Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wisconsin company offers to Install microchips in employee's — Parallax Forums

Wisconsin company offers to Install microchips in employee's

MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
edited 2017-08-01 23:28 in General Discussion
A Wisconsin company's plan to become the first in the nation to implant employees with microchips has observers wondering whether the invasive procedure is getting too close for comfort.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/wisconsin-company-three-square-market-offers-install-microchips-employees-n786266

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2017-08-02 02:56
    Pretty cool, but only if that company's CEO offers bigger raises and free food to all the employees who agree to get chipped. They're human guinea pigs, after all! BTW that image shows something larger than the "grain of rice" claimed.
  • Not me, I'm against tattoos that advertise someone else's product. Likewise with the chip, I wasn't put on this earth to be owned or manipulated by some half-baked idea, and from a CEO of an insignificant company that could be gone tomorrow.

Maybe this should be used in highly classified situations, where lives depend on accurate ID. But just to get a job at McD's and have my lunch taken out of an account?

It's offered now, but when will it become mandatory to have a job?
    They're free and optional for now, but eventually mandatory the price will be a surprisingly affordable $6.66. Beats the devil out of me how they can do it so cheap.
  • erco +1 !!
  • As far as I know there are already clubs and other places using implants. Some of the rich or famous people are doing this since years, because it is cool to not to have to wave your CC, I guess.

Personally I would not like to do that. Not because of medicinal reasons, just because I think it is completely wrong.

Mike

• so then I build a reader into my watch and when I shake your hand I can also get your data
  • jdolecki wrote: »
    so then I build a reader into my watch and when I shake your hand I can also get your data

One hopes that there's a decent challenge and response protocol that doesn't allow that. But who knows? Worse would be you cutting off my hand to get the chip. Does it monitor my vitals?
  • KeithE wrote: »
    jdolecki wrote: »
    so then I build a reader into my watch and when I shake your hand I can also get your data

One hopes that there's a decent challenge and response protocol that doesn't allow that. But who knows? Worse would be you cutting off my hand to get the chip. Does it monitor my vitals?
    +1
    Jim
    ~20 years ago I had a Mobil speedpass. A little RFID gizmo you stuck to your car window that has all your CC info stored in it. Drive up to the pump, it lit up and you just pump your gas & go. Cool & convenient. I think modern hackers would figure that out in about a minute today.

Edit: Hackers cracked it in 2005: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedpass
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2017-08-06 09:43
    Isn't that the same item that we have been putting in our pets (dogs and cats) for decades? If so, I didn't see any side effects in our dog in 18 years, and he lived beyond his expected life.

If it was a single item that I could use for all my stuff - credit cards, public transport, medical, home door locks, etc - then I might seriously consider getting one. But for work only, no! I don't want one for every thing. Finally I am just reducing the number of cards that I need to carry in my wallet - can used scanned cards in my phone :)
  • Just keep in mind that the microchips installed into pets are not secure. That's because you want everyone to be able to read them. Besides treating some sort of adverse reaction to the chip, the only motivation that I can see for wanting to remove one is if someone stole an animal and didn't want it subsequently identified via microchip.

Would most humans want a UID/GUID implanted that anyone could read?

For banking, door locks, etcetera do you really want something implanted? Ultimately these work by some form of secret. If the system gets hacked then you might need yet another implant. And how would the system work? Could anyone with a scanner activate it? Square allows people to get low cost EMV readers, so if this implant became popular then I expect it would be cheap to acquire a scanner. Is there the potential for having to deal with a lot of fraudulent charges?