Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DEBUG jams programming port — Parallax Forums

DEBUG jams programming port

hi there,
My previous program on a BS2 chip was probablly coded with high speed polling on I/O pins over BS2 ,thus making me unable to write code into it again.
Is there anyway to solve? thanks in advance.

Kelvin, L.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-12-11 22:37
    Are you using the latest Basic Stamp Tool? (2.5.3).

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/basic-stamp-editor-software-windows

Do you have a serial or USB connection?

You should be able to reprogram a BS if it is recognized by the the Basic Stamp Tool.
  • Hold the reset button down and let go of it just before or at the same time that you program it. After a few tries, you'll get lucky and the timing will be right and it will accept the new program.
  • If the chip is streaming data to the programming port, and if you're using a Windows PC, Windows might be mistaking it for a mouse. You can check this in the control panel. If it claims there's a mouse on the BS2's serial port, you can disable the errant mouse to gain control of the BS2.

-Phil
  • If the chip is streaming data to the programming port, and if you're using a Windows PC, Windows might be mistaking it for a mouse. You can check this in the control panel. If it claims there's a mouse on the BS2's serial port, you can disable the errant mouse to gain control of the BS2.

-Phil

Good call Phil. Didn't think of that.

• Thanks a lot to everyone.
    It is solved, thanks for the hints.

I was trying the new programmer, the "Parallax IDE on Chrome" on Mac OS X, with a "PL2302 Serial port to usb cable from Prolific Technology" connected to a BS2 BOE.
    But the programmer IDE always took a long while to scan for the serial device, and always hint me with "Board did not respond, check power and connection" on /dev/tty.usbserial.
    Later i use "CoolTerm - the serial terminal" and found out that BS2 has debug message keep comming out.
    That's why I called for help.

I came back to Windows 7 and use Basic Stamp editor 2.5.3 to program it, it has no problem at all.
    I don't know which part is wrong, but it seems the respond of programmer on Mac is way slower than on Windows.