Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Drive Over this Robot and It Keeps on Going — Parallax Forums

Drive Over this Robot and It Keeps on Going

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2017-04-17 02:15 in Robotics
Edison is another overpromising educational/GUI/Lego robot. $35 on Amazon, cheap enough. But the inventor does look a bit like an inmate in his orange suit... No real competition for S3, other than you can drive your car over it and it still works (see 1:35). Kids, don't try that at home! Fun & wacky video, they easily overfunded on their Kickstarter campaign.

Comments

• erco wrote: »
    (see 1:35)

I call BS on 1:35
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2017-04-17 14:21
    The_Master wrote: »
    erco wrote: »
    (see 1:35)

I call BS on 1:35
    Ever step on a Lego? ABS in compression can take some pretty high loads.

You don't see the size of the car, nor the condition of the wheels afterwards. Once the robot's wheels are compressed the load of a small car would be distributed across the entire frame of the robot. A small car like a Smart Car would put about four hundred pounds on it. I think ABS could handle that.

But I would guess that the axles and wheels were pretty messed up afterwards. It might have driven a few feet and that's it.
  • It does seem clever. Reviews on Amazon are a little mixed, and the consensus is that you really want v2. The seller says that those are v2, so hopefully that's the case. Note that they say that you can program these in python as well as with that graphical environment. I wonder how you program machines which use more than one robot?

erco - did you get one?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Mr. Roboto is getting one to evaluate. There is no risk that his Corvair will run over it any time soon.
  • I like the idea of programming via headphone jack though.
  • What do you suppose the margins are on something like that?
  • I like the idea of programming via headphone jack though.

That is cool. Almost as cool as programming your watch with your monitor : )

datalink.jpg?w=500&h=294

• xanadu wrote: »
    What do you suppose the margins are on something like that?

The 1135 backers pledged for a total of 2,806 units which put the $20k target at 5 fold. Usually, these types of "overfunded" Kickstarters get ugly by creating unexpected challenges for the developers that were only prepared for their original goal.

However, these were built in China and ran through a fulfillment house in Hong Kong by MicroBric, whom already has relationships with manufacturers, other robot platforms under their belt, and similar software using light transmission programming already developed, etc. In other words, this isn't a new game for them. Factoring that along with the simplistic board and low cost for plastics, I could easily see a cost of around $20 each at that quantity (including software development).

In any case, I am sure that at least $30k of the Kickstarter funds went into their pockets. If it was a startup company, I would say maybe $10k would go into their pockets since you would have more challenges, overseas relationships to establish, greater software development costs, etc.

So, I would call this Kickstarter a definite success. Essentially, Microbric had their development costs covered upfront, they delivered to their customers, and they walked away with cash and a product still on the market.
  • Thanks, and yes very successful. When I see these types of campaigns I have to wonder why I don't have one yet.

I guess I'm not a robopreneur?
    xanadu wrote: »

I still have one of those Timex Ironman Datalink watches I ran MANY miles with it. Those worked great with CRT monitors, less so with LCD types.

• erco wrote: »
    xanadu wrote: »
    I still have one of those Timex Ironman Datalink watches I ran MANY miles with it. Those worked great with CRT monitors, less so with LCD types.

That's awesome. I wasn't able to get the CRT programming software installed on Win 10. The software that uses the LED will install but doesn't support screen programming. May have to boot up a Win98 VM.

Got my Edison today. Tiny and works well. Might need two to sumo, based on this video.

This bot has a few novel features. The programming cable isn't USB, it goes from the computer/tablet audio jack to an LED, which is read by the line-following phototransistors. Same phototransistors read barcodes to select between canned routines. Also, you can drive using any IR remote, any buttons. It works like a learning remote, reading and storing whatever button code you like.

https://meetedison.com/content/EdBook1-Your-EdVenture-into-Robotics-Your're-a-Controller.pdf?x20535
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2017-04-24 21:21
    Well then, it's essentially the same style as the Timex watch programmer. Very cool.
    Edison/Contempo price jumped from $35 to $47 now. Maybe I'm "that guy" who ruined it for everyone. Sorry folks, stick with the S3!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HSFMK6G