Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Heater Go America. Part II. — Parallax Forums

Heater Go America. Part II.

Against all odds once again Heater will be landing in Oakland tomorrow for a second US tour of duty.

Once again a mad rush to install the impossible. Hardware is not ready, software is not ready, people are not ready....

But, hey, the boss says it must be so, so it will be so.

Just now I'm sick as a dog with the flu. So I hope I can even move tomorrow morning.

If anyone knows some interesting happenings in and around San Jose in the next few weeks that would be great.

Comments

• Heater,

'Hope you're feeling better for your trip!

I know the drill about stuff not being ready for installation. Back when I was doing fruit-sizing/sorting equipment, I was forced to show up at a jobsite with half-baked software. I had to buy a card table for my motel room, so that I could write a realtime operating system on the fly.

Fun times -- not! -- but remunerative. I probably aged more in my thirties than I have since then.

-Phil
  • Please reschedule your visit.

What flight are you on?

If you like I will talk to your boss on behalf of the CDC.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2017-04-22 21:33
    Heater. wrote: »
    Against all odds once again Heater will be landing in Oakland tomorrow for a second US tour of duty.

Once again a mad rush to install the impossible. Hardware is not ready, software is not ready, people are not ready....

Just now I'm sick as a dog with the flu. So I hope I can even move tomorrow morning.

If anyone knows some interesting happenings in and around San Jose in the next few weeks that would be great.

Long time away from home, not sure what is there anymore. But if you have your own rental, find the hwy 17 and head over the hill to Santa Cruz and the beach (stick your feet in the very cold Pacific ocean). Used to be about 45 minutes. Not sure now, but was a great ride. If you have time, go from Santa Cruz north on the coast highway (1) and run up to just south of San Francisco and return to SJ via the 280. Or head south to Monterey. Hope you have a good sweater with you, It does get rather cool still.

Have Fun,

Frank

• Have a good trip but, Please don't bring us the Helsinki flu.
  • Good luck with your venture and hope you feel better soon, Heater. Been there myself on all counts. Maybe while you're here you can snag one of our cheap 4K TV sets and have it shipped home.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Heater. wrote: »

Don't let the MAN tell you what to do!

BTW, you're not flying on United, by any chance...? People can barely survive the boarding process, much less a transatlantic flight.

• I second the recommendation of Santa Cruz -- and on down the cost to Capitola and the Monterey peninsula (yes, pay to do the 17-mile drive: it's worth it), if you have the time. Back when a business partner and I were doing trade shows, we did one in Santa Clara (gawdawful place). Our escape every evening was Santa Cruz and points south.

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Big Sur is ~26 miles South of Monterey. Highway 1 takes you there, a magical twisting, serpentine road high above the Pacific. One of the finest bike rides you can ever do. Also nice in a car!
  • erco wrote: »
    Big Sur is ~26 miles South of Monterey. Highway 1 takes you there, a magical twisting, serpentine road high above the Pacific. One of the finest bike rides you can ever do. Also nice in a car!

There's a little access problem due to some of the winter storms. Maybe in the fall...

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/28/big-sur-bridge-set-to-open-jan-1-connecting-broken-link-along-highway-1/
  • Funny coincidence... I am sitting in a restaurant on Highway 1 at 92 at this moment! Waiting for seafood to arrive.

As for work-related stuff, there is an IOT World conference in the area in a few weeks.
  • You'll probably be a bit late for RoboGames: robogames.net/index.php

dgately
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Oh No!

Last time heater became a windoze user. What's next ???
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Oh No!

No worries. Nothing could possibly happen that would be as bad or worse than that ;-)
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2017-04-24 03:06
    Oh No!

kwinn wrote: »
    No worries. Nothing could possibly happen that would be as bad or worse than that ;-)

Job Interview in Redmond?

Mike
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    msrobots wrote: »
    Oh No!

kwinn wrote: »

Job Interview in Redmond?

Mike

LOL, I stand corrected.
  • Heater just missed a Silicon Valley Forth Interest Group meeting. If the trip gets delayed he could hit up the Maker Faire and/or the Electronics Flea Market.
  • So is Heater still in the USA?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I'm currently holed up in an apartment in Mountain View. Looks like it might be an extended visit.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to look them over when I have a moment. It's been a terrible rush and panic so far...

The Flea Market sounds great. When, where exactly?

The IoT conference might even be on the cards.
  • http://www.electronicsfleamarket.com - next one isn't until May 13th. It's at DeAnza college in Cupertino which is very close to Mountain View.

Come to think of it, the local hams typically have lunch every Wednesday at http://frankiejohnnieluigitoo.com which is on El Camino Real in Mountain View. I've never been there, but they have a talknet where it's typically mentioned.

Roughly where is your apartment?
    edited 2017-04-30 05:35
    A few minutes walk behind the St Stephens Green Irish pub.

Which is the kind of convenience I like :)

On Coldarnon Ave. or whatever it is called.

• KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2017-04-30 16:56
    Oh - that's pretty convenient. Plenty of restaurants to check out. And quite close to the ham lunch if you wanted to check that out on Weds.

Have you ever checked out the Stanford campus? That's pretty easy to get to from where you are. You could even watch a free softball game there today, and parking is free on Sundays. It's a large campus.

http://www.gostanford.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball

Also there's the Cantor Arts center (free):

https://museum.stanford.edu

And the bookstore (from what I remember there's a decent selection of technical books):

http://www.bkstr.com/stanfordstore/home

I've been booked up with my daughter's softball events... (NOT a Stanford student ;-)
    Ah Keith, yes, we swung by the Stanford campus the other day. I was hoping to see Leonard Susskind strolling around some place...

We plan on getting ourselves a bit of Stanford education whilst we are here. They have a ton of open lectures and events going on: https://events.stanford.edu/

There is an interesting talk on autonomous vehicles coming up. A multipart lecture series on cosmology and black holes. And something about the the history of photovoltaics.

Cantor and the bookstore sounds like a must.

Thanks.
  • Hmm - maybe you can figure out where Knuth lives. Unfortunately he doesn't list any public events at Stanford in the immediate future:

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/news.html

That's a nice list of events you found. I know that SVFIG meets somewhere at Stanford, but have never gone. They are doing something at Maker Faire which actually doesn't necessarily involve Forth ;-)
    Is Parallax having a presence at the Bay Area Maker Fair this year?

As I'm here I thought I should check it out.