trip to visit my daughter and family :(:)
    Hmmm. Weather's better here. Hope to see you at Ken's Party. :)
    If it's any consolation, you have some cheap robot toys in Oz that cost a small fortune here. It took me over a year to find a local Homersapien under a hundred bucks. Makes me think they were only sold in Oz!

All it takes is one sucker... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Homersapien-Robosapien-RC-Remote-Control-Robot-Mini-Motorized-Homer-Simpson-Set/112725136134

• @erco
    Have you heard of Eric Joyner? He's the Robots and Donuts artist. I think you'd enjoy his work.
    Ha, had not seen that. Some interesting stuff.

https://ericjoyner.com/
    Erco,
    Bet you are glad you didn't fly over here today!

44C

Meanwhile 2C in the U.K. Where our daughter lives.
  • erco wrote: »
    Holy Smile! This thing is awesome! Huge and IMO perfect for a Maker Faire hack project. It's a lot of fun as-is, and ridiculously tall. I built it half height. My twins said dumb at first but now they LOVE it and won't give it back. The cat loves pawing at it too. I'll have to get another one for me.
    crane.jpg

I see you have a Demon Cat! :-)

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    @ajward - Great to hear from you!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2018-01-11 04:21
    @erco
    Have you heard of Eric Joyner? He's the Robots and Donuts artist. I think you'd enjoy his work.

@mikeologist - Love, love, love this. Hours of distraction and cost me money! Directly to my blog!

http://roboticsunderthestole.blogspot.com/2018/01/my-kind-of-art.html

Thanks for sharing this!

@erco - I guess even the comments in one of your threads costs me money. Had to get the book! And hope to get the next one... See blog post for complete confession.