Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I am a raw newbie to the Propeller! — Parallax Forums

I am a raw newbie to the Propeller!

Hello all,
. . . . The Propeller is completely new territory for me. I have done a lot of BASIC programming and I have a working knowledge of C. I have also done some ASM on various processors including the PICs. Most of the time I used C to program PICs. I also have a Parallax BASIC Stamp BOE-BOT.
. . . . I am with a group of people that are building S-100 based computers. They are designing and building new boards for the S-100 buss. After decades of putting off but following the S-100 I have decided to build a S-100 computer. I have built a Propeller based Console and IO board. It is able to read a PC style keyboard and output to a SVGA monitor. My difficulty right now is that I don't have a CPU board.
. . . . My Propeller board is up and working to a certain extent. I have a flashing cursor on the monitor and I receive a Key Scan Code when I press a key. Any other key presses are ignored. Here is the problem. Since there is no CPU the data that is placed on the S-100 buss can't be read and routed to the monitor. I would like to place a loop in the existing code to read the Scan Code, look up the proper Key code, place the Character on the Monitor, display the Key Code on the Hexidecimal output LEDs, and prepare to receive the next key press.
. . . . I don't know how to do any of this. I am studying but I didn't write any of the .spin code for the propeller. The code was written by our S-100 GURU. At this point I don't even know where to place the code to do this. I have uploaded the code that does all of this. Could I please get help with this?
Thanks,
rich!

Comments

• MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    hm ... maybe ask the S-100 guru who wrote the code ??
  • MJB,
    . . . . I guess that I am on my own. He says he is too busy to help. I believe him. I was hoping for some help from here.
    Thanks,
    rich!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Or you could give up the old S100 bus idea and embrace the RC2014. Then you could build a Z80 computer and use a Propeller as a VGA text Terminal:

http://rc2014.co.uk/

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/167592/propeller-ansi-vt-100-terminal-with-vga-and-usb-keyboard-support#latest

Sounds great to me.

• I looked at ConsoleIO.spin. Am I correct in thinking you are already displaying the scan code on the hex displays?

And you want to convert this to a ASCII character and send it to the te. object?
  • I think he wants the scan code converted to a character, then passed on to the VT100 emulator as if there was a Z80 card running a program that just copied keyboard input to the display.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    The attached modified ConsoleIO.spin should do what you want.
  • Tom, Mike, Kwinn,
    . . . . Correct in that I want to Echo the typed character to the Monitor. I also would like to send the Keycode of the character to the left most Hexadecimal displays. There are two sets of these displays. Each set consists of two displays which is 16 bits. The first set displays the Keycode and the second set displays the Scancode. I'll try the new ConsoleIO.spin tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    rich!

MJB,
    . . . . I guess that I am on my own. He says he is too busy to help. I believe him. I was hoping for some help from here.
    Thanks,
    rich!
    kwinn wrote: »
    The attached modified ConsoleIO.spin should do what you want.

• Kwinn,
    . . . . It didn't work.
    Thanks,
    rich!
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    mechanic_2 wrote: »
    Kwinn,
    . . . . It didn't work.
    Thanks,
    rich!

Sorry about that. Had no hardware to test it on. A bit busy right now but will try it on one of my prop boards when I get back and have some time.
  • Kwinn,
    . . . . NP! I understand!
    Thanks,
    rich!
    mechanic_2 wrote: »
    Kwinn,
    . . . . It didn't work.
    Thanks,
    rich!