Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax SX Assembler Getting Ready — Parallax Forums

Parallax SX Assembler Getting Ready

microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
edited 2017-11-12 04:20 in BASIC Stamp
Getting ready to start using the SX.

Using SX/B Help that is in SX Key Editor.
The SX/B compiler is a BASIC language compiler for the Parallax SX family (SX20, SX28, SX48) microcontroller (as well as the older Ubicom™ SX18 and SX52), and was designed to meet two specific goals:

1 Expedite the task of the professional engineer by creating a simple, yet robust high-level language for the SX microcontroller. This allows SX-based projects to be prototyped and coded quickly.

2 Assist the student programmer wishing to make the transition from pure high-level programming (i.e., PBASIC) to low-level programming (SX assembly language).

SX/B is an non-optimizing, inline compiler. What this means is that each BASIC language statement is converted to a block of assembly code in-line at the program location; no attempt is made to remove redundant instructions that would optimize code space. This allows the advanced programmer to modify code as required for specific projects, and -- perhaps more importantly -- provides an opportunity for the student to learn SX assembly language techniques by viewing a 1-for-1 (from BASIC to assembly language) output

Comments

• Isn't SX End-Of-Life? PropBasic on the Propeller is very similar to SX/B and written by the same compiler author, Bean, I believe. Just a data point!

Mike R...
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2017-11-10 00:49
    Yes, the SX is long dead, but that's not stopping @Microcontrolleruser. I suspect he keeps a few dead horses around for beating, too. :lol::lol::lol:

That said, as a gift to him, I am releasing a bit of commercial code that I wrote for an SX-based product I designed for EFX-TEK; this product was very popular with Halloween customers as it can be programmed without a computer -- it's essentially an 8-channel digital recorder. This product has since been replaced by a new version that uses the Propeller, allows for two shows, and has a serial connection for our audio players.

The schematic and code are attached under MIT license. That is to say, no warranty, and no, I will not answer questions about the code (until today, the last time I looked at it was when I was creating the Spin/PASM version for the new board).

You can find the docs for the EZ-8 here: http://www.efx-tek.com/downloads/ez-8_quick_start.pdf

• Mike

Just think PIC. Very little difference between Parallax SX and PIC.

Anything learned with SX can be applied to PIC.

SX/B is great for learning assembler for the reasons in first post.

We will be chugging along with this.

• Jon

Thanks for the early Christmas gift!

SX/B is great!

Anything you code helps you learn assembler.

You just look at the listing and see same code in assembler.

Very cool! :smile:

Right now that is the level of immersion in assembler I can handle.

Sort of sneaking up on it! :smile:
  • Good stuff, I admire your curiosity and obvious desire to educate yourself, Micro! Carry on sir.
    Also, it's very cool for Jon to share awesome, helpful learning aids/code/etc.

Mike R...
  • Wonderful! Can you design a high-volume consumer application with your new interest in the SX? And get it done by the end of December?

I have 50K SX48s left in stock and I'm ready to deal! We truly went overboard with our end-of-life notification and subsequent lifetime supply.

Who wants to make a deal? Finally, after all these years, I can pick up the remaining SX inventory with two hands. I'm ready to clear the stacks for something new, like the P2.

Ken Gracey

• Ken

Nice to hear you being executive and declaring the Prop 2 will be out by Xmas!

About time somebody drew a line in the sand about that! :smile:

Now. Back to a 'real engineer's' micro.The SX. :smile:

Looking for the SX/B manual by Jon Williams.

• Mike

Thank you!

The competitor to SX is PICBasic. They both have their pro's and con's.

The SX will do. Keeps it simple. You are not choosing from 100's of PIC's.

At one time there were many Basic compilers for PIC. No more.
  • Nice to hear you being executive and declaring the Prop 2 will be out by Xmas!

Your words, not mine! We don't want to create any unnecessary excitement here, from our forumistas, do we?

And JonnyMac's SX/B works are here https://www.parallax.com/downloads/practical-sxb-source-code

I have 16 SX-Keys left, and then they're gone for. . .for forever.

Don't buy them too quickly because they need to last as long as the SX48s.

Ken Gracey

• Ken

Don't lose any sleep about me.

Iconstructix said they would email me when their supply of SX-Keys gets low.

You get that kind of personalized service you get with smaller companies. :smile:

I'm sensing a renaissance for the SX. A 'New Beginning'.

Knock on wood we are 'SXing' sometime after Monday.

That SX Editor is just awe inspiring.
    edited 2017-11-10 03:11
    Looking for the SX/B manual by Jon Williams.
    JonnyMac is the artist formerly known as Jon Williams. Yes, I live and work in Hollywood and sometimes refer to myself in the third person.

Now. Back to a 'real engineer's' micro.The SX.
    I didn't go to college, but I am a real engineer who has produced dozens of commerical products with Parallax microcontrollers, and I graduated to the Propeller a long time ago. Chip created the Propeller in part because he was frustrated with what we couldn't do with the SX (which was created by Scenix with his input). The Propeller is all his, and he didn't have to answer to anybody (except Ken and Chuck who were concerned about schedule).

I'm sensing a renaissance for the SX. A 'New Beginning'.
    Your senses are broken! :lol:

• Mr Williams

I've misplaced my link to 'SX/B by Jon Williams'.

I was just looking at it about a week ago.

Could you let me know where it can be found please?
    edited 2017-11-10 04:04
    I guess my reference to the amazing artist, Prince, went past you. I am no longer called Jon Williams. My name is Jon McPhalen. It's a SAG-AFTRA thing, and a way for me to honor my grandfather.

Ken pointed you to the link:
    -- https://www.parallax.com/downloads/practical-sxb-source-code

There are also several back issues of Nuts & Volts magazine that have project articles using the SX (probably under my old name). They used to be on the Parallax site, but I'm not sure where to find them.

• Jon

Thank you sir.

'Nuts & Volts magazine that have project articles using the SX '

Yes. They came up when I was searching tonight for 'Practical SX/B by Jon Williams'.

When I went to extract it this time it said 'two files with this name'.

Anyhow. Very good little text!

We're good with SX/B now having come across the assembler angle.
  • microcontrollerusermicrocontrolleruser Posts: 1,194
    edited 2017-11-11 16:35
    Reading 'Practical SX/B' by Jon Williams.

Our SX Key (Serial version) and SX Project board are scheduled to be shipped out today.

We have a SX28/28 Proto Board. brand new. Might have gotten it from Parallax just a year or two ago.

Project board is like a Homework board or BOE. Proto board is like a Propeller proto board.

Practical SX/B is very well written.

• Just to spit it out. We're going with assembler.

Not going to get this far and make a another detour.

Puttering around with SX Editor.

It has Debug mode. Also has SX Sim.

Will just hold out until SX Key gets here and use Debug.