Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ADALM2000 a USB 12bit ADCs/DACs 100 MSPS 2-channels comming soon for $99 — Parallax Forums

ADALM2000 a USB 12bit ADCs/DACs 100 MSPS 2-channels comming soon for $99

tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
edited 2017-04-11 22:16 in General Discussion
looks like a good item.
Is it USB3.0 that let you stream a lot of data to a PC harddrive?
Is it digitally isolated from usb port, incase I touch 115V by mistake with it? any risk to fry a expensive pc's motherboard?

Two-channel oscilloscope with differential inputs
Two-channel arbitrary function generator
16-channel digital logic analyzer (3.3V CMOS and 1.8V or 5V tolerant, 100MS/s)
16-channel pattern generator (3.3V CMOS, 100MS/s)
16-channel virtual digital I/O
Two input/output digital trigger signals for linking multiple instruments (3.3V CMOS)
Two-channel voltmeter (AC, DC, ±20V)
Network analyzer – Bode, Nyquist, Nichols transfer diagrams of a circuit. Range: 1Hz to 10MHz
Spectrum Analyzer – power spectrum and spectral measurements (noise floor, SFDR, SNR, THD, etc.)
Digital Bus Analyzers (SPI, I²C, UART, Parallel)
Two programmable power supplies (0…+5V , 0…-5V)
Write custom software or HDL (for the FPGA) that run directly on the ADALM2000 device.
Analog Devices’ ‘Scopy’ software package. (Windows/Linux)

https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/m2k
http://www.analog.com/en/about-adi/news-room/press-releases/2017/3-17-17-analog-devices-new-active-learning-modules-focus-on-improving-analog-radio-frequency.html

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    tonyp12 wrote: »
    looks like a good item.
    Is it USB3.0 that let you stream a lot of data to a PC harddrive?
    Is it digitally isolated from usb port, incase I touch 115V by mistake with it? any risk to fry a expensive pc's motherboard?

nice find,
    There are links here
    https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/adalm2000/users

for

Introduction to the Hardware
    What's with the name? ADALM2000?
    Understanding the Internals

but not yet active (page tagged This version (11 Apr 2017 21:58) )

Maybe WiFi is a better way to isolate these days ?

• I'm looking forward to this also! However all I could do is to order from their main Analog Devices site and no other information is disclose as of this time.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    That's fantastic. Especially since "scopy" is an open source cross-platform tool. Looks suspiciously like it's written using Electron, which is great.

I think I know what my birthday present to my self is this year!

As for isolation using WIFI. That would certainly do it. But you need power from somewhere. As it happens AD has USB isolator chips that provide signal isolation up to 2.5Kv (Using on chip transforms no less). All it needs is a little power isolation module.
  • Anyone have a guess as to how a standard Oscilloscope Probe would hook up to this device? It looks like it only haas the pin header port.

Thanks,
    Marcus
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2017-04-17 19:25
    Looks like pin headers are the only option.

No Coax.
  • I order one last week from Analog, as I take it will be faster than digikey/mouser, though they show available soon too.
    It says shipped from Singapore, though my ground ship option probably be by air I hope.

I have not heard anything from Analog when I could expect it.
    I will open it up and make a breakdown of what you get for $99, I hope the parts alone cost nearly that and this is a no-profit part for Analog to get people interested/learning.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Looking forward to your report.

Seems like a reasonable price. Parts, plus board, plus software development, plus documentation, etc. I know it's a sales pitch for AD but still. Being AD I don't expect it to be bad.

Question is, does it fit what I might want to do with such a thing.

• John A. ZoidbergJohn A. Zoidberg Posts: 514
    edited 2017-04-18 01:22
    I order one last week from Analog, as I take it will be faster than digikey/mouser, though they show available soon too.
    It says shipped from Singapore, though my ground ship option probably be by air I hope.

I have not heard anything from Analog when I could expect it.
    I will open it up and make a breakdown of what you get for $99, I hope the parts alone cost nearly that and this is a no-profit part for Analog to get people interested/learning.

Are they in stock? If these are being stocked in Singapore, I believed it should be faster since I live in the place beside Singapore.

So far when I tried checking out all it said was "Backorder".

Edit: I found another similar one which is the Digilent's Analog Discovery 2, but it's more expensive.
  • Kind of reminds me of that NI MyDaq just a lot cheaper in price. Most of my Analog IC's ship from the Philippines but this is a different device.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2017-04-18 03:44
    It looks to me very much like the Analog Discovery. The linked document is very thorough about what's inside. No wonder they are similar. They are both at their root Analog Devices products and engineering, co-developed with Digilent. I wonder too, what is going on with Analog Devices, coming out with a competitor at lower cost.

Analog Discovery has been around for several years. At $280, you'd expect it to be well along, but its original version 1 was also introduced at $99 for a while. As version 2, it now has tighter specs, a fancier case, and accessories, like BNC probes, and pages of tutorials and documentation. If we go to Digikey or Mouser just to buy its main ADC chip, an AD9648 (dual 14 bit 105MS/s), that alone will set us back US$80.

• It looks to me very much like the Analog Discovery. The linked document is very thorough about what's inside. No wonder they are similar. They are both at their root Analog Devices products and engineering, co-developed with Digilent. I wonder too, what is going on with Analog Devices, coming out with a competitor at lower cost.

Analog Discovery has been around for several years. At $280, you'd expect it to be well along, but its original version 1 was also introduced at $99 for a while. As version 2, it now has tighter specs, a fancier case, and accessories, like BNC probes, and pages of tutorials and documentation. If we go to Digikey or Mouser just to buy its main ADC chip, an AD9648 (dual 14 bit 105MS/s), that alone will set us back US$80.

I noticed the ADALM-2000 have an FPGA inside too, like the Analog Discovery 2.

Right now I'm still waiting for the ADALM2000 to be in stock, but seems that the documentations and the software are quite sparse compared to the Analog Discovery 2.

Any recommendations on which one is better? :)
  • Quote from Employee:
    Yes, when available, it will be shipped directly by ADI and it's distribution channels.
    Not everyone needs to use Kickstarter to make product pre-announcements . 
    It should be shipping end of May, assuming there are no issues in the final revision of hardware.
  • Sounds very good depending on his price and what they have, but i have Hantek USB oscilloscope i use just for hobby i think this is Best USB Oscilloscope for his price. if anyone else uses то tell me more about it.
    edited 2017-05-27 14:08
    Just got an email from Analog. It seems the item is shipping from Singapore now. They are estimating a delivery to me on July 10, 2017.

Scopy is loaded and ready to go.
  • My estimated delivery is July 7.
  • Slow Boat? :)
    What's the best ADC specs for MCU ADC's these days... ?

I see recent Microchip news claims
    PIC32MK MC devices combine 32-bit processing with advanced analog peripherals such as a quad 10 MHz op amp, high-speed comparators and motor-control optimized Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) modules. The devices also have Analog-to-Digital Converter (ADC) modules capable of total throughput of 25.45 Mega-Samples Per Second (MSPS) in 12-bit mode or 33.79 MSPS in 8-bit mode, enabling higher precision in motor control applications. The devices come with up to 1 MB Live Update Flash, 4 KB of EEPROM and 256 KB SRAM.
    - but that 33.79 MSPS in 8-bit mode is across 7 units, so it is a little creative, as it is not per channel..
    Suggests you can interleave all 7 and burst into the 256k RAM at that sample rate, means it stores 7.75ms of info, single channel CRO ?

• Just called Analog and the "dock" date is now the 31st, instead of the 10th that they quoted in the last email.
  • Looks like Mouser has 176 backorder and expected 7/25/2017.
  • Hopefully before end of July

I contacted the product line engineer to see when these boards are available to ship.
    I will contact you, as soon as, I have an update.
    Thank You and Best Regards,Victoria Gugliotta

• I would not recommend these to anyone. I have the ADALM1000 and I never could get it to work. The USB driver isn't compatible with win7 32 bit. I talked to engineering, used the wiki (quite useless by the way) , their forum and nothing. I guess it could be possible it was bad from new stock but the led's light up. Maybe the software and driver works for win,8,10, I don't know.
  • Hopefully the ADALM2000 works better as they are trying to get them into schools. The Scopy software seemed to install fine. The USB install will come later when the board arrives. I'll try on WIN7 and WIN10.
  • I'd rather see the BS2 go to the schools at least they work out of the box.
  • My "dock" date has been moved up to Aug 10. I noticed Mouser and Digikey still have none in stock.

Who gets them first? :)
  • Publison wrote: »
    My "dock" date has been moved up to Aug 10. I noticed Mouser and Digikey still have none in stock.

Who gets them first? :)

Dock date for me is now Aug 23. :(

edited 2017-08-29 14:54
    I don't think the these things exist yet. Per Analog Customer Service today, my date is now Sept. 16. Geesh, if it going to be November-December, just let us know. I may not have the same shipping address by then.

No stock Digikey or Mouser. Who else ordered one of these?

I noticed there is no curriculum set up on the web site for schools to use.

But they do have my money. :(
  • They keep re-authorize my debit card once a month, but never finalize the charge.
    It's weird that it's taking this long, they already had fully working engineering versions so why not just start manufacturing them?
    They keep re-authorize my debit card once a month, but never finalize the charge.
    It's weird that it's taking this long, they already had fully working engineering versions so why not just start manufacturing them?
    hehe, we all know that 'fully working engineering versions' are often 'not quite ready to release'....
    - and they may have some chip errata they decided to wait for, or maybe they are 'crowd funding' this so some backlog number is needed to hit 'go' ?

• Of course there have plenty of these in stock at Digikey:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/analog-devices-inc/ADALP2000/ADALP2000-ND/5125379

Got mine yesterday. Lots of good parts for the price. All SMD components are on breadboard friendly adapters.
    edited 2017-10-11 15:45
    ADALM2000 put off until 11/6/2017 this time. Starting to sound like the time schedule for the P2. :) Just kidding Chip.