Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FTL=Faster Than Light — Parallax Forums

FTL=Faster Than Light

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2017-12-26 18:24 in General Discussion
People have nothing better to do than to make up acronyms for things that aren't even real? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster-than-light

Generate your own at http://acronymcreator.net/ace.py

With such a snappy algorithm available, I have to wonder why Parallax settled for "S3" for their enhanced Propeller-based Scribbler robot? :)

For starters: (yes, Smile is really on the list!):

PROSE Parallax RObot Scribbler Enhanced
PARSE PArallax Robot Scribbler Enhanced
PARE PArallax Robot Enhanced
ROSE RObot Scribbler Enhanced
PASE PArallax Scribbler Enhanced
PROBE Parallax ROBot Enhanced
PAREN PArallax Robot ENhanced
PAROS PArallax RObot Scribbler
PuRSE Parallax Robot Scribbler Enhanced
PRiSE Parallax Robot Scribbler Enhanced
PRaSE Parallax Robot Scribbler Enhanced
PRO Parallax RObot
PAR PArallax Robot
ROE RObot Enhanced
PEN Parallax ENhanced
PAP PArallax Propeller
PAS PArallax Scribbler
SEN Scribbler ENhanced
PARSEE PArallax Robot ScribblEr Enhanced
PARSEC PArallax Robot Scribbler EnhanCed
PARPEN PARallax Propeller ENhanced
PORE PrOpeller Robot Enhanced
POSE PrOpeller Scribbler Enhanced
PARSEr PArallax Robot Scribbler Enhanced
PROB Parallax ROBot
PARR PARallax Robot
ROBE ROBot Enhanced
PyRE Parallax Robot Enhanced
PuRE Parallax Robot Enhanced
PREz Parallax Robot Enhanced
PREy Parallax Robot Enhanced
PREp Parallax Robot Enhanced
RuSE Robot Scribbler Enhanced
RiSE Robot Scribbler Enhanced
RaSE Robot Scribbler Enhanced
PoPE Parallax Propeller Enhanced
PiPE Parallax Propeller Enhanced
PAPER PArallax PropEller Robot
POSEN PrOpeller Scribbler ENhanced
PROPS PROPeller Scribbler
RED Robot EnhanceD
REC Robot EnhanCed
PER PropEller Robot
PEE Parallax EnhancEd
PEC Parallax EnhanCed
PEA Parallax EnhAnced
PSI Parallax ScrIbbler
POE PrOpeller Enhanced
SEE ScribblEr Enhanced
SEC Scribbler EnhanCed
SEA Scribbler EnhAnced
SBE ScriBbler Enhanced
PES PropEller Scribbler
PROvE Parallax RObot Enhanced
PROnE Parallax RObot Enhanced
PROlE Parallax RObot Enhanced
PROEm Parallax RObot Enhanced
PReEN Parallax Robot ENhanced
PARvE PArallax Robot Enhanced
PAREu PArallax Robot Enhanced
PAdRE PArallax Robot Enhanced
PROSy Parallax RObot Scribbler
PROSt Parallax RObot Scribbler
PARkS PArallax Robot Scribbler
PARiS PArallax Robot Scribbler
ROuSE RObot Scribbler Enhanced
PhASE PArallax Scribbler Enhanced
PeASE PArallax Scribbler Enhanced
PAuSE PArallax Scribbler Enhanced
PAStE PArallax Scribbler Enhanced
PASEo PArallax Scribbler Enhanced
uPROSE Parallax RObot Scribbler Enhanced
sPARSE PArallax Robot Scribbler Enhanced
eRSE Robot Scribbler Enhanced
Smile Robot Scribbler Enhanced
aPSE Parallax Scribbler Enhanced
PRy Parallax Robot
PiR Parallax Robot
RyE Robot Enhanced
RuE Robot Enhanced
REx Robot Enhanced
REv Robot Enhanced
REt Robot Enhanced
REp Robot Enhanced

Comments

• Scro - Scribbler Robot, but personally I like S3 a bit better
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Scro - Scribbler Robot, but personally I like S3 a bit better

Suppose you gave that robot an automatic TUMbler feed?

• FTL - ... it's all wrong anyway... they are close, towards the end, where they say "The speed of light is a dimensional quantity" but they still have it all wrong.
  • Erco, what about FTx, just like there is DFx (Design for ?)

Faster Than <Insert Word Here!>
  • A fancy name for the Scribbler could be the Cursive
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-12-27 08:46
    Hmmm....that's odd.

When I hit the faster than light link yeseterday it took me directly to here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTL:_Faster_Than_Light which is all about a computer game.

Now it takes me to the correct wiki page.

Anyway, I like the approach cosmologists take. Just set the speed of light to 1. And a bunch of other constants. Makes working through their equations much simpler.

For example E = mc^2 just becomes E = m. Which clearly suggests that Energy and mass are equivalent.

Useful when you are working out the information content of black holes and such. As you do from time to time :)

Genetix wrote: »
    Erco, what about FTx, just like there is DFx (Design for ?)

Faster Than <Insert Word Here!>

Faster than <those big Japanese mushrooms>!

• Erco,
    Are you referring to Shitake mushrooms?

Star Trek had the Warp drive.
    Star Wars had Light Speed.
    Buck Rogers had Star Gates.
    Robotech had the Hyperspace Fold.
    Babylon 5 had the Jump drive/gate.
    Andromeda had the Slip-stream drive.
    Stargate had the Hyper-drive and FTL drive (Universe).
    Event Horizon had the Gravity drive?
    All of which are a bit slow compared to Dr Who and his Tardis. :)

Erco,

I don't take those from nobody!

• erco wrote: »
    Erco,

I don't take those from nobody!

Now that's a subject that a mikeologist should know about.
  • In 1982 the UK sci-fi series "Blakes 7" used the word 'infraluminal' to refer to flight that (when looked at from the future) was of the old-fashioned slower-than-light type. The opposite, 'Ultraluminal', seems more elegant than 'FTL'.
  • And now "The Orville" has Quantum Drive.
    That sounds like the Infinite Improbability Drive from Hitch Hikers.

Why bother with all that tedious moving around when just by some random chance you can happen to be there. Or somewhere else...

• Add the SEP (Somebody Else's Problem) cloaking device (from Hitchhikers also), and you've got a complete set!
  • If anybody is still looking for a open-sourced design for warp drive (that can be signaled with either the P1 or P2 board) than I am attaching this for Parallax Community consumption.

The design assumes the universe is made of plasma - not spacetime.
    But, this design allows for the slowing and cooling of plasma.
    It is method for building a slowed, cooled Impermeable Plasma Barrier - with Tubular Linear Induction Motors inside.

In other words, a Newtonian warp drive. Signalling frequencies & phases are included.
    Contribute code if you wish.

To be able to vary the frequencies & phases is important, but Duty Cycle can be replaced with a variable power supply.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    Sounds like the return of luminiferous aether.
  • jonabel1971jonabel1971 Posts: 184
    edited 2020-07-08 09:28
    As long as people use different names to describe Space Plasma, we will potentially not agree on a starting point for this project.

"evanh" appears to be a discussion bot - otherwise they would not be confusing the issues for those who understand the need for a warp drive.

If you are not a discussion bot - you will now be considered one - by people trying to signal Space Plasma properly. After all the events of the last 20 years - is there anyone else who sees the necessity to try?

NOTE: If anybody else chooses to blow their chances of helping - by acting like a discussion bot, then take note of how to easy it is to identify & expose this online behavior.

LOL, wants and needs certainly don't have any bearing on the physics of the universe. Wanting to be Superman won't make it happen.

Why would it be necessary?

• jonabel1971jonabel1971 Posts: 184
    edited 2020-07-22 13:11
    Necessity is the mother of invention. It has everything to do with making it happen.
    If you've been living under a rock "evanh"- there is a pandemic & a war still going on.

Plus, it's 100 seconds to midnight on the Doomsday clock.
    Since you are a discussion bot - I'm sure you don't give a hill of beans about your own depopulation.

But, it's necessary for intelligent humans to survive - and as subjective as might sound - Trump isn't worth being the only person left. Look no further than your water towers - and you realize why I became a contentious objector before designing Tubular Linear Induction Motors.

"erco" obviously knows what big, Japanese mushrooms are.
    Stupid bot. Probably programmed to wait for a savior to come back & trivialize any attempts at leaving the planet.
    I'm sure your DOD coder would be proud of his creation.
  • Necessity is the mother of invention. It has everything to do with making it happen.
    If you've been living under a rock "evanh"- there is a pandemic & a war still going on.

Plus, it's 100 seconds to midnight on the Doomsday clock.
    Since you are a discussion bot - I'm sure you don't give a hill of beans about your own depopulation.

But, it's necessary for intelligent humans to survive - and as subjective as might sound - Trump isn't worth being the only person left. Look no further than your water towers - and you realize why I became a contentious objector before designing Tubular Linear Induction Motors. Stupid bot.

Moderator notice:

Please refrain from negative comments towards other forum members. This is against forum guidelines, and against common decency.

For your information, @evanh is a long standing contributor here with almost 9700 posts logged next to his name. Certainly not a bot, and certainly not a stupid bot.

• rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    So,

If nothing travels faster than the speed of light, how does quantum entanglement work?

If two space ships take off at the same time from roughly the same place and accelerate in roughly the same way but in opposite directions... and achieve anything over half the speed of light... with an observer staying at the point of origin... How does time on the spaceships behave relative to the point of origin and with respect to each other?

It is all nonsense. The same is true for all expressions of energy... they are internally inconsistent. The math never adds up and no-one really seems to care.

It would be a big joke if it weren't so damaging.

How can any physics exist with the wrong definition of energy?

Quite happily. A..h.les.

Rich
    scchn

• rjo__ wrote: »
    If nothing travels faster than the speed of light, how does quantum entanglement work?
    No information travels faster than the speed of light (or more accurately, there is a maximum speed of information in the universe, and we believe light travels at that speed; if it doesn't, it's very very slightly less than that speed). Quantum entanglement isn't very well understood, but it seems there's no way to send information via entanglement, so it does not conflict with relativity.
    If two space ships take off at the same time from roughly the same place and accelerate in roughly the same way but in opposite directions... and achieve anything over half the speed of light... with an observer staying at the point of origin... How does time on the spaceships behave relative to the point of origin and with respect to each other?
    There is no unique "time", just as there's no unique "left" or "right"; they're all just coordinates. Two observers moving relative to each other have different definitions of "now", just as they may have different definitions of "left", "right", "forward", "back", etc.

I know that seems really weird, but it's very well tested. Relativity is not some exotic new theory, it's over 100 years old and engineers have to take relativistic effects into account all the time. Our current atomic clocks are very much sensitive enough to detect relativistic effects even at speeds we can reach. The GPS system is a classic example: it has to be adjusted for relativity in order to work properly.

• rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Listen to yourself:)

Mathematically, information is the same thing as negative entropy. Information depends upon a statistical representation of events. So, if information changes because of quantum events and those quantum events are entangled with others... then the change of entangled states will also cause a change of information...and it happens simultaneously.

The deeper problem is with the definition of energy. Take your pick. Define a system which simultaneously conserves both momentum and energy... try it.

It is all nonsense. You can do science with it only because you can break science into an infinite number of impermeable partitions.

It is all screwed up and the longer we debate the issue, the more screwed up it becomes.

Rich
    scchn

• rjo__ wrote: »
    Mathematically, information is the same thing as negative entropy. Information depends upon a statistical representation of events. So, if information changes because of quantum events and those quantum events are entangled with others... then the change of entangled states will also cause a change of information...and it happens simultaneously.
    You cannot use entanglement to send the value of a bit (whether it is 0 or 1) from one person to another. If you think otherwise, go ahead, demonstrate how it can be done -- you'll probably become rich and famous :).

Like I said, neither relativity nor quantum mechanics is particularly new; they've been used and tested in practical applications for a century now. If you think they're wrong, the onus is very much on you to prove it. And I do mean *prove* it, not just claim "it doesn't make sense to me, therefore it is wrong".
  • @rjo__
    The issue with quantum entanglement is that you only know the state of the local particle after observing it, but you can't control the state. If an electron has an upward spin, then you know that the distant entangled electron will have a downward spin. However, you can't control the spin, so there is no way to use it to send information.

The simple example of two rockets traveling in opposite directions is well understood, and they do not travel faster than the speed of light relative to each other, or relative to any other frame of reference. Google it. The GPS system wouldn't work well if we didn't compensate for relativistic effects. There are many things that help to validate the theory of relativity, such as the precession of Mercury's orbit, time dilation measured on spacecraft, gravitational lensing, etc.

A closed system conserves both energy and momentum. Can you give an example of a closed system that violates this?
  • Douglas Adams solved that problem.

Some alien civilization solved the FTL problem with driving there ships with 'bad news' certainly moving faster then the speed of light.

Sadly those ships where never welcomed when they landed, so the Idea was abandoned.

Enjoy!

Mike
    Necessity is the mother of invention.
    No argument there. It's great for bringing ideas to fruition. And sometimes might even lead to new discoveries. But it won't change how the universe works - Superman will always be a fantasy.

As for the, presumably, covid-19 pandemic and some unnamed war, I can't say I see any connection to your postings. A vaccine is the end-game for the virus. I don't know how you intend to stop wars with your proposals.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    OK, take the two ships...

We have a straight line A-B-C. Both ships start at point B and move in opposite directions, one towards A, the other towards B.
    They both instantaneously advance speed to 0.75c (0.75 * speed of light).
    Now, the observer at point B sees both spaceships moving away from him at 0.75c.
    However, neither spaceship will see each other move away as the light from one will never reach the other unless they stop and wait.

BUT, this does not mean that the relative speed between the two spaceships isn't 1.5c.
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    However, neither spaceship will see each other move away as the light from one will never reach the other unless they stop and wait.
    I've tried to ask about that to someone more knowledgeable a long time ago. I didn't get a satisfactory answer at the time. My dim understanding since tells me there is a distinction between expansion/contraction of space vs propelling of matter. No doubt knowing the maths likely helps a lot.
    BUT, this does not mean that the relative speed between the two spaceships isn't 1.5c.
    That's a double-negative! Typo?

This discussion has been closed.