Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FLiP Try It Kit — Parallax Forums

FLiP Try It Kit

Looks like an interesting start off point, if you want to get involved with the Propeller chip. But the big question is, can you use the Parallax WiFi SIP module with this kit?

At one point I did try to connect my WiFi SIP to the QuickStart board, but did not have any success. Has anybody successfully connected a WiFi SIP to the FLiP module, without having to add too much extra wiring, or doing soldering/de-soldering?

Ray

Comments

• Rsadeika wrote: »
    Looks like an interesting start off point, if you want to get involved with the Propeller chip. But the big question is, can you use the Parallax WiFi SIP module with this kit?

At one point I did try to connect my WiFi SIP to the QuickStart board, but did not have any success. Has anybody successfully connected a WiFi SIP to the FLiP module, without having to add too much extra wiring, or doing soldering/de-soldering?

Ray
    Yes, the WX SIP can be used to program and communicate with the Flip module but you have to configure the loader to use CTS for reset instead of DTR.

• Since I use SimpleIDE 99.99% of the time, I checked to see where in SimpleIDE you would make the CTS/DTR change, I did not find anything. Maybe I did not notice it in SimpleIDE.

Ray
  • Rsadeika wrote: »
    Since I use SimpleIDE 99.99% of the time, I checked to see where in SimpleIDE you would make the CTS/DTR change, I did not find anything. Maybe I did not notice it in SimpleIDE.

Ray
    I'm afraid I don't use SimpleIDE but I would be surprised if it didn't have a way to choose CTS instead of DTR. You can certainly do it in one of the board configuration files if nothing else.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2017-08-13 13:28
    It's under "Tools"->"Properties"->"General"->"Reset Signal".

EDIT: The options are DTR, RTS and CFG. It doesn't seem to have an option for CTS.

EDIT2: I looked at the Prop Tools and it's options are DTR, RTS and DTR & RTS. It doesn't have CTS either.

EDIT3: From what I can tell, the DTE controls DTR and RTS, and the DCE controls CTS.
  • I also looked at PropellerIDE, if anybody is still using it, that does not have the facility either. So, I guess, in theory, you can use the WiFi SIP with the FLiP module, but in reality it is a bust. That's to bad, it looks like it could of been an interesting combination.

Ray
  • Dave Hein wrote: »
    It's under "Tools"->"Properties"->"General"->"Reset Signal".

EDIT: The options are DTR, RTS and CFG. It doesn't seem to have an option for CTS.

EDIT2: I looked at the Prop Tools and it's options are DTR, RTS and DTR & RTS. It doesn't have CTS either.

EDIT3: From what I can tell, the DTE controls DTR and RTS, and the DCE controls CTS.
    I guess it's possible that Parallax hasn't released the update yet. They seem to be very busy with their education efforts. I'll check.
  • Should be RTS not CTS, right? You are referring to the line that resets the Propeller which would be driven by the DTE (WiFi module), not the DCE (Propeller)

My PropBSC module used the FT230X which doesn't have DTR, so the Prop Tool has to be set to DTR&RTS so it works. Unfortunately, you can't do the same with Blockly, so I can't use Blockly with my module.
  • Should be RTS not CTS, right? You are referring to the line that resets the Propeller which would be driven by the DTE (WiFi module), not the DCE (Propeller)

My PropBSC module used the FT230X which doesn't have DTR, so the Prop Tool has to be set to DTR&RTS so it works. Unfortunately, you can't do the same with Blockly, so I can't use Blockly with my module.
    Unfortunately, it can't be RTS. It has to be CTS for the ESP8266 because the RTS pin is also one of the boot configuration pins.

• Ahh, that's right. Finally something "wrong" with the ESP8266, LOL
  • However, proploader allows you to select RTS for serial downloads, just not for wireless downloads.
  • avsa242avsa242 Posts: 426
    edited 2018-04-22 00:56
    I was building up a breadboard with a socket for a FLiP and a SIP WX module today and I'm sure others have discovered or knew this already, but it can be programmed wirelessly without software changes; pin 18 (one of the THs in the unused DIP header location) of the SIP module is DTR and just has to be tied to the reset pin of the FLiP/Prop. It may not be ideal looking to have a wire hanging down but is probably fine for prototyping.
    (It may look like the two red wires in the pic are one and the same - they aren't...one is Vdd and the other, "bodgy" looking one hanging down is the one I refer to above)

Cheers,
    Jesse

Edit: By 'software changes' above, I mean changing which handshaking lines are used to signal the Prop reset.
    3891 x 2616 - 981K