Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Carol's Christmas Challenge 2017 - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Carol's Christmas Challenge 2017

124»

Comments

• JonM, that gives me an idea for a new kind of bubble light! And using a FLiP makes it pretty portable. Great looking ornament.
  • So, I created a second Ornament but decided to paint the top to resemble the Parallax Propeller Hat Logo and added a propeller from a drone kit. Now I can work on getting the two bulbs strung together and work on the JSON and Javascript code to control this via a web page.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Beautiful, but...

Prop...

must...

SPIN!

:)
    Just started today. What am I?

• The Famous Erco Tiltomatic!
    The Famous Erco Tiltomatic!

Winner! Ding ding ding! One last bot this year, think I can squeeze it in.
  • Eric, Nice! Looking forward to new bot.
    erco wrote: »
    Beautiful, but...

Prop...

must...

SPIN!

:)

Code Wise, Sorry, but I'm a little partial of a 'C', though I have no issue with SPIN.

Ornament wise, I have considered looking to add a nano motor to control the propeller, so I'll see what I can toss in.
    Say hello to my little friend Rocky. 3mm red eye LEDs look white here.

• AAAHH! Tilto is too cute for words. He does look a little (get ready for it.....) trashy.
    I was going to add LMAO but maybe I am punnier in my own mind than real life.
    edited 2017-12-20 23:44
    Trashy but efficient. One little 9g servo is doing all the work. You can be sure he'll do a figure 8 over the break. Think he needs a Santa hat.

BTW, that's a 94-cent Walmart trash can. Finally, an item that's even cheaper than Dollar Tree!
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,740
    edited 2017-12-21 02:35
    Erco,

Trashy the noisy bot looks more suited for Halloween than Christmas but excellent K.I.S.S. job!!!
  • Love it! Never underestimate the trash can chassis.
    JonM wrote: »
    Ornament wise, I have considered looking to add a nano motor to control the propeller, so I'll see what I can toss in.

Or take a trick from toy bizz. Mount a free-spinning propeller on the ornament hanger wire, then have an external fan blowing on the ornament and spinning the propeller for free. :)

• erco wrote: »
    Or take a trick from toy bizz. Mount a free-spinning propeller on the ornament hanger wire, then have an external fan blowing on the ornament and spinning the propeller for free. :)

Thanks! I'll have to look at that.

Thus far I have added a second RGB for another Ornament as well as a 96x64 OLED to display a Snowman Graphic and some animated snow running on a separate cog; I appreciate the assist on this from another post.
    Also, I have Flask running on a Raspberry Pi which acts as a Web server where I can send commands to the Bluetooth enabled FLiP to control the RGB colors from a Browser.

Here is a vid showing the second X-Mas Ornament and the OLED running the Snowman routine. The OLED is further in the back ground so its a bit difficult to see.

This is a better view of the OLED with the Connect Ornaments in the background.

Now I need to work on getting this in some sort of case to hang them on the tree.
  • JonMJonM Posts: 318
    edited 2017-12-30 10:18
    So, it is a bit past Christmas, but here be my completed FLiP Connected Bluetooth Ornament Project. The FLiP was mounted in a 40 pin socket that is soldered to a proto PCB and then I ran wires and a cable to connect the OLED and Bluetooth module. These were mounted to the face plate of the case I created. The Face plate was created from Clear Acrylic plastic and the back was created from Black plastic. I painted the case using a Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze paint and added some Jim Holtz idea-ology ornament pieces to the case.

Here be a video of the case.

So, when this is run.

1. I start Flask on the Raspberry Pie
    2. Power on the FLiP circuit
    3. Connect to the Flask web service from an iPad browser
    4. Send commands to control the RGB LEDs from the browser.

This is what the whole thing looks like on the old tree.
    NOTE: I was holding an old iPhone in one hand to record and held an iPad in the other hand to send commands so the video is a bit shaky.
    Looks fantastic! Jules Verne would be proud to have that.Nice job!
  • It is that time of year again. Here is a little opening salvo.

3456 x 4608 - 3M
    4608 x 3456 - 4M
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    And she's off!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Oh boy, I did not get last years Christmas project done yet.
  • I have a bunch ideas for this year! Some are good and some (most) are corny. Here is Frosty
    the Snowman. Base is a Vorpal hexapod with my own 3D printed head on it. Need to design a
    dance routine for it.
    4608 x 3456 - 4M