Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #5: BlocklyProp - Page 9 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #5: BlocklyProp

12345679»

Comments

• Michel L,
    As for requests for blocks - how about blocks for the Scribbler 3?
    I suggest two.
    First, I would love a serial port with user-defined pins and the ability to check how many characters are in the input buffer.
    Second, would be support for the parallax compass, including a calibration routine.
  • Hey John! Sorry we didn't get to talk today. I was in a course with 18 instructors.

We can basically do anything with the S3 blocks. We just need to consider the typical customers (middle school teachers) so we don't overwhelm them with things they don't understand. Even a terminal block can be a bit challenging when it's the first time you've encountered such an idea.

Let's discuss early next week to see how we could handle this. We could enable any of the blocks in the superset you see for the Propeller ActivityBoard but such a decision includes some serious "gotchas". One of them is that the S3 is already using quite a bit of the P1 resources (cogs) and buffered serial could push us into some unknowns.

Monday we can talk about the best way to accomplish your goals.

Ken Gracey
  • Hey John! Sorry we didn't get to talk today. I was in a course with 18 instructors.

We can basically do anything with the S3 blocks. We just need to consider the typical customers (middle school teachers) so we don't overwhelm them with things they don't understand. Even a terminal block can be a bit challenging when it's the first time you've encountered such an idea.

Let's discuss early next week to see how we could handle this. We could enable any of the blocks in the superset you see for the Propeller ActivityBoard but such a decision includes some serious "gotchas". One of them is that the S3 is already using quite a bit of the P1 resources (cogs) and buffered serial could push us into some unknowns.

Monday we can talk about the best way to accomplish your goals.

Ken Gracey
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2017-10-14 00:22
    Hey Ken,
    Maybe just add an S3-Advanced (or some other better name) "Board/Device type" with the extra blocks that you don't want to confuse regular S3 folks with?
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Hey Ken,
    Maybe just add an S3-Advanced (or some other better name) "Board/Device type" with the extra blocks that you don't want to confuse regular S3 folks with?

That's one approach. There's actually quite a bit of possibilities with Blockly and the Hacker Port, but it's not as wide as some may like it. Sometimes these kinds of projects take more time than we can provide. We're trying to keep the Reference/Tutorials current with Blockly, for example.

If John wants buffered serial via RF, I'm wondering about dropping an XBee into the WX socket. It's connected to P30/31 and the XBee has a buffer, so. . . .

Ken Gracey