Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HexaBox — Parallax Forums

HexaBox

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2017-06-23 14:11 in Robotics
Girl makes a 6-servo walking cardboard box. Interesting gait.

Comments

• I like how she used ordinary parts to make her robot.

I remember seeing Russell Cameron's (aka Oddbot) Chopsticks bot and being intrigued that such a cool robot would be made with simple parts.

Rather than chopsticks, I decided to make my robot out of Popsicle sticks.

It didn't turn out as well as Oddbot's bot but I still thought it was fun to see a bunch of Popsicle sticks kind of walking.

The the bot made from a box, my bot couldn't support the weight of the batteries.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Beautimous Duane! I'm a huge fan of both of those ultra-DIY walkers, bonus points for commonly available parts. As your video shows, the battery weight is not trivial. And obviously you need a lot of current to drive a lot of servos. And fine, precision control for smooth motion.

Makes me really respect this guy's 9-servo bipedal walker. Very smooth & graceful. http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?27524-9g-Tai-Chi-Stepper&p=283925&viewfull=1#post283925

• erco wrote: »
    Makes me really respect this guy's 9-servo bipedal walker. Very smooth & graceful.

Agreed, beautiful!

I hadn't seen that one before. Thanks.

• Was that, a daughter board? :)

The mini-maker faire had cardboard combat bots. I never gave it a thought until they trashed each other, and were easily repaired or rebuilt. Makes a lot of sense now...