Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A sad day: RIP 'Shack - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

A sad day: RIP 'Shack

124»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Another fun fact: the one surviving store out here isn't allowed to match the 30-60% discounts available at closing stores. Seems like one final "shoot yourself in the foot" policy by corporate.
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2017-04-10 09:22
    We will have to change our hobby from "electronics" to "leather craft" ???

I think the 3 remaining Radio Shack's in my area, are all closing. :frown:

But, while I was out today today, I passed a "Tandy Leather" store that I never noticed before.

I think "Tandy Leather" should expand their inventory, and change their name to "Tandy Leather & Electronics" :D

From their website:

Tandy .... offers:

* Order processing from over 100 company-owned locations in the USA, Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain and Australia
    * Service to hobbyists, wholesale businesses, professional .... workers, manufacturers, institutions and youth organizations
    * Wholesale and quantity pricing
    * Products from the finest names in the .... industry .....
    * In-store classes and workshops
    * Secure online ordering, phone orders and mail orders
    * International shipping
    * Shop with confidence-unconditional money back guarantee

For more information on the "Tandy" and "Radio Shack" connection / history please see these links:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Corporation#Acquisition_of_Merribee_and_RadioShack
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RadioShack#Tandy_Corporation
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2017-04-10 12:03
    I just found out this weekend the last Radio Shack in my area is closing. It wasn't even on a current list of closings I found on a website. Now the closest electronics store to me is MicroCenter which is a 90 minute drive away.
  • Actually, yep. We have someone show up at the hospital once a month and sets up near the gift shop and does nothing but key and watch batteries. Probably hits all the hospitals in the county. I'm guessing he makes out pretty well.
    I needed pink LEDs today and by golly, my local Radio shack had them. Store's def getting emptier. Robots were half off so I bought their last mBot kit for $40 and leg kit for $12.50.

Their signs say up to 80% off now, and the sole clerk said the store will be gone in 2 weeks.

At least I can say that my last mission to the shack was a success.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2017-04-12 08:22
    Pink LEDs? There are pink LEDs? Off to ebay to add to my hoard.. (you never know when you will need something.)
    Edit: ebay only listed those silly neon glow strips. Must refine my search.
  • Visiting a store today I found out that this store won't be coming back.

I updated my breadboard and WW [wire wrapping wire] collection.

Incidentally erco why are all of your robots travelling by city bus?
  • I stocked up on a couple of PCB boards that I use frequently

8 X https://www.radioshack.com/products/general-purpose-ic-pc-board

7 X https://www.radioshack.com/products/multipurpose-pc-board

ordered online and got free shipping
  • Aargh!!
    After 14.5 years with the brand, I found out last night that my job (and bene's) come to an end on April 28. Will have to decide among other things what my new user name will be here on these forums.
    Jim
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-04-21 13:53
    Sorry to hear that Jim. :(

Just change the meaning to "Real Sexy". :)
  • Publison wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Jim. :(

Just change the meaning to "Real Sexy". :)
    lol

• I could just add an X in front.
    XRS_Jim
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2017-04-21 14:28
    RS_Jim,

Let's keep it simple. Instead of changing your forum name just get yourself a job at Radio Spares, a.k.a rs-components, a.k.a Allied in the USA.

http://www.rs-components.com/index.html
    http://www.alliedelec.com/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS_Components

I don't know if they have walk in stores in the USA but they have one in Helsinki which is great.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Judging by the posts here Radio Shack should close down more often. They have never done so much business!

:)

• MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-04-21 14:40
    RS_Jim wrote: »
    I could just add an X in front.
    XRS_Jim

Sorry to hear about your job Jim. Hope you have lots of options.

RMS
    RST
    RSS
    TRS
    RSV
    RSVP

I'm wondering if anything with RS on it, will increase in value after all this settles out.
  • RS_Jim wrote: »
    Aargh!!
    After 14.5 years with the brand, I found out last night that my job (and bene's) come to an end on April 28. Will have to decide among other things what my new user name will be here on these forums.
    Jim

Jim,
    Really sorry about your job - I hope you are able to find another one soon.

Many years ago I developed a Home Inventory system using VB6 and MS Access relational database.

I checked my Radio Shack summary total - over $3000 (217 products) which doesn't include every purchase or things I bought and got rid of...

A lot of hours roaming around the store and in the parts bin...

• Sorry as well.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2017-04-24 05:53
    Hanging out on this site probably makes you over qualified to go to Frys though. Hopefully you have some good leads by now. Good luck and good hunting!! As ti MikeDYur's list, RST sounds to much like reset.
  • Hanging out on this site probably makes you over qualified to go to Frys though. Hopefully you have some good leads by now. Good luck and good hunting!! As ti MikeDYur's list, RST sounds to much like reset.
    Lol, probably over qualified for bestbuy as well!
    Jim

Jim, are you Vegas or Arizona, I fergit...
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,751
    edited 2017-04-26 14:35
    Just north of Phoenix,Az
    Jim
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2017-04-25 14:27
    My aunt lived Phoenix for over fifty years, I visited her once in the early 80s. I love the close proximity to the mountains.

BTW: My maternal grand parents sold their house in Akron OH to my mom and dad, and moved to AZ in the 50s. It only lasted a couple of years, they couldn't take the heat.
    OK, I only remembered hot desert. If you were near Vegas I was going to suggest Pololu. It's no Parallax but those guys seem to have a lot of fun there.
  • Vegas would be about a 5 to 5 1/2 hour commute! I think I will pass.
    Jim
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,751
    edited 2017-04-28 13:52
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    My aunt lived Phoenix for over fifty years, I visited her once in the early 80s. I love the close proximity to the mountains.

BTW: My maternal grand parents sold their house in Akron OH to my mom and dad, and moved to AZ in the 50s. It only lasted a couple of years, they couldn't take the heat.
    Mike, the world of air conditioning has evolved much since your Grandparents lived here! We came through here in the later 50's and I remember driving to Ca early in the AM (2) to cross the desert before the heat began to build.
    Jim

Of course, higher altitudes like Prescott AZ don't suffer from heat like the rest of the state. It's quite nice there.
  • A good day at the RIP shack I just cleaned out all of their components for a $1 each. Switches, relays, XLR jacks, indicators, fuse holders etc. 200+ items.
  • Just cleaned out my 'shack which was supposed to stay open, but had a STORE CLOSING banner up today. $1 on all bin stuff, which in a lot of cases isn't a bargain but got some assortments of switches, relays, and 3/16 audio stuff which I've found easier to cram into the ESP8266 wall sockets I bought earlier. Also all the stuff I might need for SMT soldering, spare tips for all my soldering irons, fine solder and rosin. And EL wire and inverters. Could have got more of the EL stuff but I'm still not sure what to do with it, just that it was cheap on the dollar even at discount Internet prices so whatever. $75 for probably $600 RS retail, $300 online retail with careful shopping, and I'll use at least half of it.
  • Just cleaned out my 'shack which was supposed to stay open, but had a STORE CLOSING banner up today. $1 on all bin stuff, which in a lot of cases isn't a bargain but got some assortments of switches, relays, and 3/16 audio stuff which I've found easier to cram into the ESP8266 wall sockets I bought earlier. Also all the stuff I might need for SMT soldering, spare tips for all my soldering irons, fine solder and rosin. And EL wire and inverters. Could have got more of the EL stuff but I'm still not sure what to do with it, just that it was cheap on the dollar even at discount Internet prices so whatever. $75 for probably $600 RS retail, $300 online retail with careful shopping, and I'll use at least half of it.