Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
what is on the other side of the globe? — Parallax Forums

what is on the other side of the globe?

not really about computers, but some might enjoy it.

A map showing what's exacly on the opposite side of he planet.
https://antipodesmap.com/#antipodes-map
antipodes.png

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Just sharks and ocean opposite Los Angeles. It's hardly worth digging!
  • Missed the west coast of Australia by that much, shark bait like erco.
  • South Pacific for me. Too far out to surf. :crazy:
  • I see that somewhere in Cambodia is opposite of Machu Picchu. Did anyone ever come across the book "How to Build a Flying Saucer: And Other Proposals in Speculative Engineerings"? I vaguely recall a discussion of an ancient method of planet-wide communication discussed there, which depended on nodal points (or something like that). I don't see any Cambodian temples on the map in that area, but that's obviously just the government keeping it a secret. :D
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Seairth,

Glad you opened it up a little:)

My understanding is that Tesla (at Wardenclyffe Tower) was going to transmit RF through tubes buried in the ground... and then convert it back into electricity down the road... whereas in Colorado Springs he was just pumping RF into the ground hoping that the EPA wouldn't notice.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    From most interesting places in the world there is nothing but ocean on the other side. Interesting. I guess given the ratio of land to sea surface on the Earth that is inevitable.
  • Heater,

So true! St. Petersburg, Fl tunnels out about 1000 km west of Australia. I think I see that missing Malaysian Air flight....
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    From Sydney I get to the ocean.

My daughter lives in London and she lands in the ocean southeast of NZ.
    It's interesting to see how much further to the poles London is compared to Sydney, Tasmania, and NZ. No wonder there weather is so much colder. We have been having similar temps over the past couple of weeks, but they are in the height of summer while we are in the middle of winter :)
  • Saw this tool years ago. Pretty much the whole continental US maps to the middle of the Indian Ocean. And yes, with less than 30% of the Earth's surface being land, most places will map to water. It is the relatively unusual exceptions that are interesting.
  • localroger wrote: »
    It is the relatively unusual exceptions that are interesting.

Like Perth (AU) and Bermuda?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Jees, if the Earth had just a bit more water we would all be fish.

Assuming life can get kick started in the salty water of the sea.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    It's all about managing dry land.