Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What's cooking in Rocklin? (Weather related) — Parallax Forums

What's cooking in Rocklin? (Weather related)

Just a thread to express sympathy for those up in Rocklin. It's hot in the SF bay area this week, but not nearly as bad in the Silicon Valley as it will be in Rocklin.

They hold a lot of softball tournaments up in Roseville during the summer, and it seems like some kind of torture to me. Especially if there's artificial turf.

Comments

• Yeah, we had a good winter finally to nearly end the drought, but now it seems that summer is coming a little early and going to dry up any bit of water we were able to enjoy. This week is not going to be fun. The funny thing is, we still have snow just up the hill about an hour away.
  • It is 88 F at 10am in Cool (just up the hill from Rocklin). Expect 100 F this afternoon.
  • All that heat rising over Rocklin pulls in a cool breeze from over the ocean , cool and fog-free enough yesterday for a 9 mile hike out to the end of Tomales Point and back, a sea of yellow lupine, the elk herd, the sea itself, cormorants, pelicans. That's the contrast of California. Fans at the Oakland A's game yesterday streamed out long before the fat lady sang, too much heat, even to sit and watch.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    OUCH. That's Vegas hot! We've got it cooler than that down here in SoCal. No wonder Ken's son is going to college down here. :)
  • I just saw on the news that Needles CA is supposed to hit 127F tomorrow! Schulz spent some time there as a child, so that's why Snoopy's brother Spike is from Needles.
  • We will soon be having lots of extra rain down here on the Gulf Coast, could we send you some?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Aw c'mon guys you must be exaggerating those temperatures. It can't get that hot, there's no such thing as global warming. Donald says so.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    Aw c'mon guys you must be exaggerating those temperatures. It can't get that hot, there's no such thing as global warming. Donald says so.

Everything is wonderful because he says so. You must be made to think mid 70's and a slight breeze.
    Lately there has been to much hot air, especially when it carries the aroma of a landfill with it.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    It was overcast and actually on the cool side most of today.

Nanner nanner, global warming.
  • I had no idea how hot it got in Rocklin until I went to a Propeller Expo in June. After the Expo I went to Sacramento and rode the train. My feet cooked in black shoes. I went to a restaurant and ordered two glasses of water and a beer.

John Abshier
  • Record setting temps in Phoenix, and the jet stream will end up bringing it this way.
    "There's no reprieve": Temperature in Phoenix shoots toward 120 http://www.cbsnews.com/news/heat-wave-southwest-temperature-record-phoenix/
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,751
    edited 2017-06-21 15:19
    116 on the patio yesterday due to be hotter today. When you open the car door, you let bit of the hot air out first. Oven gloves are standard driving aparel.
    Jim
  • Only going to be 106 today. Sad that I can use the word "only". Back to double digits on Sunday which can't get here soon enough. The worst thing is that my electronics workbench is in the garage, so work is on hold in the evenings, which happens to be my only free time in the next few weeks.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    34C in London today! That's about 97F IIRC.

Cluso99 wrote: »
    34C in London today! That's about 97F IIRC.

Closer to 93, but that's still pretty hot for London.
  • KeithE wrote: »
    I just saw on the news that Needles CA is supposed to hit 127F tomorrow! Schulz spent some time there as a child, so that's why Snoopy's brother Spike is from Needles.

Yep, and when I transferred from Dam Neck, Va to San Diego for instructor school, I spent the better part of a summer day with a failed clutch between Needles and Barstow, Ca. With a Hobie 16' in tow. Luckily the AAA guy that towed me went all the way to Barstow with some mileage trickery for his billing. Worked for me. At the time (1983), tow trucks were refusing to go out after dark due to accidents with semi's on highways. So, 127f? Yep, hell's foyer for sure, and Phoenix is the doorstep at 117f !

• I met a young man from Rocklin in Sunnyvale at a softball tournament today. I think that he was surprised that I knew the name. He was not a fan of the weather up there - the word "hate" may have been uttered. Anyways we're back to much more reasonable temperatures - it was actually pretty cold last night up in Sunnyvale due to the wind chill.
    I met a young man from Rocklin...

Ack! You had me looking forward to a naughty limerick. I feel cheated!
    KeithE wrote: »

+1

It's missing a syllable, even for the first line.
  • I met a young man (cough) from Rocklin
    Who in every meeting was coughing
    He hooked Basic Stamps
    Up to big guitar amps
    And then wondered why they'd be smokin.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    @localrodger - You are obviously talented in many areas!

Nice!
  • There once was a man named Lachlan,
    Who learned to program in Rocklin.
    He then hacked a Prop,
    By entering a NOP
    in a loop that kept it from workin'.

Ugh. That's really bad. 'Sorry ... :)
    -Phil