Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Electronic Goldmine surprise box sale — Parallax Forums

Electronic Goldmine surprise box sale

EG has both the big box o'relays AND the RCA replacement part mystery box on sale through Friday. Anyway, in case you don't want to order them I did, and I'll document them when they arrive -- but then it will be too late to get your own :-)

Comments

• If you missed the Sparkfun dumpster dive and were horribly disappointed, this is for you!
  • I didn't miss it I decided against trying to buy the blasted thing because I've been told there's no room for the stuff.

--
    Strange, the erco robots were last seen visiting your place Roger, before making their way up here.
  • Well Buck, you can always catch my unpacking post :-)
  • Oh and erco's robots must be quite stealthy, as I haven't noticed them. Then again I can't seem to find my reading glasses...
  • I have been visited by Erco's robots :) In fact there is one right over... oh no, where did it go? It must be on its way to Buck's place.

The RCA box for $6 is hard to pass up, Idk about this $10 min order. This would be nice to have. http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20647
  • Yep Xanadu those wafers are beautiful. I got a couple bought from gem & mineral shows before the internet was such a thing.
  • localroger wrote: »
    Oh and erco's robots must be quite stealthy, as I haven't noticed them. Then again I can't seem to find my reading glasses...

Hello!
    Yes they are. They were let inside by a rather large tom who happened to be wearing your readers. They left after checking to see what a house where you are looks like inside. They are making their way up here to participate in Maker Faire.

• xanadu wrote: »
    I have been visited by Erco's robots :) In fact there is one right over... oh no, where did it go? It must be on its way to Buck's place.

The RCA box for $6 is hard to pass up, Idk about this $10 min order. This would be nice to have. http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20647

No your visitor is still there, and why are you wearing that hat? It's right next to a rather big domestic.
  • Boxes shipped today Monday 9/18, priority mail, should be here for Wednesday...
  • Relays!

relays-box.jpg
    relays-sorted.jpg

So this is what comes in your 4 inch cube box of Electronic Goldmine Relay Assortment. TL;DR summary: hope you like 24VDC coils.

At the upper left we have two dark green opaque Kuhnke time delay relays, 12VDC coils. There's another in a slighlty different package with a 24VDC coil on the middle right. These all have screwdriver timing adjustments and status LED's on the top and 11-pin nominally 3PDT industrial sockets, although two of these are SPDT and the other DPDT. The Google it does nothing and it's not clear whether the timing functions are delay on or off or whatever. DC power supply time sometime to figure it out.

The big ice cube relay on the upper right is a massive high-voltage high-current SPST job with a 24VDC coil and contacts rated at 30 amps for normal house voltages.

Below the 12V time delays are two groups of black PC mount relays. The top group are ten Zettlers, EGM p/n G18658 24VDC high resistance 1600 ohm coils and 5 amp 125VAC contacts. They sell these for $1.39 each on the website.

Below the Zettlers are a group of ten CDE's, EGM p/n G20973 which they sell in a factory tube of 25 for $20. They are 24VDC 1600 ohm coil, 12 amp 125VAC contacts. The fact that there are 10 each of the Zettlers and CDE's suggests that they are not being added to the "surprise" box randomly.

To the right of the Zettlers is a mystery, a reedish looking PC mount relay sitting on the box it was packed in within the surprise box. Other than the numbers 85Q4-0001 and COTO-9117 (9118 on box) there are no manufacturer's marx or other ID info. COTO is a company that makes relays but their 9000 series is a very different thing. Structurally it seems likely to be a DPDT reed relay, but what's the coil voltage?

To the right and below the COTO is another Kuhnke, this just a simple 3PDT relay. The markings are cryptic but it might have a 110VDC coil (?). It also has a mechanical button on top which allows you to manually force the relay to switch.

To the right of the aformentioned CDE's are more CDE's, five clearly marked 24VDC coil SPST 20 amp/125VAC contact jobs. In the notch with them is an actual Potter Brumfield T70L5D164-24 24 volt 1600 ohm coil, 10 amp contact relay nominally the same as the Kettler and CDE's.

To the left under the CDE's are two Midland 48VDC coil relays. These are probably DPDT but who cares, who has 48 VDC to pull them in?

To the right of the midlands are eight NEC ET1-B3M1S which are 12VDC coil automotive relays. Mouser sells 'em for $3.11 each.

To the right of the NEC's are two small clear PC mount Kuhnke KDPE-48. Google does nothing and as usual with reed relays no other info on the devices themselves.

To the right of those, we have the white cubical NAIS 12V automotive relay and the rectagular black Taiko KX2-24K 24VDC coil form C relay.

On the bottom we have a mysterious (and somewhat mangled) 12VDC DIP reed relay, a row of six CDE CDR752CGQPN-5DS which might match the datasheet which came up behind a paywall but who knows?

And finally at lower right is a bog standard spade pin socket industrial relay with, you guessed it, a 24VDC coil and dubious provenance.

Coming soon, the RCA parts box -- but Ken Burns is about to come on the TV.
    2301 x 2001 - 764K
    2296 x 2109 - 963K
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2017-09-22 03:48
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Nice BBR (Big Box o' Relays)! Hope you can use plenty of those.

I had to pass, knowing I'd never use those ginormous 24V relays. I have enough boxes of electromechanical stuff that's just barely too good to throw out.

Hey Ken, be sure to have a nice big FREEBIE table (room) at the Parallax party next spring!
  • RCA box update: I have completed the tedious process of unbagging most of the components. The RCA part numbers on the part bags are useless and the descriptions almost as useless, being things like "resistor" or "capacitor" or "transistor" with no further specification. Many bags containing one passive component or one transistor or even one surface mount transistor in another smaller ziploc plastic bag. In fact, there were so many of these that I consider the small ziploc bags, which are actually kind of hard to find locally, probably the most useful score of the box. But there are also some relays and high-voltage caps and high-power diodes and transistors with normal part markings on them, so I'll get to sorting them soon.
  • localroger wrote: »
    ... the small ziploc bags, which are actually kind of hard to find locally...

Michael's and Hobby Lobby both carry a pretty good selection (better than the online choices below) of these bags. Not cheap, but they usually have 40%-50% off coupons.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Jewelry/Storage-Organization/Organizers/Medium-Self-Sealing-Plastic-Bags---3"-x-4"/p/122456

• localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2017-09-23 03:11
    Sorted!

RCA-sorted.jpg

I still have some work to do to properly inventory this lot. Important to note if you're considering the RCA box, every single passive component in this picture came in a bag like the ones on the upper right with the gaskets and filters. Including, if you will note, about midway on the left edge the bag of surface mount transistors, each of those transistors came individually in a bag like the one they are now all in, IN TURN in a bag like the gaskets are in. Debagging this lot filled a room trash can a couple of times.

A few things are obvious and immediate gold. The two bags at the top leftmost are thermistors, and the blue ones have legitimate part numbers that can be cross-referenced. 1.8 ohms at 15 watts is pretty obvious. The first blue tower is 8 capacitors 0.43 uF at 630V. The next blue tower is relays, 12 VDC coil SPST 10 amp contact at 120VAC. Check it, the RCA box has more useful relays (if you aren't into 24V circuits) than the relay assortment did. (Pssst I took those to work, where I'm more likely to find a use for them.)

Below the relays we have two big electrolytics (which came in boxes) 680uF at 200V. Below those are a tower of four smaller gray caps 0.041 uF at 400V.

Far across from the grays, at the right edge, are a couple of complex voltage regulators marked STK730-130. These are probably a bit involved to use in a personal project but they go for about ten bucks each on eBay for people who want to repair an RCA TV. Like the 680uF they came in boxes, which I had to open to figure out what they were.

At the lower left is a pile of what I am pretty sure are 2SC4710 power transistors, along with a small assortment of stragglers. The two 8-pin DIP's on static cushions are 24C04 I2C EEPROMs.

The rest of it will have to wait a bit as I bring out the magic component identifier and use the google to figure out what the rest of these things are.
    1843 x 1382 - 440K
  • More part ID's:

The blue thermistors are marked PTC C1205, which searches directly to an EPCOS datasheet. The more plentiful reddish ones are marked 100-021 A1739 which goes nowhere.

The most plentiful SMT transistors are marked 5BP, which appears to make them BC807 general purpose high current, low voltage PNP transistors.

One singleton is marked 3B, which apparently makes it a Taitron BC856B PNP transistor.

Next to the thermistors and below the power resistors are a SMT HDMI connector and a thru-hole 26-pin flexible ribbon socket.

To the right of the SMT transistors are a small pile of 100 uF 25V electrolytic caps. Interestingly, these were not bagged; almost all of them were loose in the box.

To the right of the caps is a pile of power diodes marked RGP 30K. These appear to be 800V 3 amp rating and they go for 38 cents each qty 2000 from DigiKey.

Below the diodes the blue resistors are 185 ohm, and the green ones are 15K. Both are obviously stiff power resistors, probably 2 to 5 watt rating.

The singleton transistor is marked BF420, most likely making it a high voltage NPN. Those in the next bag are marked BC556, making them PNP general purpose amplifiers.

Back to the left, below the three blue 185 ohm resistors are five 4.7uF 50V electrolytics. To their right are 13 0.012uF 250V disc caps. Past them is a singleton 650pF cap; the markings are illegible so I don't know the voltage. Past it are two more slightly larger 650PF caps. Below these are a 1.69 ohm gray power resistor and a pair of small glass diodes.

Then we reach the three IC's. The small SMT one is marked MTI3001T, which pops on Google but only to sites that have datasheets behind paywalls. One of the larger ones is marked STV2040T1, and I still can't figure out what it does but somebody is selling them for $25 each on eBay. The other is marked Mitsubishi M65615SP, and again I can find people trying to sell them to me but not even a basic description of what the thing is.

Below the IC's are 11 0.0047 uF disc caps.

To the right of the IC's and caps are two bags of SMT components which were bagged in strips of five, the upper labeled "diodes" and the lower labeled "resistors." None of the markings go anywhere.

Finally, to the far lower left we have the power transistors. We have a pile of about 13 2SC4710, which are very high voltage (2000 volts!) NPN. We have a single TIP32B, which is a 40W PNP power transistor, a single D05310 which the magic component identifier thinks is a diode, a pair of Darlington 2SD2589's, and finally the supersized BUH417 high voltage high power horizontal deflection transistor.