Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stepper Motor Organ... Not What I Expected — Parallax Forums

Stepper Motor Organ... Not What I Expected

A very creative project implementation. Mechanically backdriving 49 steppers to generate musical notes. :)

Visit the Youtube page and read the description.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-07-08 23:50
    Give me a Hammond organ that is as complex, but sounds much better. :)

Wait, I already have one!

• Some people have way too much time on their hands...LOL
  • tritoniumtritonium Posts: 539
    edited 2017-07-09 20:40
    deleted- I seem to have trouble placing photos or u-tube stuff
  • If he had spent that time rebuilding a real Hammond tone wheel organ, he would really have something to show for his effort.
  • I'm in agreement with the other posters in this thread. All that work for that horrible sound. I don't see this being played much in the future. Maybe he can make some improvements and salvage some of the apparatus?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Yeah, I don't get it either.

A lot of work for very little effect.

I have heard Bach and Metallica played on an array of floppy drive steppers that sounds better.

On the other hand... I should be the last to criticize anyone for wasting time on "useless" endeavors. I'm glad that there are people who do that. That is how civilization got to where it is today.
  • It has a bit in common with the "glass organ"... and then came that ugly sound... :-(

Here it is ... for fixing broken ears:

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I think I preferred the Mouse Organ:

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2017-07-11 13:25
    Guys, it's obviously an art student project and was a labor of love for student. I work with kids like this all the time so I've learned to be as appreciative of the passion that goes into making it as the final result. This related video shows a slightly more functional instrument. Another labor of love.

• Wow that drum would have to be hollow, and made from stacked and glued rings. It would be easy to balance that way, and be plenty of weight to spin. An awful lot of work for little return. As erco said; a labor of love.

And what else do you do with four dozen stepper motors?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    This player piano/3 violin is pretty wild too. I might need several BS1s to dupe that.

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2017-08-21 22:13
    I agree ... the results don't merit the time. The concept could have been demonstrated with something simpler -- a funky two-string hurdy gurdy, or something.

(For Erco or anyone in SoCal)...

This thread reminded me I have one of these (or a model very similar of the same vintage) that I'm about to give to Goodwill. It needs all-new electrics, and likely some TLC to the pump and bellows sections. Nice project for dad/mom and kids. My model has an electric pump, rather than the foot pump. The insulation on the wiring disappeared when Ford was in office (he had nothing to do with the disappearance; just noting the time frame).

http://www.caseyabrams.com/roadside-attractions-blog/2012/10/1/estey-wwii-chaplains-field-organ.html

These small portable reed organs were used in schools, churches, or old-fashioned roller rinks. Free to anyone in the North San Diego county area. PM me if interested; if no bites, I'll haul it to the local GW or DAV.